Stage 1 UAS

pluck

Reaction score
Hi. I'm on my 4th week of a ukulele obsession. I have a question regarding the owning of multiple ukes: If one owned and enjoyed playing both Tenor and Soprano ukes would there be an real reason to acquire a Concert? It seems to me that the Concert is great for anyone who wants a one size fits all uke or is otherwise uncomfortable playing either a Soprano or Tenor. Please set me straight if there is more to it than that. Thanks.

Last edited:
It's a very individual thing. I like concert size because it tends to retain the forceful, treble-tinted tone of the soprano while giving me more room on the fingerboard. But I also play sopranos and tenors. Each has its own voice, and they are all pleasing.

I am monogamous to only one ukulele. I am alone in this. I just put this out here because I KNOW the UAS elves will tempt you to get more ukuleles! :-D

No matter what sort of individual responses you get here on your question, the reality is that only you can make the decision as to what feels and sounds good in you hands. If there is a shop nearby that carries a decent range of sizes, you should go spend a few hours touching, feeling and listening. Only then will you be able to answer your question.

There may not be a need for a concert, but certainly another tenor and soprano might be in order.

Each uke has it's own voice so if you can afford it, give it a try. I have three concerts that I rotate through on a regular basis so it is easy to justify those. I bought a tenor that is neglected (don't care for lo G tuning) but try to give it some lovin' every once in a while. I keep it for friends to use more than anything else.

I am monogamous to only one ukulele. I am alone in this. I just put this out here because I KNOW the UAS elves will tempt you to get more ukuleles! :-D
You are not alone in this.

Thanks for all the feedback. I thought I might be able to eliminate an entire class of ukes but I guess it's not that simple. I'm getting a Mainland tenor for Christmas and if I love it I'll consider unloading the old Lanikai 21C so I can practice some monogamy, at least for a while.

You are not alone in this.

Thanks for that. Really. I try really hard to stay out of these threads because I know my way is not the most popular. I just think I NEED to voice my thoughts. Everybody is different. I know that. I just find the UAS elves (it IS the holidays) are very vocal. Not that it is a bad thing.

A little Sherlock Holmes is in order here. "Pluck" titled this thread "Stage 1 UAS, so he knows what it means. He stated " I am on my 4th week of ukulele obsession"...........I noticed his joined date is Nov. 2014. So if you have only been playing ukulele 4 weeks and already own a tenor and a soprano and you are asking if you should buy a concert..............of course you should. UAS Elf over and out :music::music::music:

Thanks for that. Really. I try really hard to stay out of these threads because I know my way is not the most popular. I just think I NEED to voice my thoughts. Everybody is different. I know that. I just find the UAS elves (it IS the holidays) are very vocal. Not that it is a bad thing.
Yes, I read all the UAS threads too. I think that it is interesting, as my brother is like that with everything. Not only am I a one ukulele man, I'm a one cheap ukulele man, which makes me even more of a pariah here. I actually want a uke with a pickup, and I feel like I should upgrade in the process, but when my wife suggested I get a new one for Christmas, I panicked. I told her that I wasn't ready yet. Is that weird?

Yes, I read all the UAS threads too. I think that it is interesting, as my brother is like that with everything. Not only am I a one ukulele man, I'm a one cheap ukulele man, which makes me even more of a pariah here. I actually want a uke with a pickup, and I feel like I should upgrade in the process, but when my wife suggested I get a new one for Christmas, I panicked. I told her that I wasn't ready yet. Is that weird?

Well...a pick up? You NEED that.

Ps. Sorry to hijack. Back to your regular programming.

I try to take a rational approach to these things. I rationalize that I can afford UAS. I rationalize that it is worthwhile to try each size of ukulele. I rationalize that each ukulele should be a different make and tone wood. The only thing I am irrational about in this regard is that my ears must like the sound of each new acquisition. So far I haven't been committed; but I see my Shrink next month!

A little Sherlock Holmes is in order here. "Pluck" titled this thread "Stage 1 UAS, so he knows what it means. He stated " I am on my 4th week of ukulele obsession"...........I noticed his joined date is Nov. 2014. So if you have only been playing ukulele 4 weeks and already own a tenor and a soprano and you are asking if you should buy a concert..............of course you should. UAS Elf over and out :music::music::music:

The way you say it, I think I may really have a problem. It sounds kinda bad. I may have to give the Lanikai to one of my kids. At least I'll know where it is if I need it.

I may have to give the Lanikai to one of my kids. At least I'll know where it is if I need it.

That sounds like a great idea. You might get $75 for it on Craig's list with all the hassles involved or give it to someone who might become a jam buddy.

Happy hunting

I'm almost in the same camp. I only have two, and in fact have just sold my concert to help fund a soprano next year. So I will be faithful for at least the next nine months.

Ben

Well, size is certainly a personal thing. I've only played two tenors that I really liked, and don't enjoy sopranos at all, so all three of mine are concert size. One of them is a back up uke, my beater...the other two are set up differently....one has a pickup....
And no. Rlink, you are not weird....well, not because of that, anyaway.....
If I had a uke as nice as Sukie's (she let me play it once, god bless her) I'd be a one uke woman, well, maybe 'cept for a backup unit....

I don't have the acquisition thing going on either. Tenor seems a good size to me. But I do keep two (Kalas), so I can have both the re-entrant and low-G tunings available. Really, the music comes from the player, and lusting after more or different instruments is a terrible time waster, IMO.

DUD has played less than a year and bought, ordered, owned or sold about 1 Uke a month. Listen to his wise words. He knows what he is talking about.

Hi. I'm on my 4th week of a ukulele obsession. I have a question regarding the owning of multiple ukes: If one owned and enjoyed playing both Tenor and Soprano ukes would there be an real reason to acquire a Concert? It seems to me that the Concert is great for anyone who wants a one size fits all uke or is otherwise uncomfortable playing either a Soprano or Tenor. Please set me straight if there is more to it than that. Thanks.

I've been very happy with just tenor and soprano. I play my tenor ukes 80% of the time but the soprano is too fun to stop playing altogether. So it's a great change-up and one soprano is enough for me.

With that said, I was just mesmerized by a concert uke, despite my thoughtful plan to acquire another tenor next year. This concert reached out through the computer and grabbed me by the heart man!

Pete Howlett Concert Vita - check it out in the Builder/Luthier's Lounge section.

Last edited:
Top Bottom