Next Uke for my wife

If this was going to be your first upgrade Ukulele which would you choose?

• Koaloha Opio Soprano w/Hard Case $408

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Pono MSD Soprano Deluxe w/Hard Case $468

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Big Island Honu Soprano (Koa solid) w/Hard Case $425

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Kiwaya Eco Series KS-5 KOA Soprano No Case $390

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • They are all as good as each other, just different, so pick one!

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

Spangles

Reaction score
Results in: The Opio gets it and has been ordered.

Thanks everyone.

Quick intro:

My wife has been playing for about a year. She has an inexpensive $60 Soprano 12 Fret (can't recall the name offhand) which she likes and it sounds pretty good.

She takes lessons once a week and attends a 'jam session' once a month.

She has spoken about upgrading to a 'nicer' Soprano and I have spoken with her teacher and he said she would likely enjoy and appreciate a new instrument.

EDIT: Condensed into the Poll above. Thank you for sharing your opinion, it is appreciated.

So, with a $400 budget, (and a desire to buy from a place that will thoroughly check the instrument before shipment) I have identifed the following as possible candidates:

Pono MGSD Mango Soprano Deluxe w/UPT tuners

Martin S1

Loprinzi Model A Cherry (over budget but willing to stretch for this one if it's THAT good)

Eastman EU3S

Kala KA-ASOV-S Solid Spruce & Ovangkol

Kiwaya KS-5

at least I didn't say "narrowed it down" ;)

Elderly Instruments and theukulelesite.com seem to be well respected; I am happy to consider others too.

If the Loprinzi is going to consistently be the number one recommendation then please offer a second option just incase I decide not to stretch the budget.

I have spent hours reading this forum and learning about ukulele ownership and decided it was time to register and get some direct advice.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Since you mentioned HMS(the ukulelesite), you might want to consider the KoAloha Opio soprano. I have one and did the upgrade to the Oasis tuner and the Oahu hardcase. That gets you to just over $400 and you get free shipping.

I would totally get a LoPrinzi. The mahogany model is a little cheaper than the cherry: http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/LPAM-S.htm

If that's just too much, then definitely follow the previous suggestion: get the KoAloha Opio with the upgraded Oahu case. (It is a much, much nicer case than the canvas-covered one.) If your wife doesn't want another 12-fret model, though, get a Pono.

Last edited:
All great choices! The Koaloha Opio soprano would certainly be a good choice as would the LoPrinzi. Also the Kiwaya KS-5. Think she would be pleased with any of them.

God dyslexia can be fun - At first glance of the post title I thought I saw " Next wife for my uke". Glad is isn't so.

I'm sure she'll be happy with any of those fine choices

I've a very soft spot for Kiwaya after the KTS-4 I had. Loved it.

I think a new kiwaya from HMS would be the bomb. They are beautiful ukes, and are well worth the price.

I compared mine to a 1930 mint Martin and could barely tell the difference. And you CANNOT go wrong with HMS. That is where I got my Kts-4 and many other ukes.

Here is the site for their Kiwayas - http://www.theukulelesite.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=kiwaya

Do let us know what you picked! and Happy Holidays to you and your wife!

Last edited:
Wow! Amazing response so quickly.

I'm trying to keep to 12 frets total or to the body, which I THINK will be familiar enough for her to immediately feel comfortable. This rules out the Mahogany Loprinzi and the rather gorgeous Walnut Bruko being sold by a member here. Of course, that link to the Marketplace had me browsing and even though it is all wrong I am captivated by BennyHana's Uluru Pukana La IIC AAA Koa Concert. Stunning but maybe 2 years from now......

That is a very good deal on the Koaloha Opio though it looks like I would need to make a decision soon given the backlog of instruments undergoing PDI. I expect I have a few days yet though.

So, with your help I am narrowing the list (or perhaps simply swapping in and swapping out) but maybe I'll simplify the list and add a Poll just to see where the preferences lie. Clearly, the end decision will be mine but this forum has clearly helped many make such decisions so I would be foolish to ignore this wealth of wisdom.

Poll coming shortly :)

My recommndation is a Mele Soprano.

Had a Mele Soprano that I traded for a tenor. If I ever get another Soprano, Mele would be the very first one considered. For the OP's budget a really good Soprano and gig bag combo is available at the Mele website,

Last edited:
KoAloha Opio has a great reputation. If you'll get one of those, you might want to consider changing the friction tuners to geared Gotoh UPT (HMS offers that for an upcharge). They look the same but will make tuning a lot easier.

Perhaps you should also look at the satin finished entry level Ponos in Acacia, Mango or Mahogany. They're a bit cheaper and might sound even better due to the thinness of the finish. Same thing about upgrading the tuners, though.

And finally: One thing I enjoy about Ukes is their different sizes. So getting a new Uke is always a chance not only to try a different maker, but also another size. A Concert usually sounds a lot different from a Soprano, so it will enable new playing styles, different techniques etc.

Anyway, wonderful idea for a Christmas present!

Thank you everyone for your time and wise words.

I shall endeavor to take in every piece of advice and, combined with the final results of the Poll (I'll leave it open till tonight), make a decision at the end of today.

I will post back here when I have placed the order.

Once you have two in the family, you will start playing along with her too, right? :)
Now that we have you here .....
Welcome, Spangles!

At the recent Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway in November, the most impressive sounding ukulele I heard all weekend was this one, and it had some amazing competition. It's also in your price range:

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/sailor-brand-solid-cedar-poplar-limba-super-soprano-ukulele

Phil, I'm not a soprano person at all, but I saw this uke too, in fact, my friend Ann bought it. I messed around with it, and it had the best sound of any soprano I've ever held. Sailors are definitely worth a lookie-see....
I think it was a super soprano tho, ain't that more frets than the OP wanted?

Once you have two in the family, you will start playing along with her too, right? :)
Now that we have you here .....
Welcome, Spangles!

Thank you.

Just took up the guitar last week; early days but I can at least play an octave without looking ;)

We've become a 'string family'; isn't there a theory about that? :D

.....I think it was a super soprano tho, ain't that more frets than the OP wanted?

Sadly you are right otherwise it would certainly have been in my shortlist. Thanks for adding your experience.

I voted for the Pono MSD but would have suggested the Martin OXK soprano if it was on the short list.

First off, welcome to the world of stringed instruments and the ukulele. Very nice you are learning guitar, I did the same then found the uke about 9 months ago and have not touched the guitar since. Kudos to you for making such a well thought out idea and effort for your wife's christmas gift. It is nice to see such thoughtfulness in a world jammed with bad news items 24/7.

I own both a Loprinzi and a Koaloha Opio, get the Opio. There has been nothing but high praise from every single person who has bought one. At that price you are getting something that competes with instruments twice the price. A close second would be the Kiwaya, real close, like personal preference close ;)

Top Bottom