UAS VS modifying present uke(s)

Nickie

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever modified an old uke, instead of embarking on the (never ending, it seems) search for the Holy Grail (symptom of UAS)?
Not talking about just changing string or action, or painting....I refer to my Kala which I added a fake sound-hole deco to and had the neck shaved....maybe you could give us pics....

Once I added a huge sound port and removed all braces from my Lanikai Tenor just for experiment.
Removing braces didn't make significant differences but the sound port does.

Last edited:
I've added old growth redwood top to a Regal and yes a Kamaka. along with a new bridge and saddle. They had damaged tops and were destined for the scrap heap in other circumstances. Both conversions were successful. It didn't cure UAS in fact it probably increased the scope of it. I then started looking at a broad spectrum of "project ukes". Time and space has, for the moment curbed the buying and I intend to thin the herd some more. The Kamaka was passed on to a friend and the Regal is in my playing rotation. The Regal was so bright that I strung it with Kala Red strings that gave it more mellow tone.

Ukes are fun. If modifying them makes a body happy, I say go for it. I have several projects in stages of "good intentions." Hasn't helped my UAS. As Sponge said, just gives me something different to shop for.

Ukes are fun. If modifying them makes a body happy, I say go for it. I have several projects in stages of "good intentions." Hasn't helped my UAS. As Sponge said, just gives me something different to shop for.

On of the dangers in being retired is having the unstressed opportunity to play "Dr. Frankenstein" with selections from the instrument stable. Have messed around with mandolins a lot more, but installing pickups/preamps and such top the mod list.

I enjoy buying, not necessarily to find the "be all" uke, it's just fun. I've added strap buttons to every one of my ukes, and pickups with preamps to most, also a tailpiece to my mandolele. I've also drilled through the bridge of my Lanikai to do string through tie-off. I even converted a short electric guitar to a bass recently. I'm the kind that has no reservations tinkering and modifying as needed.

I occasionally modify, repair and make instruments. I haven't done this to any ukes yet but have a no-name baritone and a vintage banjo-uke that need fixed. (I found them in my junk closet) :p Scope of the work for these projects is Regluing and setting a bridge/saddle, Tuner upgrades, nut replacement and fretwire finishing. I will probably install some strap buttons on the baritone. A future project will be to repair the three cracks in the Baritone, one at a time to see what the aggregate effect is.

The biggest drawback to uke repair/restoration/upgrading is tools. You need to buy them or make them. You need tools to make your own tools. At this point you go from UAS to TAS which can be more expensive that UAS.

Nickie, if you want to explore modifications to ukes get a cheap wooden uke and try to improve its characteristics. Don't consider it UAS but an experiment. When you finish the project you can give it away. Or you might present it to Pam or the girls to get them involved with Ukulele.

I would be interested if someone can post a video on how to make a sound port

Top Bottom