Tuning a UKE to CFGC

plevi1

Reaction score
I am a guitar player and I am brand new to playing Ukelele. I would like to play the songs I have already written on the uke and the easiest way for me would be to tune the Ukelele to the top four strings I have on my guitar which are CFGC. I would love some advice from any knowledgable person - and also would you recommend that I buy a baritone Ukelele to handle this tuning... Thank you thank you!

The cavaquinho, the Portuguese instrument some think the ukulele derives, has DGBD tuning. I've come across numerous songs that request different tuning.

The only thing that comes to mind is selecting appropriate strings for the tuning, so that the tone is as rich as can be. Lute strings come to mind but I'm sure someone else on here will bring forth better recommendations.

Using standard Baritone strings I tune my baritone to
DGBE Standard
DF#AD Open D (Vestapol) and
DGBD Open G (Spanish tuning)

Your tuning should work on a baritone. You would need a custom string set on a smaller uke

the cavaquinho, the portuguese instrument some think the ukulele derives, has dgbd tuning. I've come across numerous songs that request different tuning.

The only thing that comes to mind is selecting appropriate strings for the tuning, so that the tone is as rich as can be. Lute strings come to mind but i'm sure someone else on here will bring forth better recommendations.

thank you!

As I think many here might advise, head on over to the Southcoastukes.com web site. Dirk is very knowledgeable and has a great deal of information on various tunings for different size instruments. Good luck.

Top Bottom