Question about Bb (flat) tuning on the baritone.

hammer40

Reaction score
I did a quick change to Bb (flat) tuning on the baritone and liked it. So are there new chords/shapes to learn in this tuning? Or is it like the GCEA/DGBE tuning where the shapes are the same, just the names change? I Googled this, but couldn't come up with anything on it.

Its same shapes but different names. Think of it as transposing chords. Its 2 semitones lower than GCEA or 3 semitones higher than DGBE. I drop down from C tuning to Bb tuning on a tenor all the time. Taking a baritone UP 3 semitones is a bit of a stretch though. I've taken baritones to A tuning but I'm not sure about the extra semi-tone.'

Anthony

I think I may have found my answer in some older threads about using Bb on the tenor. It does seem I can use the same shapes for Bb on the baritone, but just know that the chord will actually be higher (since I am tuned higher), as in the tenor vs baritone scenario. If I am incorrect please feel free to correct me. Sorry for this probably basic question, but music theory really confuses the heck out of me for some reason.

Its same shapes but different names. Think of it as transposing chords. Its 2 semitones lower than GCEA or 3 semitones higher than DGBE. I drop down from C tuning to Bb tuning on a tenor all the time. Taking a baritone UP 3 semitones is a bit of a stretch though. I've taken baritones to A tuning but I'm not sure about the extra semi-tone.'

Anthony

Ha, I was typing as you were posting your response. Thanks, and good to know I can use the same shapes and just realize the chord (higher) names are different.

One nice thing about Bb tuning is that you can capo at the 2nd fret and you are back to GCEA tuning. This allows you to play just like you always have and to easily play along with others without having to transpose.

or you can tune DGBE and capo on the third fret and get Bb. That is what I do when I want to sing a song in Bb

Top Bottom