Super Simple Gilligans Island Tab / Tux Guitar

Brian1

Reaction score
GilligansIslandTuxguitar_zps2517889a.jpg

I am trying to learn a couple of things at once here, I am trying to learn to play melody and learn how to create tabs in TUX guitar (free music program)

My ability is not that advanced in either. (as you can probably tell from the picture). You will notice that the 2nd and 4th measures are the same and the 3rd and 5th measures are the same (but I will likely change the 5th) I entered them each in by hand but I thought to myself, there must be a easier way...

So, does anyone know if it is possible to cut and paste in TUX guitar? And if you do can I have at least a hint ?

That leads to the next question, in a couple of measures I am going to have to change the chords and do the entire thing again in another key, any idea how I might do that automatically ? Because the way I am doing it now, is not much fun at all.

Keep in mind I have only done a few tabs myself when you look at the above constructive criticism is welcome, but keep in mind I really am trying to keep it within my ability to play, I can always add more later.

Thanks, I have that, and it does sound pretty good (and almost the same) that way, I am trying to learn the software and learn to arrange (is that the right word?) the melody. (taking baby steps) I picked this song because I could look at a sheet like that and pretty much pick out the melody notes. (maybe I am on the wrong path ?)

But more than anything I am looking for info on Tux guitar copy /paste functions. THanks though :)

GuitarTux2_zpsdcd54c82.jpg

FOUND IT !

control + c is copy

and control + v is paste
(when you hit control +c a box appears and you can select how many measures you want to copy)

you are given a long list of short cuts under tools if anyone is interested.

Also I didn't mention it before but Tux Guitar does not really have a ukulele to select from the list of instruments but you can choose a nylon string guitar and change the number of strings from 6 to 4. (You do this by double clicking part where "steel guitar" is default at the bottom of the page, then you scroll up one to nylon string guitar. That will then offer you a place to select the number of strings and change the settings to A4, E4, C4, and G4 (for gCEA tuning) if you want low G you can select G3 (i think)

Last edited:
I play that song all the time.

its a fun one. It gets an immediate emotional response for some reason.

its a fun one. It gets an immediate emotional response for some reason.
A friend owns a sailboat charter that takes people out for two and four hour cruises. I think that he should hire me to entertain his passengers, and that is one of the songs that I could sing.

A friend owns a sailboat charter that takes people out for two and four hour cruises. I think that he should hire me to entertain his passengers, and that is one of the songs that I could sing.

was it conscious decision not to offer A THREE HOUR TOUR ! ?

Learning to play, notate, and use a new computer program all at the same time is little frustrating, this must be what it feels like for a one armed man to tie his shoes. He knows what to do but everything is a lot more difficult...

Anyway I had a little more time to work on this and thought I would put up the first verse to see if anyone has any suggestions or corrections before I try to figure out how to get the computer to copy the next section in Em. There are a couple of things I know I need to change such as some of the chord icons are wrong, and the thing says A# when I want it to say Bb. Then there is the measure 16 -- I really don't know what to put there.

Here is what I have so far all comments are welcome:
GilliganTux3_zpsf7d8f8fd.jpg

Just a fun little aside...

Did you know that the lyrics to "Amazing Grace" can be sung perfectly to the Gilligan's Island theme?

Try it. :p

Amazing Grace!
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind but now I see

'Twas Grace that taught my heart to fear
And Grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come
'Tis Grace has brought me safe thus far
And Grace will lead me home

The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures;
He will my sheild and portion be,
As long as life endures

Yet, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall posess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we've been there ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun

No I didn't know that. I did know you can sing the lyrics to Gilligan's Island to the music for stairway to heaven.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG2lTB-UVvs
And I knew that you can read the lyrics to every Emily Dickinson poem to the music "Yellow Rose of Texas". :)

Emily Dickinson, 1830 - 1886

Because I could not stop for Death –
He kindly stopped for me –
The Carriage held but just Ourselves –
And Immortality.

We slowly drove – He knew no haste
And I had put away
My labor and my leisure too,
For His Civility –

We passed the School, where Children strove
At Recess – in the Ring –
We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain –
We passed the Setting Sun –

Or rather – He passed us –
The Dews drew quivering and chill –
For only Gossamer, my Gown –
My Tippet – only Tulle –

We paused before a House that seemed
A Swelling of the Ground –
The Roof was scarcely visible –
The Cornice – in the Ground –

Since then – ‘tis Centuries – and yet
Feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses’ Heads
Were toward Eternity –

Last edited:
Thanks camsuke. THis is an excersize for myself. I hadn't seen that on ukulelehunt I will take a look at it over there but I want to try to learn how to do this first. In this case I want to learn how to take chords and add some melody, and learn how to use Tux Guitar. :)

The theory being I will get better if I learn from reading others and then actually do it myself. I am also trying to learn to read music so I can read the notes and not just tab. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:

Well I am not going to keep replying to myself everytime I am figure something out- I did figure out how to copy paste the song from the begining and transpose it up so I didn't have to do all the work again, with the "transpose" function that can transpose my tabs into any key I like. (something I couldn't do if I just went to Uke of Carl or Uke(pause)hunt :)

TuxGTranspo_zps72358c21.jpg

Last edited:
Brian1, I've been meaning to tackle TuxGuitar as well. I've dabbled a bit with it and PowerTab. IMO, TG is superior just for the transposing feature alone.

However, the printed output from its built-in PDF feature is butt ugly.

When you get to where you want to create nice engravings to share, I suggest you download LilyPond (also free). The input for LP is incredibly convoluted, but you don't need to learn it at all. TG will export a file to the LP format, and from there you can open it in LP and "print" with any PDF program.

LP creates a really elegant and professional looking engraving. :)

Thanks for the input, I don't know how I missed your post yesterday.

I will take a look at LilyPond when I get a little more comfortable with TG the output might be ugly but the penguin is adorable ! :)

TuxPenguin_zps0cb6ac3d.jpg

Re the A# vs Bb thing: IIRC TG is built to use either sharps or flats, but never a mix. Which is correct from a technical point of view as A# and Bb are the same note - it's just not what we're used to (I'll take a bet that most uke players would be faster showing you an Bb chord than an A# chord)

I assume you are right, I wonder if I can make it say B flat, it give me a place to name chords.

Top Bottom