Concert sized Huon Pine and Australian red cedar uke

Graham McDonald

Reaction score
Her's the latest Concert sized. Body is Huon pine from Tasmania, the neck is Australian Red cedar, over 100 years old laminated from two pieces cut from an old skirting board with a 1/4" CF square tube for a little insurance. Fretboard, head overlay and bridge from Ring gidgee, rope binding from Rock maple and Peruvian walnut. Pegheadz tuners and Aquila Red strings. Oil finish.

Cheers

C7_1.jpg C7_2.jpg C7_3.jpg C7_4.jpg

Lovely! I love the tiny bridge - I always strive for small ones myself. The rope binding looks great. Would you mind describing how you did it? Did you glue the pieces to the backing strip before installation or did you place them one by one? Rope binding is on my bucket list.

Sven

I too like the look of this uke with its matching rosette and binding. I would be interested to hear/see how you produced the binding, assuming that its your own work!

The rope binding isn't hard to make, but it is time consuming. I found a couple descriptions on how to do it via Google, which I now can't find again. One of them was on this forum I think, Another on the Han'a Lima forum. It is mostly a matter of slicing, sanding and gluing, then more slicing, sanding and gluing etc, etc. The rosettes are a bit tricky as it is hard to bend such a tight radius without the strips breaking into short segments. I have found they have to be assembled from smaller bits with a bit of trimming, but it is almost un-noticeable once done.

The general response was that it is really uneconomical to make your own if you are serious about making a dollar (or a kroner) out of building ukeuleles or anything else using rope binding and that the sensible thing is to get Michael Gurian to make up a batch. I am planning to make another lot soon and will order some big sheets of white and black fiber from LMI as backings before I start. I will document the process as much as I can and post that here and maybe on my website as well.

Cheers

Simply elegant, Graham.
Michael Gurian is looking to retire. His last orders from H&D took almost 6 months to arrive. He's almost always been back ordered, but its worse now. I hope he finds someone to take over his business.

Being made out of huon pine - this uke must smell wonderful... I probably couldn't keep my nose out of the sound-hole!
Love your work Graham - still got an Irish bazouki of yours.

Top Bottom