Tuning a UKE to CFGC

plevi1

Reaction score
I am a guitar player and I am brand new to playing Ukelele. I would like to play the songs I have already written on the uke and the easiest way for me would be to tune the Ukelele to the top four strings I have on my guitar which are CFGC. I would love some advice from any knowledgable person - and also would you recommend that I buy a baritone Ukelele to handle this tuning... Thank you thank you!

I make no claims to great knowledge. The ukulele has ~ half the range of a guitar. A baritone would make sense if you are planning to use a linear CFGC tuning. If you wish to employ a reentrant tuning, cFGC you might consider a tenor. This would give you the flavor of ukulele reentrant tunings but allow you the option of changing out the high c for a low C linear tuning. All of this means you can start playing your songs immediately. One caveat is that you will be playing at a lower string tension than is optimum for the ukulele. You may find the frequency response your ear hears is unfavorable when compared to the guitar.

If you are are tuning to this "double C" tuning to accommodate your own vocal range you should consider more standard GCEA tuning whether linear or reentrant. I sing in C and sound better with the reentrant tuning (My first instrument being 5 string banjo). It is very easy to pick-up the ukulele in its standard tunings and C is a particularly easy key to learn on ukulele. Whatever your choice good luck and have fun.

Edit: This article may prove helpful: http://www.southcoastukes.com/tunings.htm

Last edited:
I am a guitar player and I am brand new to playing Ukelele. I would like to play the songs I have already written on the uke and the easiest way for me would be to tune the Ukelele to the top four strings I have on my guitar which are CFGC. I would love some advice from any knowledgable person - and also would you recommend that I buy a baritone Ukelele to handle this tuning... Thank you thank you!

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?102666-Alternate-tuning

Try asking Ken Middleton ...he has more tech knowledge and experience of different size ukes...I tend to just go between C, D and Eb cos I is mostly just a strummer.......sop/con..

Top Bottom