Simple uke construction idea

rudy

Reaction score
I just finished up doing a "just for fun" 3 string guitar that turned out to be a hugely fun instrument. It uses a construction process that features 3mm Baltic birch ply and no bracing, and the basic methodology would convert to a great inexpensive uke design; particularly if you wanted to do a longer scale length 4 string reentrant tuning design. Here's a link to my webpage with a couple of quick demo videos as food for thought:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageGuitarThreeString.html

Guitar3String19.jpg

Last edited:
Looks and sounds great Rudy!

Man, you have built a lot of different instruments. Very cool.

That is a really cool, nice looking and sounding instrument. Makes me want to build one!

Thanks, all. Once in a while you get the urge to just do something simple, but this one really takes on a life of it's own. The 3 string thing can seem simple, but ends up giving you a huge bang for your musical buck. The Cigar Box guitar folks caught on to this quite a while ago.

that is awesome! Great job. Could also be adapted to a diatonic guitar for all the dulcimer players out there.

Randy, I took a different tack when I decided to make similar guitars after seeing the Kramer Ferrington model. I traced a Strat pattern on a 2" thick plank and hollowed it out with a large Forstner bit, then cleaned it up using a plywood pattern of the sides and a router with a really long base. This made a LOT of chips & dust. Then an X braced top was glued on, the pocket routed for the neck, and a 6-string neck made up and bolted on. I called them stage guitars. They were plenty loud enough for practice or informal jamming, and once plugged in they were ready for the stage. No side bending, no mold, no kerfing. I wrote a how-to about them for American Lutherie. I forget which issue. I made a few as baritone ukes for a couple friends/customers, but never thought to try playing them. I wasn't into ukes then. After seeing your version I want to make myself a three-stringer to play in the truck during lunch breaks at H&D. Your playing is inspirational.

Randy, I took a different tack when I decided to make similar guitars after seeing the Kramer Ferrington model. I traced a Strat pattern on a 2" thick plank and hollowed it out with a large Forstner bit, then cleaned it up using a plywood pattern of the sides and a router with a really long base. This made a LOT of chips & dust. Then an X braced top was glued on, the pocket routed for the neck, and a 6-string neck made up and bolted on. I called them stage guitars. They were plenty loud enough for practice or informal jamming, and once plugged in they were ready for the stage. No side bending, no mold, no kerfing. I wrote a how-to about them for American Lutherie. I forget which issue. I made a few as baritone ukes for a couple friends/customers, but never thought to try playing them. I wasn't into ukes then. After seeing your version I want to make myself a three-stringer to play in the truck during lunch breaks at H&D. Your playing is inspirational.

Thanks, John. That's so nice of you to say. I've got quite a few tunes I want to throw down in that quick demo form as I get around to it.

Your description of the alternative construction process sounds like an interesting technique for sure.

We luthier-types are always on the lookout for shortcuts or ways to build a better mousetrap. Part of the 3 string project permutated into a way of easing new folks into the joys of making instruments. It's always best to walk before running and the construction of the 3 string guitar is meant to serve as a gateway drug for folks that are pretty new to instrument building. It's tough to spend a bunch of money on expensive woods, and the 3mm Baltic birch sells for $20 for a 60" by 60" piece. You can afford to make a few mistakes at that price!

Most definitely make one of these; they are shockingly fun! Post any questions here and I'll try to answer them. The photos on the web page are meant to give a quick overview of the process, though. I'm sure that would be a piece o' cake for you.

What a great little instrument!!! I like the pocketed bolt on neck. setting perfect neck angle is dead on simple as is any future need to reset neck. I am going to use this on my next uke build, a belle baritone. I like the idea of a heel less neck, a little unconventional in looks, but perhaps better access to the upper frets. I also like the pin-less bridge string attachment through the top method and am going to use that on my next build. Thanks for putting all that together. I have used a lot of the ideas in instrument construction, very helpful. Am considering making the wooden top banjo for my daughter, as a 4 string tenor.

Top Bottom