C tuning on a baritone uke not bad!

iamesperambient

Reaction score
so i sold all of my smaller ukes in need of quick cash and all i had left was my rogue baritone fitted with living water re-entrant G string set i love that sound but i missed playing a more 'standard' tuning so i ordered a set of hilo baritone strings for C tuning i put them on today, honestly the sound is not much different from that of a tenor uke, i quite like it, once i pick up a new smaller uke i will most likley go back to dGBE on my baritone but this will do the job for now !

I've been curious about the Hilo's. Are those nylon? I tried the Aquila C set and they were just awful.

I feel that a Low G sounds much more balanced to the other strings on a Baritone scale than on a Tenor.

I like your way of describing your reduction to a "rogue" baritone! It made me chuckle. hehe

Petey

Petey........I don't want to ruin your chuckle but "Rouge" is actually a manufacture's brand name that make baritone ukuleles. But I like what you saw into the statement, very witty.:)Just trying to help out a fellow Canadian........chuckle on, or hehe as you like to say.

Petey........I don't want to ruin your chuckle but "Rouge" is actually a manufacture's brand name that make baritone ukuleles. But I like what you saw into the statement, very witty.:)Just trying to help out a fellow Canadian........chuckle on, or hehe as you like to say.

honestly i have no idea what any of this means. Canadian im american? Not really sure what 'witt' is in me being left with one uke and a very cheap one (not that
i can afford expensive ukes ) not really sure what any of this has to do with C tuning on a baritone maybe im missing some kind of inside joke here.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/rogue-baritone-ukulele/519282

how were the aquilla's they have a wound string in them right?

No, they're all nylgut. I put them on a Silvertone bari and they were ridiculously harsh sounding. I gave the strings about 2 weeks to see if they would sound better once broken in but they never did. I think I'm going to try the Hilo's.

honestly i have no idea what any of this means. Canadian im american? Not really sure what 'witt' is in me being left with one uke and a very cheap one (not that
i can afford expensive ukes ) not really sure what any of this has to do with C tuning on a baritone maybe im missing some kind of inside joke here.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/rogue-baritone-ukulele/519282

Rogue-A tramp or vagabond. The joke is that one of your ukes broke away and went on it's own i.e. rogue. No one was making fun of you having to sell of your gear. That's never funny to any true musician.

I've been playing around with open tunings on the baritone. Dm DFAD. D DF#AD. G DGBD. Fun stuff

Wow! This has become a cascading comedy of errors! Shakespeare would be proud! hehe

@iamesperambient : No worries, but I think your lack of a capital "R" on "r"ogue baritone in your initial post caused confusion for those who have never hear of that brand before... mainly me. But, it sounded funny... in an equivalent metaphor: "I stopped talking to my entire family of soprano singers, but I only communicate now with a rogue baritone cousin." That fact you mentioned about having to clear out your entire smaller uke stock to have a rogue baritone left... and you didn't mention a brand name on your sopranos...

Anyways, it's all fun!

Petey

I've been playing around with open tunings on the baritone. Dm DFAD. D DF#AD. G DGBD. Fun stuff

You should try a cuatro tuning. It's a low re-entrant tuning ADF#B. When I feel like I'm in a rut I play my cuatro tuned bari and it helps break me out of any stagnation I may be feeling.

Yes you were missing some kind of inside joke, as Captain and Petey have explained. I am glad you like the Hilo strings on your baritone as I have been curiois about that tuning approach with a baritone.

You might want to try the LL-NW set from Southcoast, I really like them on my bari. no wound and very balanced.

No, they're all nylgut. I put them on a Silvertone bari and they were ridiculously harsh sounding. I gave the strings about 2 weeks to see if they would sound better once broken in but they never did. I think I'm going to try the Hilo's.
I have Hilos on my Silvertone bari and I think they sound great...very warm and nicely balanced. I think Hilos are a really under-appreciated brand.

the hilos are classic black nylon uke strings you think of when you think of baritone uke
im actually once i get a smaller uke and go back to DGBE i may try their linear baritone set next.

Wow! This has become a cascading comedy of errors! Shakespeare would be proud! hehe

@iamesperambient : No worries, but I think your lack of a capital "R" on "r"ogue baritone in your initial post caused confusion for those who have never hear of that brand before... mainly me. But, it sounded funny... in an equivalent metaphor: "I stopped talking to my entire family of soprano singers, but I only communicate now with a rogue baritone cousin." That fact you mentioned about having to clear out your entire smaller uke stock to have a rogue baritone left... and you didn't mention a brand name on your sopranos...

Anyways, it's all fun!

Petey

i actually got rid of a konablaster electric baritone, a snail tenor, kala concert, lanikai concert.
not a big soprano fan i prefer concert/tenor and baritone. I never thought much into the word rogue
ive known about this brand for over a decade now so it doesn't ring any odd bells to me. and the only other
thing i thik of when i hear rogue is the girl in the x-men and even that doesn't really set off any off vibes.

Top Bottom