my uke is whistleing

Franco

Reaction score
i've had my uke for about a week (kala ka-t) and all the sudden the c string is whistleing when its played open. when strumming it gets really loud. does anybody have any idea why this is happening. :(

its maybe the strings are starting to settle ...I would actually get it set up if it hasn't been setup already it totally changes ten fold!

what i mean by whistleing is when i strum my uke it almost sounds like theres an echo that is really high pitched. the harder i strum the strings the louder it gets. its not buzzing. i can tell when it buzzes.

i've had my uke for about a week (kala ka-t) and all the sudden the c string is whistleing when its played open. when strumming it gets really loud. does anybody have any idea why this is happening. :(

I've heard aquilias "squeek" before. Sometimes at the beach when my hands have oil on them they squeek more. I have another member of our club notice it too. Could sound like a whistle I guess.

i had this on my bushman.. well.. it was sort of like this.. one of the nuts on my tuners was loose... i kept looking all over for frett buzz.. and then my guitar guy figured it out.. it happened again.. i fixed it.. make sure all your hardware is tight..

Could it be that one string between the nut and the tuner by chance is tuned to a harmonic to c? Then it would start swinging when you play the open c string. Try putting a piece of cloth between the strings and the headstock.
If that cures it, I would put a small piece of foam under the strings to keep them from swinging.

Andreas

these are all great suggestions. what im picking up is its either a hardware problem regarding the nut. which would require it to be "setup?" what excatly does everyone mean by that? or the strings just need to stretch out and or settle in.

thanks for everyones help. hopefully someday i can be a help to someone too.

Could it be that one string between the nut and the tuner by chance is tuned to a harmonic to c? Then it would start swinging when you play the open c string. Try putting a piece of cloth between the strings and the headstock.
If that cures it, I would put a small piece of foam under the strings to keep them from swinging.

Andreas
I am liking this answer. I had this problem with my gibson guitar. the strings would vibrate sympathetically between the nut and the tuners. I wove a bit of cloth back and forth between the strings on the tuner side of the nut, problem solved.

Set up refers to having someone go over the instrument and check that the frets are level, that the nut is properly notched, that the bridge/saddle is set up properly, that all the hardware is tight and properly fitted, etc. Kinda like a tune up on your car.

ok thanks yopp. im gonna try that out. would you still recommend i get it "setup" and could i get that done at a guitar center like place?

haha

this is happening to my Kala Ka-T as well. Not the open string, but my 12th fret C-string has had this awfull buzz (you can barely even here a tone in it) for about a week. I posted a thread about it but I didn't get any answers.
I'm getting new strings put on relatively soon since I got it in early August 2008.

Mando players get that all the time. It's usually the string lengths between tuners and nut as already mentioned. Mandolins also have problems with the string after-lengths between bridge and tailpiece.

On a very few instruments it is not vibration from those superfluous string sections, but actually just a very strong harmonic overtone from the main string lengths, sometimes on an adjacent string.

Top Bottom