Upgrade questions

Debby

Reaction score
I'm hoping to upgrade as soon as I can financially afford to. I have been learning on a Makala Shark. I play daily and have really improved quickly. I would like to get a solid wood uke but I'm worried about the maintenance. It would be a nightmare to spend the money and then it split. I live in Indiana and I'm not sure if this is even worth the worry.

I'm also worried about dropping it. I gotta admit that I'm not very graceful. My shark has fallen before.

So for these reasons, a laminate uke appeals to me. I have a laminate model and a solid model in mind. But I know I would like the solid one better but I think I will go crazy worrying about keeping it perfect.

Any input regarding this will be appreciated. It's going to be a bit before I save enough but am hoping to keep it under $300. I know that's not a whole lot to work with, but it is what it is.

One to consider that will be difficult to damage is the Flea Ukulele. They can be used as baseball bats and they come in at a price much lower than your given price. Oh, and they also sound great. This is a nice step upward.

Well, $300 will get you a decent uke, don't worry about that. Also, picking a new uke is supposed to be fun, so make sure to enjoy the process. :)

It would be helpful to know which ukulele sizes you consider.

I'd also suggest searching for previous threads about buying tips, there are many. (I'm not saying that new threads about that subject are a bad idea, actually I find those suggestion threads really fun!)

Which models do you have in mind?

p.s. check out this thread, you might win a free uke: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...mpetition-to-celebrate!&highlight=gotaukulele

Edit: You might also want to keep an eye on the marketplace subforum. Sometimes you can find great value there!

But I know I would like the solid one better but I think I will go crazy worrying about keeping it perfect.

I understand your pain. It is for that reason that I prefer a satin finish. There is no need to worry about causing a minute mark in the gloss coat.

A salesman once told me that it's OK though, you stop worrying after the first ding. Maybe?:confused:

Rappsy, I do like the flea and flukes...esp the ones that have a hardwood fretboard. I know this is a minor detail but I love how they stand on their own. I could just stand it on my coffee table next to my recliner and not have to worry about it falling over.

Last edited:
Well, $300 will get you a decent uke, don't worry about that. Also, picking a new uke is supposed to be fun, so make sure to enjoy the process. :)

It would be helpful to know which ukulele sizes you consider.

I'd also suggest searching for previous threads about buying tips, there are many. (I'm not saying that new threads about that subject are a bad idea, actually I find those suggestion threads really fun!)

Which models do you have in mind?

p.s. check out this thread, you might win a free uke: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...mpetition-to-celebrate!&highlight=gotaukulele

Edit: You might also want to keep an eye on the marketplace subforum. Sometimes you can find great value there!

Well, $300 is the budget I'm hoping for. It might not be that much. I'm taking my time. I'm in no hurry. I would like to have a new uke to play on by Spring. But no hurries.

I'm hoping to get a concert size, since I already have a soprano. The brand I'm super interested in is Mainland. The other is Luna. I'm also considering a flea.

And about the suggestion threads, I find them fun to read, too. And I have learned a lot reading these pages.

I'll check that contest out! I have peaked at the marketplace here but it's going to be a while so it might be a waste of time to look there yet.

Hey, let us know what you come up with, Fleas are very popular, and are sound cannons. We had one for a while, but we couldn't hold onto it very well. I've never seen a Fluke, but I hear they are very similiar. None of my ukes cost over $300, and one is solid mahogany....it did split in the top once, but was repaired. I live in florida, so I don't think moisture was a factor.
Happy Hunting!

Yeah I should go with a satin finish, even though I think glossy is prettier.

And I disagree with that sales person. I had something minor happen to an expensive guitar and my blood boils every time I see it. But I think it's because it was a gift from my dad (who is no longer with us), not so much that it was expensive. I just need to learn to enjoy my instruments and art equipment and not worry so much about keeping them perfect.

Hey, let us know what you come up with, Fleas are very popular, and are sound cannons. We had one for a while, but we couldn't hold onto it very well.

Did yours have grip strips? I seen that they offer grip strips and wondered if they worked well.

Sorry, this isn't about a concert, but do consider the laminate Martin soprano. I also was looking for a good uke that played well, but would be no worries. I have two solid wood and one solid top/laminate sides. But, when cold weather came in, I did not want to have to baby them again like I did during the summer.

I had originally meant to go with the Outdoor Uke combo, but that did not materialize. Then l thought about the Bugs Gear plastic, but it didn't seem much different than my First Act ukes.

Was about to get a Flea or a Fluke for a stable uke. Then I found a good deal on a Martin Oxk during Black Friday with a 15% off coupon. That got it to about $240 with free shipping. It was also about the only brand that consistently was mentioned that it was OK without a set up. I bought it Black Friday from Musician's Friend and received it the following Tuesday four days later.

I am so glad I went with it. I am camping with my granddaughter. I sat outside today in 40 degree weather and played it, then stowed it back in the travel trailer, which will fluctuate in temperature as the sun goes down and then gets warmed back up for sleeping in it tonight. I play it for about an hour before turning in for bed. Been doing this for the last four days. No worries with the Oxk and it sounds great.

It is slippery, but I am traveling past a Martin Repair Center tomorrow, and will see if they can put strap buttons on the HPL lower bout and on the neck. If not, I can continue with the Mobius strap.

Last edited:
Sorry, this isn't about a concert, but do consider the laminate Martin soprano. I also was looking for a good uke that played well, but would be no worries. I have two solid wood and one solid top/laminate sides. But, when cold weather came in, I did not want to have to baby them again like I did during the summer.

I had originally meant to go with the Outdoor Uke combo, but that did not materialize. Then l thought about the Bugs Gear plastic, but it didn't seem much different than my First Act ukes.

Was about to get a Flea or a Fluke for a stable uke. Then I found a good deal on a Martin Oxk during Black Friday with a 15% off coupon. That got it to about $240 with free shipping. It was also about the only brand that consistently was mentioned that it was OK without a set up. I bought it Black Friday from Musician's Friend and received it the following Tuesday four days later.

I am so glad I went with it. I am camping with my granddaughter. I sat outside today in 40 degree weather and played it, then stowed it back in the travel trailer, which will fluctuate in temperature as the sun goes down and then gets warmed back up for sleeping in it tonight. I play it for about an hour before turning in for bed. Been doing this for the last four days. No worries with the Oxk and it sounds great.

It is slippery, but I am traveling past a Martin Repair Center tomorrow, and will see if they can put strap buttons on the HPL lower bout and on the neck. If not, I can continue with the Mobius strap.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might see if there is a Martin concert sized I can afford. I would like to be able to take mine outdoors and back in with no issues. Maybe I'm just being too nervous about it.

My Flea stays exactly where I put her. Took a while to sort it out, but here's what works for me:

I bought my first uke in September. It is a high end Martin, solid Mahogany, Tenor, satin finish*. It is well used and played. It has some battle scars but that is just too damn bad. Museum pieces aren't kept to tension or played at weddings festivals and campfires.

I bought my second uke six weeks later It is a Lanakai 25CK - Koa laminate satin finish*. I almost bought the Luna equivalent at that time. The Luna had slightly better intonation up the neck. Both were in your budget range and my ears liked both equally well. The Lanakai looks prettier than the Martin Tenor.

Santa Claus delivered a Mainland red cedar soprano last week. Technically I don't have it yet but... It sounds good. My ears like it -it was sent unheard, a point of concern. It has a high gloss finish*. Its Concert sized cousins are at the same price point as the Luna and Lanakai Concerts. Clearly this is the right price point for my ears at this time. If you go the Mainland red cedar route get the sealed gold tuners with amber buttons - very nice aesthetics.

I have played a Fluke. It left me cold. My other ukes give me a warm fuzzy feeling. This is doubtless an unfair evaluation but there you have it.

Like yourself I am a newbie who plays every day. I have been astounded and gratified with my progress. Playing the uke has improved my singing in a way the banjo never has. Upgrading to the level of your competance makes sense to me. A budget makes sense to me. Cost is irrelevant to me but price/value is important and my ears agreed with a price point that makes sense. I think your $300 budget is sensible as is your approach to it. The laminate construction probably is a good idea considering where you live. I wouldn't make it a determinant though.

Don't worry about the scratches and stuff. There will be new and better upgrades in the future then is the time to maybe worry about that. If you get a crack get it fixed properly. If a proper strap eases your concerns invest in one. Good Hunting!

* My body chemistry secrete oils or something that breaks down satin finishes to leave a gloss finish underneath. Wiping down the instrument after playing doesn't seem to do anything. The high gloss finish seems immune to this so far. For what ever this is worth.

I have a Mainland Mahogany tenor, and it is an amazing instrument. I also have a Fluke concert and it, too, is an amazing instrument. Both of them have great sound. The Fluke IS a bit challenging to hold, but I've been enjoying its concert size quite a bit. You can't go wrong with either brand. (And as UkeCan1 shows, there are ways to make the Fluke easier to hold.)

I'm hoping to upgrade as soon as I can financially afford to. I have been learning on a Makala Shark. I play daily and have really improved quickly. I would like to get a solid wood uke but I'm worried about the maintenance. It would be a nightmare to spend the money and then it split. I live in Indiana and I'm not sure if this is even worth the worry.

A few things... 1) I too am in Indiana and have been using CoolKayaker1's "uke condo" method for storing my solid wood ukes and have found that it works great! http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?57739-Tip-On-Inexpensive-amp-Extremely-Effective-(too-effective-)-Humidor! (I had to use a smaller kitchen sponge vs the large car wash sponge to keep the humidity below 70%)

2) Where in Indiana do you live? You mentioned you were looking at Mainland. They are located in Nashville, IN, so it may not be too far a drive for you to check them out in person.

3) You already have one of the best starter ukes that can easily switch to your travel uke... the Shark! I got one of these for my 6 yr old daughter for Christmas this year. They are wonderful sounding and can take a beating. So, now treat yourself to a solid wood ukulele and enjoy it!

I'm also worried about dropping it. I gotta admit thatI'm not very graceful. My shark has fallen before.

So for these reasons, a laminate uke appeals to me. I have a laminate model and a solid model in mind. But I know I would like the solid one better but I think I will go crazy worrying about keeping it perfect.

Any input regarding this will be appreciated. It's going to be a bit before I save enough but am hoping to keep it under $300. I know that's not a whole lot to work with, but it is what it is.

Well, all of the comments about the Flea are spot on. I've got one that stands on an end table - at the ready, all the time. It's also the throw-in-the-car go-anywhere uke. There's also probably a self-defense video somewhere showing how to use the Flea as a war-club. Ironically, it sounds pretty good, too.

The only drawback is if you get the plastic fretboard - using wound strings are not advised as plastic and metal don't get along well. If you only use unwound strings, no hay problema.

They range on the used market in the $100-150 range, so the Flea is within your budget, with enough left over for a "Flea Bag" gig bag, extra strings, tuner, and even dinner.

Wendy, nice little video. I've never used a strap so far, but I have considered it. I find if I hold it high enough, I don't have an issue gripping it to myself...other than the occasional stab from a string tip that wasn't tucked properly.
But a strap would give me added security that I won't drop a new uke.

Also, on a side note... I see you have a little rubber tree. I have one as well and it's one of my faves.

IamNoMan, thanks for the feedback. I agree that the gold tuners with Amber look the best.

Top Bottom