Hilo GCEA baritone strings has anyone used them?

iamesperambient

Reaction score
hi all! so i have been having money troubles and had to sell all my ukes except for my rogue baritone. I usually keep it string with living water re-entrant G sets (dGBE) but now that i have no smaller ukes i wanted to set it up like a 'jumbo' tenor. I found Hilo GCEA baritone strings online for 5.50 with 1 dollar flat shipping how could i pass it up?

Has anyone ever used these? also i can't find any videos online of a baritone uke playing in C6 tuning does anyone have a reference to compare the sound of a C tuned bari next to say a tenor?

I have used that exact set and enjoyed them on a Pohaku Bari. Hilo strings are underrated.

GCEA tuning on a baritone does not, however, drive the large body and soundboard well. It is a rather thin use of the generous build, and thus I went back to re-entrant baritone tuning with Southcoast strings after a month.

I am thinking of doing the same thing to my PONO Bari, I have the HILO string with LOW G also, will they work? I don't want to learn another set of chords

im using re-entrant G tuning so its DGBE but with the high D string i quite like it
kind of a good mix of the lower baritone sound with the close harmony of a smaller uke.
I just miss having the standard uke sound being i don't have one at the moment.
I suppose if i don't like it i will just go back to living water re-entrant G strings.

I am thinking of doing the same thing to my PONO Bari, I have the HILO string with LOW G also, will they work? I don't want to learn another set of chords

btw you don't need to learn a new set of chords all the shapes are EXACTLY the same on baritone as they are on soprano/concert/tenor
just the name changes as its tuned 5 semi tones lower ( i believe). So your C chord on soprano would be a G on baritone, your G would be a D
your D would be an A and so forth its pretty easy to transcribe once you get the hang of it, also if you play guitar the chords are the same as guitar too
and being i play guitar also it was a no brainer. the baritone is interesting because it shows how similar ukuleles and guitars really are. Its a great practice tool
to learn both instruments also, and the fact that you can have a baritone in DGBE just like a guitar or a re-entrant dGBE or gcea and other tunings makes it
a very versatile instrument not to mention the scale length is great for jazz, and also for people who are a bit larger. I do miss having a concert/tenor though
but for now i was hoping to treat my baritone as a 'jumbo tenor' with the right strings will see how it goes if i dont like it, ill go back to the re-entrant G living water strings.

Top Bottom