Replacement Tuners on a late 1940s Martin Tenor

homerB

Reaction score
Does anyone have insight regarding the effect on value of replacing the original tuners on a late 1940s Martin tenor with Gotoh's planetary tuners? Thanks in advance for your posts.

I think that if you have quality a collector instrument, you will kill the value. If you have something that is a player, then do what males you want to play it. That said, I have a beat up ol' Martin Style 0 and would NOT modify it whatsoever for tuners. They're not the easiest to work with, but I can make do.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree with UkerDanno's assessment. Replacing worn-out tuners with new improved planetary tuners makes sense to me. The Grover Dulcimer/Ukulele 4:1 planetaries have an excellent reputation. They require a 3/8" peghole though. See http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?102243-Pegheds-on-a-Vintage-Martin

Iamno --

Thank you for your post and for your reference to the other thread. It never ceases to amaze me how many different views there might be.

Randy

The Gotah planetary tuners are no doubt easy to use, but the gear barrel on the back of the head stock looks clunky. The Champion style are still made today if the old ones need replacing. While geared tuners are easy so are the 1 - 1 originals. If it isn't broke don't fix it.

Does anyone have insight regarding the effect on value of replacing the original tuners on a late 1940s Martin tenor with Gotoh's planetary tuners? Thanks in advance for your posts.

If you plan to keep the uke, make it playable for you, find tuners that you not alter the holes and devalue it, if
You ever want to sell it as original again

A little morbid, but...

If you plan on dying with that uke still in your possession, do whatever you want with it. You won't be around to sell the uke, so it doesn't matter. Make it easy for you to play. However, if you see yourself selling the uke any time in the near future, I wouldn't alter its originality at all.

Personally, I wouldn't change the tuners. I would do whatever it takes to keep it original but playing well. Other members have spoken about adding leather washers or lubing the tuners. I'd take it to a local luthier that knows what they are doing with ukuleles and ask for further assistance.

I enjoy Martin ukuleles and own a few. Lol

I would never buy one with Gotoh tuners. (Unless the original tuners were included AND the Gotoh fat barrel did not damage the headstock finish, and since I can't tell on eBay, I would pass in it). I agree with Zac and the others.

Tighten your friction tuners considerably. They hold well and are great tuners, esp. The 1940s ones. Get to about where you want them for tuning, then tighten them VERY firmly with screwdriver. They work, and have on that uke for, what, 75 years? Lol.

Great uke you have. Since you have some concern about its value, it must be decent. Martins are sagging compared to 2-3 years ago, no doubt; following the trend of ukes in general. With the next upswing, you'll be pleased with its value (if it has original tuners lol). Cheers!

Last edited:
Top Bottom