Feeling like a Yummy Mango Soprano

fretie

Reaction score
So, if I was dreaming of a yummy Hawaiian mango wood soprano uke with an abalone sound hole rosette where would I look?

Got a lead on a local maker who may be able to make one for me but I'm hesitating due to his early days as a luthier.

Looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions.

Mya-Moe ...if you can get on the list and are willing to wait. I can think of lots of other mango sopranos, but not ones with abalone.

I would check with Black Bear ukes. He is an active member, makes great sopranos, very well established and regarded.

Pono hasn't made a pro classic with mango, I think. Those are the only ones with abalone.

Lanikai makes a spalted mango with abalone. But not soprano. Oscar Schmidt's are not solid, I think.

Mainland, Pono, Big Island all make mango models, but no abalone.

Last edited:
Pono hasn't made a pro classic with mango, I think. Those are the only ones with abalone.

Lanikai makes a spalted mango with abalone. But not soprano. Oscar Schmidt's are not solid, I think.

Thank you, Wayfarer, I appreciate your summary.

Sorry ... yes, no abalone on the Pono ... however, the tone on the Deluxe is really nice ... good luck.

Play it first before you buy...try before you buy to see if it fits your taste and liking
So, if I was dreaming of a yummy Hawaiian mango wood soprano uke with an abalone sound hole rosette where would I look?

Got a lead on a local maker who may be able to make one for me but I'm hesitating due to his early days as a luthier.

Looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions.

Play it first before you buy...try before you buy to see if it fits your taste and liking

Absolutely the best advice, whether buying a mango ukulele or a mango milkshake.

And, one step further: since mango is one of the most variable sounding woods, slice-to-slice, best to try the exact uke you want before you buy if you can (custom, of course, you can't do this with; may have a reasonable sound, or may own a custom doorstop).

I have, to date, never heard a mango uke that knocked my socks off. Maybe I need looser socks.

Note: I no longer own a mango uke and now drink yummy spinach, chocolate & banana smoothies.

Last edited:
What.... all in the same one?

I came over for the milkshake. Gonna go make me one of those green smoothies ... right now.
That video led me to this one, which does indeed have some mango in it. Yum.
Just to return it to ... um ... the original topic? Sort of?

PS: I have no idea whatsoever about mango ukes. With or without abalone. Mango shakes, I'm all in.
End of diversion. ??? Sorry. As you were.

Smoothies aside, though I do find most any kind yummy, I am in love with the look of hawaiian mango wood, so much so that I'm willing to take a chance on a custom uke which of course I can't try ahead of time. Call me a risk taker, you'd be right, but maybe this gamble will bring me a handsome uke AND good sound. Fingers crossed!

Top Bottom