WTD:Android key change app

Rodney.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for an app for Android that can transpose a song to a different key, with the user providing chords as input.
Any help is highly appreciated.

Any help is highly appreciated.
Even though it might not exactly be what you expected...

Read Howlin' Hobbit's excellent "Cheater Theory" document (linked on this page). This doc will give you a basic understanding of the chromatic scale - which is all you need for transposing.
"Transposing" is not more or less than simply changing the key of a song - in other words: moving all chords on the chromatic scale in the same direction (up or down) and the same distance (number of notes).

Not convinced?
This is the chromatic scale:
C | C#/Db | D | D#/Eb | E | F | F#/Gb | G | G#/Ab | A | A#/Bb | B
after the last note it starts all over again, i.e. the next notes after B are C and C#, just an octave higher

Transposing a song from e.g. C to G:
- count the number of notes from C to G: 7 notes
- move every chord of your song 7 notes up. Consider only the first letter of the chord name (the root note), the rest (e.g "maj7") does not change at all. E.g. any C chord becomes a G, any D chord becomes an A, etc.

That's all. As simple as that.
And that's why I don't think you need an app for that (apart maybe some picture viewer or similar for the chromatic scale as a visual aid)

You explained it nicely, however...

For me as a beginner to intermediate player, it takes too much effort to "move" the chord i see written on the paper/screen by specific number of notes while playing the song at the same time.
This makes it unrealistic to play even simple song without rewriting it to paper and/or practicing few times "unclean" - If i don't play song from memory only, i read C chord, i play C chord, oh no, wait, it should have been ... (counting on fingers) ... "F", because i play in different key now...

This can be problem in group playing - "Hey people, let's play song X in key of C", damn, i have it in G only... :(

Many experienced players can easily transpose on the fly, but app allows also less seasoned players to join "unexpected" song.
It is not necessary, but convenient helper extending the possibilities...

As i haven't seen any app (suggestions/tips welcome) that would suit my needs, be nicely controllable/appealing, and "offline", I have recently started playing with android development, and am trying to get my own songbook running.
This is however in such early stage, that it will take many weeks before i even ask fellow Ukers here to test/give opinions. :)

Last edited:
Thnx for the replies. After some searching and trying different apps I bought an app calles 'chord transposer'. There are multiple apps with this name, this one costed me 73 eurocents and is by a guy named Kurtis Chiappone. It does exactly what I want, I will post some screenshots later if anyone i interested.

I start getting the point now - you were looking for an app to transpose complete songs/chord progressions rather than individual chords. Some of the tab platforms on the web (like ultimate-guitar.com) offer transposition online for their chord sheets; depending on your mobile online connection that might be an option as well.

A more expensive but also more comprehensive app would be SongBook by Linkesoft.

Last edited:
I think this is what you're looking for. Try this one called Transposepad for $2 . . . Brief Descript: Great news all musicians! Quickly transpose the chords of your songs with both lyrics and chords on a page. Whether you are a beginner or a professional, this tool is a must have. Automatically transpose the chords of your songs in just 3 very simple steps. BTW, haven't used this. I usually use online apps such as Tab-Transposer or Logue Music Services.

Last edited:
Song Chord Finder is free.

It looks like a free Ultimate Guitar app. You get many, but not all the songs on Ultimate Guitar. For instance, you can search by song title or artist. So, a Beatles search may only bring up 20 songs but a search for Fixing a Hole may pull up 4 versions of that song then start looking for other songs by other artists.

Chord Finder has a transpose tool for songs found on the app, and scrolls at two speeds so you can play them. That feature works best on a tablet because of the added space on the screens. It also saves songs to your phone if you find something you like (but you will have to transpose it every time you use it).

I believe I found it at the Google Play Store.

Top Bottom