All You Ken Timms Owners - STRINGS ??

dmecha1012

Reaction score
I have recently received my Ken Timms Soprano Uke.
Wow is it loud!...................almost uncomfortable. It came with Aquilas.

To all you owners of this marvelous instrument, what has been your experience as to the best matching strings? I think I need to make a change.

I liked either Worth BMs or Southcoast MUs. The former were mellower (I preferred them for strumming) and the latter had better note separation.

Both Worth and SC make "soft" or "light" sets -- they may help with the volume.

Cheers.

Edited to add: what a wonderful problem -- to have too much volume on a tiny acoustic instrument!

Last edited:
I love Freemont Blacklines on mine. It gives it a great old time Martin sound.

don't strum/pick so hard. I put Worth Browns on my cedar top to warm it up, not sure how they affected volume. Love Martins on my Martin Style 0.

I had Martin strings on it, but I put some Worth Brown mediums on and I love it.

I too am learning how to approach my Timms for best tone. Currently working with Worth Browns as well, I find they bark without so much bite, and have a nice solid tone when plucked.

Well................Worth BM and Freemont Blacklines it is! I will give it
a go.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advise.

I'm currently very happy with Living Water. Curious to try Worth Brown and Fremont Blacklines, but also don't want to mess with a good thing...

Worth Clears for me. I've tried Aquilas and Worth Browns on it, I liked the clears best.

@demecha2012, did you try both the Worth Browns and/or Fremont Blacklines? Will be putting some Fremonts on mine in the next day or so.

EDIT: Just threw them on. Early read is they sound fantastic. Must less strident than the Aquilas that came on it. And mine has a black nut and saddle, so they look fantastic, too. Which is important to me as well.

EDIT: The Fremonts sound good to my strummed. Much less wild about them on this uke for fingerstyle.

Last edited:
Ah updated opinions?

Not an opinion as such but a comment that might be helpful to someone.

IIRC Ukacaster had a Timms at one point and tried some different strings on it (Martin M600’s ?), might even have been a comparison video too.
Edit. Seems like he compared three choices (worth browns, worth clears and m600) : https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?129624-NUD-Timms&highlight=Timms and https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?130504-Timms-Style-0&highlight=Timms
You might like to ask Ukecaster for his recollection of the comparisons.

Also IIRC Mr T used to use Aquila strings but when his stock was exhausted he opted to move to (off of the reel) fluorocarbon fishing line which he felt sounded good and was economic for him. Again IIRC, he felt that most of his customers changed the as supplied strings to their personally preferred ones so those that he fitted would likely have a limited life but still had to sound OK.

Last edited:
Ukecaster's Timms lives with me now! :D

I think I prefer the Timms with the richer, rounder sound of nylons. Fluoros do give it a ton of jangle, if that's what you are after.

Got D'Addario Nyltechs strung up on it right now, but Aquila Nylguts sound great too.

Top Bottom