The Concert Vita Uke

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
When Roy Smeck had the idea for the Vita Uke harmony produced a complete range. I have only ever seen the poor condition sopranos and have made quite a few. However, this concert size is my absolute favourite ukulele:

This has an Alpine spruce front that is bound with rosewood. An Oregon myrtle back and sides with Brazilian mahogany neck fitted with Gotoh planetary tuners.

Obviously has a high gloss lacquer finish and the classic no binding to the back.

After making about 10 of these I've eventually figured out how to put them together. The tone and volume from these is remarkably sweet and strong. I could make these every day of the week!

Very nice Pete. Any time you can move the sound hole up and away from the traditional location you can expect an improvement in sound. Interesting solution on the upper bout bend. Plastic bindings? BTW, I don't know anything about the vita uke and I've never known what the sound hole shape is supposed to represent. Are they seals? Birds?

Rosewood binding - plastic deforms too much and setting the iron for bending cellulose on such a tight bend you still get cupping. So I use an extension to my bending iron. The sound holes are 'performing seals' - an ironic nod to Roy's act I would imagine. On the originals there is a block like what you see here. That bend at 5/8" radius is far too tight for hot iron or blanket bending. I used to veneer a plywood block but that too was as difficult. This solution though not aesthetically 100% pleasing it the best compromise. It took me working on carving my boat paddle neck heals to figure out how to do the 'club foot' style elegantly.
Thanks for the thumbs up Chuck. Peer assessment is by far the most important evaluation of ones work.Here's the video:

Last edited:
Love it, very nice. It's interesting how the sides hit the, what I assume, is the neck block. Is that so? And I just love myrtle

Beautiful instrument, Pete. It is a sweet sounding uke. I like that it is a vita concert, instead of a soprano.
That makes me wonder if the vita style would also work as a tenor?

It's really hard to get the proportions right on the tenor. I've made 2 and was not 100% happy with the design. They sounded great. I also made two for a ventriloquist/magician who wanted them to modify for props in his act. Those were the days!

Last edited:
Very nice Pete. I like the myrtle.

One of the two just finished is for me. I actually have a collection of Vita ukes. I have the original although it is much cracked and warped. As far as I know they were made with very thin tops and it is virtually impossible to find one with no cracks.

I also have the Ukiyo copy. The Ohana Copy and the Chuck Frayne Frisco Uke. My Frisco uke is virtually not playable as it seems to have a loose internal brace and the top would have to be removed to fix it. The Ohana Copy is more of a "tribute" as is the Frisco uke. It is far from an exact copy. I got it used and very cheap. When Pete and I corresponded about my interest in Vita ukes and his, he said that he could build me one and I jumped at the chance. All of the ones that I currently own are "rescues". An amateur luthier friend of mine did a great job of restoring an old Vita. It's an amazing uke. My Vita has seen better days. The Ukiyo looks like it but doesn't sound like it. The Ohana copy is just a cheap laminated Chinese uke in a sort of Vita size and shape. However, it is a very loud cheap Chinese uke. My plan is one of these days to do a You Tube video demoing the collection. I am very excited to be getting the Vita Uke from Pete. Not just because it adds to my collection but because Pete is one of the best builders, and every uke from a master builder at the peak of their skills is a unique work of art to be treasured and enjoyed. Some people have a "thing" for old Martins, mine is for Vita ukes. They are a unique part of Uke history.

:drool: I think it's awesome. Love how it looks and how it sounds......and it's a concert.:iwant:

IMPORTANT NOTE:
This is NOT a reproduction but my interpretation of what a concert to be. The headstock is a different shape and construction, so is the heel section of the neck as well as the neck joint. The bridge is also different (and in the correct place - it never was on any of the sopranos I have seen) as is the back and side wood (I cannot get figured mahogany here in the UK any more and also cannot ship it!) It's the best 're-imagining' I can do and I hope it is faithful in 'essence' to the original which I have only seen in the catalogue publicity shot produced by Harmony.

I just love the understated elegance of your instruments Pete. Who needs bling when the construction is that clean. The perfect lines are enough. Always makes me rethink my obsession with abalone...

Bridge placement. A12 ffret to the body join places the bridge just a little too low for my liking.

The one you made me only has 12 frets to the body and it's the best sounding concert uke I've ever heard. If you've managed to improve on it I'm stunned.

Top Bottom