What strings for KA-ASAC-C?

Jerwin

Reaction score
Hey there,

Just wondering what strings you settled on for your Kala Acacia Concert uke?

Have any of you tried replacing plastic nut and saddle with fancy name "NUBONE XB" for a regular bone or ebony?

Hi, I have a different concert, not that model/wood and I really like Living Waters on mine.

I do have a question--I thought those models came with an ebony nut and saddle. Is that not the case? (I've been thinking about getting the tenor version.)

My Kelii came with a rosewood nut and saddle. I recently replaced the saddle with a Tusq one, which is made by the same company that makes NuBone. It was pretty easy, just took a little sanding. I don't know that I'd bother about replacing the nut; it only matters for action and resonating the open strings, as far as I know.

Try Martins, they are cheap and readily available at almost any music store. That's my goto string on my Martin Koa concert. I had a bone saddle installed on it and the difference is not really apparent to my ear (standard was Tusq). I would think bone would make a lot of difference from ebony.

Try Martins, they are cheap and readily available at almost any music store. That's my goto string on my Martin Koa concert. I had a bone saddle installed on it and the difference is not really apparent to my ear (standard was Tusq). I would think bone would make a lot of difference from ebony.

Martins are great, indeed. I have them on both of my sopranos.

I didn't mention in my previous post that switching from rosewood to Tusq was not a very big difference in sound, from what I could tell. (Though really, I should have made recordings before and after. Silly me.) If the new models have NuBone, I don't know that going to bone would be a big change either. And frankly, NuBone to me is an upgrade from ebony.

I have a Kala Acacia Tenor - and Worth Browns sound luscious on that.

I would keep the nut it has. Kala is known for using black NuBone as well. Good stuff, I have one.

I would keep the nut it has. Kala is known for using black NuBone as well. Good stuff, I have one.

I will replace it with bone pieces. I am pretty sure Kala does not use plastic material cuz it should sound better but cuz it's way easier (and cheaper) to produce in huge series.

On the other hand, it's something that almost everybody can fix if it bothers you and the uke is made superbly for this price.

Aha--their website says ebony for that model, but maybe they're changing things up and using NuBone instead.

I will replace it with bone pieces. I am pretty sure Kala does not use plastic material cuz it should sound better but cuz it's way easier (and cheaper) to produce in huge series.

On the other hand, it's something that almost everybody can fix if it bothers you and the uke is made superbly for this price.

I thought it was pretty easy to change the saddle, but the nut would not be something I would replace myself. But of course, I don't know your experience with ukes and doing this kind of work; it might be a breeze for you.

I said above, I don't think going from NuBone to bone would be a big difference. UkerDanno made a similar change and he said he didn't find it to be noticeable. Kanilea uses NuBone and KoAloha uses Tusq, and those companies' ukes are pretty awesome. Everyone is free to do with their ukes as they wish, I'm just saying that the change may not be worth your time and money, that's all.

Top Bottom