Our latest acquisition

Nickie

Reaction score
This is our new baby. It's a hammered dulcimer. It was dirt cheap, and dirty, having lain in a luthier's shop for quite a while. It was used, and I can tell that it's out of tune. Going to order a tuning wrench, a table, and a Tuning A Hammered Dulcimer video!
Does anyone own one?
DSCN2242.jpg
DSCN2243.jpg

I've never owned one but it reminds me of a funny story.

In college, I was in a cabaret-type singing group. How cool is that? The coolness factor was off the charts! (Unfortunately, it was off the charts because it didn't even register. :D ) Anyway, at the end of our singing "season", we would have a party to celebrate. It was fairly well into the evening, the music was playing and everybody was drinking, dancing, feeling good and having a good time when one of our members decided it would be a good time to turn off the music so he could play the dulcimer and sing this old Celtic folk song. You could almost hear the screeching tires as the party momentum was brought to a total halt. It was really uncomfortable and awkward and I think we tolerated one song before the music came back on and the party resumed. I could see that the dulcimer player was kind of ticked off because the scenario probably didn't go as he had pictured in his mind. I'm guessing he pictured a more involved, appreciative audience. I just remember several of us looking at each other incredulous and asking, "What was that all about?"

We have four. It looks like you have a 12/11 course dulcimer. You should be able to find out how to tune it easily on the web, including YouTube. Here's a chart:
http://www.kitchenmusician.net/pages/hdtune.html
You don't need a table, you need a dulcimer stand. Our favorite stand is actually quite simple to build.

Looks like a very cool find. There are many dulcimer players in this neck of the woods. Many play mountain dulcimer, but hammered dulcimer is gaining strength. I hope you enjoy it!

Top Bottom