New Hive uke coming soon - Gerald Ross

Gerald Ross

Reaction score
Getting excited about my new Hive Hornet uke - still in construction. It should be ready for my 2015 touring season. Here' some shots. Currently it's being shipped to California for it's high gloss finish, then back to luthier Jake Maclay to complete. I also got a custom Hoffee carbon fiber case for it. Why? I've noticed that I'm being put on smaller and smaller planes when I fly - limited overhead space. I know gate-checking is in my future.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Congratulations on an outstanding instrument. HMS had one just a short time ago and it was featured in their Ukulele Review site. It was truly one of the best sounding tenors I have ever heard. I also love your youtube channel and the songs you post up there are alway a great listen.

Wow, a classy looking beauty, and somehow, that case couldn't be more perfect for it. The perfect combo.

I saw the recent HMS video for the Hive and agree with Dave: it was pure enchantment.

And you just reminded me, Gerald, that it's time once again to pull up your Christmastime is Here aka Charlie Brown song PDF tabs and get to playing!

Last edited:
Here's a video of a Hive Hornet. This was sold at Hawaiiian Music Supply. Don't know who is playing.

Last edited:
That would be Corey playing. Amazing instrument, amazing player.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts when you get yours and to hearing more of your own excellent playing.

Hope someday Hive offers concert-sized instruments....

E

That's a nice-looking instrument, Mr. Ross, and one I expect you'll do justice to with your playing. The case is pretty much bulletproof, too, and like you, I think it is good insurance for a one-of-a-kind ukulele. A lot of feeder flights to smaller airports have little or no luggage space, unless you want to hold your uke out the widow when they are dusting crops on the way ...

I was pretty much decided on a Ko'olau... But then I saw Corey's video with the Hive, so now I'm back on the fence. I will be interested to see a video of yours before I decide.

I was pretty much decided on a Ko'olau... But then I saw Corey's video with the Hive, so now I'm back on the fence. I will be interested to see a video of yours before I decide.

Note, Wicked: Corey actually owns a KoOlau for himself, the one he bought off UUer bearbike137 6 weeks ago. lol

That is Corey Fujimoto playing the Hive Uke...built by Jake Maclay who I believe to be one of the best young builders going now.....he has an awesome future as a luthier....worked with Rick Turner for 7-8 years....

btw that uke sold in 1 or 2 days.....:)

sweet uke....I really like the case...but to me it's way too expensive just for one specific uke. :)

Gerald is a working pro, I suspect he spends a lot of time on the road and in the air, and that case would, for him, be considered a business expense, and relatively cheap insurance. I am aways intrigued by folks who are willing to drop thousands on a one-of-a-kind instrument, but who think a case that will protect it from whatever the airlines might do to it isn't worth the extra money. Really?

Gerald is a working pro, I suspect he spends a lot of time on the road and in the air, and that case would, for him, be considered a business expense, and relatively cheap insurance. I am aways intrigued by folks who are willing to drop thousands on a one-of-a-kind instrument, but who think a case that will protect it from whatever the airlines might do to it isn't worth the extra money. Really?

Yes really!!

Note, Wicked: Corey actually owns a KoOlau for himself, the one he bought off UUer bearbike137 6 weeks ago. lol

They both are obviously great instruments, and the "made in Hawaii" aspect of the Ko'olau is a draw - but I think that Jake Maclay deserves a bit more representation out there. Decisions, decisions...

Yes, I see this case as Insurance. I do have all my instruments professionally insured for replacement cost. But I really don't want to use the policy. BTW your homeowners policy will not cover your instruments if you make money with them. You need a pro level policy.

Top Bottom