WTB: Brazilian tenor

Couloirman

Reaction score
Open to different brands/customs but needs to be a tenor that fulfills the following criteria:

1) Brazilian rosewood back and sides
2) Spruce top (would also consider old growth redwood)
3) radiused Brazilian or ebony fretboard
4) slotted headstock
5) fretboard dots like a guitar (on 5, 7, 9, double dots on 12, 15, 17)

If such a uke exists and you want to sell hit me up!

Last edited:
haha...sounds like my uke being built by Beau Hannam. You should send him a pm

I think you may probably need to talk to a custom builder for such a specific request. John Kinnard recently made a wonderful brazilian tenor for another member here, you can see the instrument on his pix page at http://www.kinnardukes.com/

Here's a custom Hawaiian made Lymana Brazilian Rosewood/Englemann Spruce sunburst tenor with pics, descriptive, and video with bruddah Imua Garza playing the uke:

[video]http://ukulelefriend.com/ukes/custom-lymana-brazilian-rosewood-tenor-ukulele/[/video]

Here's a custom Hawaiian made Lymana Brazilian Rosewood/Englemann Spruce sunburst tenor with pics, descriptive, and video with bruddah Imua Garza playing the uke:

[video]http://ukulelefriend.com/ukes/custom-lymana-brazilian-rosewood-tenor-ukulele/[/video]

Yep..this one looks like what you looking for....straight tight grain B/R hard to beat....sounds good too.....

Open to different brands/customs but needs to be a tenor that fulfills the following criteria:

1) Brazilian rosewood back and sides
2) Spruce top (would also consider old growth redwood)
3) ebony fretboard
4) slotted headstock
5) fretboard dots like a guitar (on 5, 7, 9, double dots on 12, 15, 17)

If such a uke exists and you want to sell hit me up!

The Brazilian/Spuce shown on the KinnardUkes site is mine. In fact you can see it also in the Kinnard Family; its the one that Dennis Kim is holding. haha I am not interested in getting rid of my Kinnard Treasure but I am sure that John has another piece that fits your criteria...straight grained Brazilian. I can definitely vouch for the outstanding quality in build and sound...after all I have 3 in my possession. I will post my pictures soon. PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks guys! Will look Into these options. I figured i would have to go custom, but maybe someone already has one they are debating parting with. Never know unless you ask!

Why does it have to be Brazilian rosewood? It's protected now, and very difficult to find.

That's kinda why I was hoping for one already made. Appreciation value for the future is also a consideration since one day there will be no more ukes built from Brazilian and prices are sure to go up in the future.

Thanks guys! Will look Into these options. I figured i would have to go custom, but maybe someone already has one they are debating parting with. Never know unless you ask!

That's kinda why I was hoping for one already made. Appreciation value for the future is also a consideration since one day there will be no more ukes built from Brazilian and prices are sure to go up in the future.

in the future when you go from State to State...not to mention out of the country...you need the correct paperwork....so the uke might cost more now and in the future but there is a good chance of getting in trouble or maybe getting it taken from you by TSA,customs etc....

it is a beautiful tonewood,but you are taking a big chance.....IMO...:)

Last edited:
Personally, I don't believe in buying instruments as an investment I expect to appreciate in value. I buy them to play. :p

There are guitar collectors out there who don't even play, yet they spend big bucks on rare guitars to put them behind glass and "appreciate".

There's also the matter that restrictions on the wood make it iffy to take in/out of the country, where you're subject to having it confiscated by an overzealous airport inspector if you don't have "proof" with you that the Brazilian in your instrument is clear under CITES.

I agree with itsme. It's the wrong reason to buy a wonderful ukulele in my opinion.

There's collectors in most hobbies so no big deal. One good thing about collectors is they pass these lovely ukes to the next generation to admire.

There's collectors in most hobbies so no big deal. One good thing about collectors is they pass these lovely ukes to the next generation to admire.
That's an excellent point Daniel.

I'm not much of a collector to be honest. I just like nice ukes, play the heck out of them and enjoy them. But if one day it happens to be worth a lot so be it. Best guitar I ever played was this brazilian/spruce combo, so this would be its twin ;)

Why do you need guitar dots?

I play a lot of Jake songs where I use the upper register notes a lot and since I was a guitarist first and a uke player second it helps me remember what fret I'm on if it's marked just like a guitar either on the sides of the fretboard or on the face. I make less mistakes while playing if it's marked this way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom