Is there a streaming ukulele channel?

hammer40

Reaction score
In this day and age of streaming radio channels and podcasting, I was wondering if there is a ukulele channel anywhere out there? There seems to be a channel for everything else these day's, so why not a uke based channel? Or at least a 4-string channel, if you need to expand the content.

You can catch an occasional uke on Folk alley but that's about all I have found.

I agree! I usually go to sleep watching youtube videos of ukuleles...but its getting annoying to have to get up and switch to a new video. I enjoy a couple channels where Ill watch a playlist. Like the ukulele orchestra or hisessions and just fall asleep listening to those playlists. But Im running out of new material. Wish there was some channel, even if it was just uke talk.

Oh that's nice.....thanks!!!

I tried Uke Farm on Live365 and had several problems. Firstly they require Adobe Flash, which I refuse to install since it is a giant attack surface for security exploits on your computer (30+ yrs in I.T.).

I've even tried using Google's Chrome browser (which has it's own Flash built-in) and that simply did not work.

Also when you first create an account on Live365 you are in a trial mode for their premium service, and you can download a .PLS file (a type of music playlist, used in LOTS of streaming audio web sites) that you can open in QuickTime or VLC, this works very well initially, but after your 5 day trial the playlist fails with a message about authentication. This problem happens both on the Mac desktop and on the iPad.

Searching their forums and FAQ, you have to subscribe to the pay service to have this feature after the trial period.

The deal-breaker for me was the fact that despite my settings on my Live365 account, I was getting about 3-4 messages per day from them about upgrading and 'features'. This is the definition of SPAM. Good thing I use a mail forwarder account (since deleted).

IMHO, Live365 is bad news. I dont mind the paid service upgrade, but the SPAM was out of control - at least 16 emails from them inside of a week when first signing up???? WTF. No thank you.

OTOH, if you go on iTunes or Miro (both free), and look under PodCasts, and search for 'ukulele' there are a handful that are out with reasonable frequency.

Aldrine had one called 'Ooktown', and there was one there called 'Ukulele Weekly' among others. In either software you can subscribe to the podcasts of your chosing and have them downloaded automatically when new episodes are released.

VLC also has podcasts and 'internet radio', but what I'd really love is a uke-specific music streaming channel for the Roku - to me, that would be just great...

Install Tunein Radio on your phone or tablet, or go to http://tunein.com/ on your PC. Aloha Joe has both Slack Key and Ukulele channels (Slack Key Island & Ukulele Island).

Here's another one -
http://www.alohafriends.com/radio.html
This is a link to 9 different online streaming Hawaiian radio stations. While it is not specifically ukulele, they do play a lot of ukulele.
I enjoy listening to the modern Hawaiian and Hawaiian reggae.

The Uke Farm worked for me perfectly, listening to it right now. It's a mix of everything, just heard a country uke song.

Install Tunein Radio on your phone or tablet, or go to http://tunein.com/ on your PC. Aloha Joe has both Slack Key and Ukulele channels (Slack Key Island & Ukulele Island).

Cool - thanks for the info! Going to check it out now. :)

[Update] I'm back - if I click on the '>' icon for Aloha Joe, it brings me to http://s3.voscast.com:8662/, and if you click on the "LISTEN" link it offers you a .PLS file, that you can open in your favorite media player app. I just tested it on Mac OSX in QuickTime and VLC and it works fine, but you get no info about the current song. I am going to check it out on Tunein Radio (which I already have installed on my iPad).

Not sure how this works on other computers, as I currently have lots of several ad/script/tracking blocker extensions installed in my FireFox setup - YMMV if your FireFox is vanilla.

[Update 2] The Tunein radio app on iPad works great and I'm listening to Aloha Joe's channel right now. :)

Last edited:
Here's another one -
http://www.alohafriends.com/radio.html
This is a link to 9 different online streaming Hawaiian radio stations. While it is not specifically ukulele, they do play a lot of ukulele.
I enjoy listening to the modern Hawaiian and Hawaiian reggae.

The Uke Farm worked for me perfectly, listening to it right now. It's a mix of everything, just heard a country uke song.

Wow!

There's a lot there to choose from. Thanks for the info! My lunch break is going to be a busy time filled with new music. YAY :)

Could one simply make several of their own youtube playlists? Sort of like when we used to record our own compilation cassette tapes in high school, labelled things like "workout music" or "music to neck by".

Top Bottom