Uke places in Paris, France?

Rustman

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm going to visit Paris from 28th Dec to 2nd Jan. Do you know any music shops or clubs worth visiting, ukulelewise?

Cheers!

Rust, the gentleman on the right (as you look at it) of this video--the one with the mutton chops--is Philippe Krouk, and he not only lives in France, he is French. Oh, and he plays a ukulele and knows all the festivals, and organizes them. He knows the smoky haunts where one can strum and play with the best of them. And, if you are good, he can sell you his minty Martin 3k. PM him on UU under Krouk. Here's a link to his Martin for sale; you can use it to contact him.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?101483-Vintage-3K-Martin&highlight=krouk

The other gentleman is Jano and, although I have never seen him on UU, I would like to have drinks with him and stroke shared fretboards. Perhaps you will beat me to it, oh, Rustman.

Last edited:
There was a similar question here, not so long ago: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?101462-Ukulele-shops-in-Paris&highlight=paris.

The Charles shop near the Louvre is worth checking out, as are the general music instrument shops near Place Pigalle, and the Dupont shop near the Gare de Lyon could have Django-style ukuleles in stock for trying. I'm not sure about holiday closures though...

There are two meeting circuits, on every second Thursday evening of the month called Cabaret du Uke by the above mentioned Phillipe Krouk (alas not held during your stay) and another near the Père Lachaise cemetery every single Wednesday evening, called Rendez'uke.

These replies are just the kind of replies I was waiting for!
Great!
I'm planning to take my cheapo Makala soprano with me. Usually I would take my proper case and tenor with pickup, but who knows if I find something interesting to buy there, I can ditch the Makala to make space if I need some. Our hotel is only few hundred meters from Pigalle and there are metro stations everywhere. The Louvre is definitely one place to visit, one could easily spend weeks there.

Rust, the gentleman on the right (as you look at it) of this video--the one with the mutton chops--is Philippe Krouk, and he not only lives in France, he is French. Oh, and he plays a ukulele and knows all the festivals, and organizes them. He knows the smoky haunts where one can strum and play with the best of them. And, if you are good, he can sell you his minty Martin 3k. PM him on UU under Krouk. Here's a link to his Martin for sale; you can use it to contact him.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?101483-Vintage-3K-Martin&highlight=krouk

The other gentleman is Jano and, although I have never seen him on UU, I would like to have drinks with him and stroke shared fretboards. Perhaps you will beat me to it, oh, Rustman.

I've met both gentlemen and had a nice chat during Burning Uke in Ghent, Belgium this summer. Nice guys and they play tremendously well. And guess what; I'm going to Paris on January 2nd... Francois Charle is really cool. Enjoy your stay and we'll take over the ukulele baton on the 2nd. ;)

I've met both gentlemen and had a nice chat during Burning Uke in Ghent, Belgium this summer. Nice guys and they play tremendously well. And guess what; I'm going to Paris on January 2nd... Francois Charle is really cool. Enjoy your stay and we'll take over the ukulele baton on the 2nd. ;)

Do post videos from gay Paris, We. Do please.

When you're at the Charle shop (no s at the end, my mistake above), do cross the street to the Jardin des Tuileries and specifically the Orangerie Museum, famous for Monet's waterlilies.

They have a roomful of paintings by Marie Laurencin, made in a fauvist-cubist style, depicting the avant-garde music and ballet scene in 1920s-1930s Paris, and an amazing amount of ukulele-playing ladies.

Here are some samples, by the late Cyril Lefebvre: http://www.ukulele.fr/2010/10/31/marie-laurencin-et-les-joueuses-dukulele/

And let's play 'spot the uke'!

ora_4_03-008238.jpg

Top Bottom