PDA

View Full Version : What does the ukulele mean to you?

Hippie Dribble
12-17-2014, 01:43 AM
THE question that needs to be answered!!! What does the ukulele mean to you?

Please post your responses below (and a youtube clip of your answer if you feel so inclined). Spread the love. We are making a short film about what the uke means to folks around the globe incorporating live interviews and the written word. Blessings, friends. Here is the first one, unedited. I was the willing guinea pig. x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RzeHRyBTBs&feature=youtu.be

DownUpDave
12-17-2014, 02:37 AM
Quite simply the uke means making music to me. Do you sing because you are happy or are you happy because you sing. Just substitute the words "play uke" for sing and that is what the ukulele does for me. It is the ultimate mood changer and healthy healer

Thanks John

VegasGeorge
12-17-2014, 02:44 AM
The Ukulele has always had meaning for me as a symbol of my wife's love. Not only love, but her desire to be thoughtful and caring toward me. She is not musical at all. But I am, and I was totally surprised and delighted when she brought me my first Ukulele as a gift on her return from an Hawaii trip. Not only was it something special just for me, but she made an effort to get me the best, and brought home a Kamaka. I think it will always remain the best gift I ever received.

UkerDanno
12-17-2014, 02:56 AM
ukulele: a small acoustic instrument with 4 strings, tuned GCEA reentrant tuning.

Hippie Dribble
12-17-2014, 03:05 AM
ukulele: a small acoustic instrument with 4 strings, tuned GCEA reentrant tuning.

Thanks Danno. You just wrote the opening credits brother!!! But we shall attempt to dig deeper nonetheless... :p And thankyou George and Dave. Beautiful responses. :)

bonesoup
12-17-2014, 03:17 AM
The Ukulele has always had meaning for me as a symbol of my wife's love. Not only love, but her desire to be thoughtful and caring toward me. She is not musical at all. But I am, and I was totally surprised and delighted when she brought me my first Ukulele as a gift on her return from an Hawaii trip. Not only was it something special just for me, but she made an effort to get me the best, and brought home a Kamaka. I think it will always remain the best gift I ever received.

Such a touching answer. Wish it was mine! But i was playing uke before i had my family.

This is a thoughtful question. For me it means a lot. It speaks in a way the acoustic guitar, my first instrument, doesnt. Somehow its voice seems to carry my brain away from wherever it is and whatever it is doing. Playing the uke brings some unique mix of tuned down joy with amped up contentment.

SteveZ
12-17-2014, 03:18 AM
Quite simply the uke means making music to me. Do you sing because you are happy or are you happy because you sing. Just substitute the words "play uke" for sing and that is what the ukulele does for me. It is the ultimate mood changer and healthy healer

Thanks John

I agree. Add to that, it's the handiest and most versatile of all stringed instruments.

Hippie Dribble
12-17-2014, 03:20 AM
tuned down joy with amped up contentment.

GOLD. :love: Thanks bonesoup.

Cornfield
12-17-2014, 03:40 AM
From Wikipedia:
"According to Queen Liliʻuokalani, the last Hawaiian monarch, the name means “the gift that came here,” from the Hawaiian words uku (gift or reward) and lele (to come)."

philpot
12-17-2014, 04:32 AM
This is such a beautiful question. All of the responses so far are great. To me, ukulele gives me the chance to be myself. I have a full range of expression on these four little strings. I can laugh, I can cry, and I can love through the music. The ukulele really is soothing to the soul. I can say without exaggeration that the ability to make music with my happy little uke has gotten me through bouts of depression, separation anxiety, stress, you name it.

In addition, the ukulele carries with it some wonderful memories. I'll never forget the time I spent with friends that was highlighted by jam sessions, or the times I performed on stage, or the times I played songs for my girlfriend to express things I couldn't really say, or the time my wonderful late grandmother helped me purchase my beautiful Kamaka. My life for the past four years has constantly involved the ukulele in some way, and I truly think I'm better for it.

puppa Zukulele
12-17-2014, 05:15 AM
Havent even got my first ukulele yet, an fer me it already means a golden, unpretentious key ta the world of music (almost illiterate here), and hopefully a companion and help and focus fer my PTSD'd crippled decline into old age. :old:

kudos fer the thred!

NewKid
12-17-2014, 05:16 AM
One of the things the ukulele means to me is connections with people. I played guitar alone in my room for 25 years. I play ukulele with friends, for my family, for charity events, and for myself as well. It's been an emotionally healthier instrument for me.

CeeJay
12-17-2014, 05:35 AM

and also ADF#B ...BbEbGC....just two other once very popular tunings. They plinky ...

PereBourik
12-17-2014, 05:43 AM
My ukulele is a pathway from sadness to joy. It never accuses, never judges. My ukulele encourages me to grow, both in skill and in wholeness and has set my voice free.

philpot
12-17-2014, 05:45 AM
My ukulele is a pathway from sadness to joy. It never accuses, never judges. My ukulele encourages me to grow, both in skill and in wholeness and has set my voice free.
Beautiful :D

greenie44
12-17-2014, 06:22 AM
When I first fell for the uke, it was a door. A door into the all the music I have loved so much for so many years.

Now it's more of a road - a road that keeps opening up to more and more immersion with that music. I don't see any end in sight, and that is pretty dang exciting.

caukulele
12-17-2014, 07:01 AM
Wonderful thread Jon.
I am an artist, for me music and art have always been a way to communicate, to try and express myself. My life has had many changes over the years, but music and art have always been constant, like breathing. Music and art are an expression of life and love for me. A few years ago, I developed a rather serious back problem, and eventually, it was no longer possible to play the guitar, (which had been my musical instrument since I was a child)…Thankfully, I discovered the ukulele and fell completely in love with it! Even with my bad back I can still play the ukulele, and it has been an incredible gift for me. So, the ukulele gave me back my music! Plato said: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.”

Debby
12-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Good thread.

I never considered ukulele until my 7 year old daughter came home from school and informed us she joined a uke club at school. My husband has an old resonator uke that got out and showed her. Next thing you know, it's become a family thing. We love it. My neice has also started playing. Ukulele love is very contagious.

Also, I'm an uptight person and it helps me relax.

So what does it mean to me? It means family time and relaxation.

rappsy
12-17-2014, 08:57 AM
It makes me smile and I forget about everything else except the things that make me smile.. I pick it up and I am instantly happy.

PereBourik
12-17-2014, 09:04 AM

In this season of my life ukulele is my teacher.

Rllink
12-17-2014, 09:17 AM
My ukulele is a pass time. It is a fun and challenging pass time that gets my brain working and gets me moving a little. I don't work, I'm retired, and it is things like the ukulele that make up my day. And at my age, time is valuable. So I think that the ukulele is a worthwhile endeavor for me at this stage of my life. I enjoy it, and I have fun with it. I enjoy the learning aspect of it as well. I need to keep learning. I really feel like if I quit learning and experiencing new things, I'm done for. Life is all about moving forward, and not looking back. I'm always looking forward to playing my uke.

Steedy
12-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Ukulele means happiness and aloha.

IamNoMan
12-17-2014, 10:07 AM
I started singing when I was about six. It was a wonder to me. At sixteen I started to go to music festivals - cart wheels turn to car wheels. I went to a Michael Cooney concert where He played The Banjo. It was a Happy instrument. At twenty six I had to get more involved and started playing the banjo based upon this inspiration. Over the years I've toyed with ukulele but never seriously and usually in open tunings. I am 60 now and last summer was visiting some friends at the Martin Guitar booth at the Philadelphia Folk Festival. The booth was overflowing with ukuleles so I told them to sell me an ukulele. I wanted a tenor that was made in Nazareth, (for all intents and purposes my home town). They couldn't do it! They said they had an expert who could sell me an ukulele. They brought forth their expert, another friend of mine Fred Oster and a month later I was the proud owner of an IZ Tenor. Didn't know who Iz was at the time! I resolved to learn the Ukulele rather than just play it. - That's the back story.

The internet has made learning almost anything very accessible. The time was ripe. Uke chords are quite simple and within a month I was performing on stage with my Uke. In learning the uke I have discovered its history, and manufacture. My and my ears' understanding of music has grown exponentially. My singing, which was good to begin with is much improved. It opened up ragtime and jazz to me in that had never been easily accessible on the banjo. I have lots of disabilities age related and otherwise. The small size and weight of the ukulele works to my advantage in this regard. It is a lovely therapeutic tool. Playing ukulele has boosted my self-confidence. Ukulele is a Happy instrument too!

Ukulele opens communications locally and world-wide. Since becoming involved at UU I have broadened my world view regarding cultures and traditions I might never have otherwise discover. Not only have I made new friends but Ukulele has gotten me back in contact with other friends and acquaintances I had lost touch with. Sometimes I think UU should mean Ukulele Unity, if that makes any sense. One of the most important parts of ukulele to me is outreach. Particularly with young people. When I perform or entertain nothing is so satisfying as seeing a youngster's eyes light up or their ears flare with interest. It happens all the time. I am happy to show kids how play my ukulele, fancy smancy ukulele or not. Young hands can play a ukulele and even sing along with themselves first time. I got into music when I was six and it made a world of difference.

Finally, I am an engineer. To me Ukulele is a machine that generates happiness and broadcasts it to the world.

puppa Zukulele
12-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Hey-Hoo-Man!!! :smileybounce:

DownUpDave
12-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Good thread.

I never considered ukulele until my 7 year old daughter came home from school and informed us she joined a uke club at school. My husband has an old resonator uke that got out and showed her. Next thing you know, it's become a family thing. We love it. My neice has also started playing. Ululele love is very contagious.

Also, I'm an uptight person and it helps me relax.

So what does it mean to me? It means family time and relaxation.

Fantastic sentiment about it becoming a family thing, that really hits home at this time of year. But what deserves to be on a T-shirt is.................."Ukulele Love is Contagious"

kohanmike
12-17-2014, 12:46 PM
For me it means fun and camaraderie, with the CC Strummers, everyone out of U-Space in Downtown L.A., and the Ukulele Underground.

bonesoup
12-17-2014, 01:07 PM
GOLD. :love: Thanks bonesoup.

Thanks man!

Debby
12-17-2014, 03:14 PM
Fantastic sentiment about it becoming a family thing, that really hits home at this time of year. But what deserves to be on a T-shirt is.................."Ukulele Love is Contagious"

Thank you! God bless ya.

Ukulele Eddie
12-17-2014, 03:17 PM
But what deserves to be on a T-shirt is.................."Ukulele Love is Contagious"

Or, maybe, "Ukulele Love is Contagious...and rarely itchy." ;-)

Dan Uke
12-17-2014, 03:23 PM
It has evolved...Initially, it was an instant high, then an obsession, then a religion, then a hinderance, and now a great balance.

Ukulele Eddie
12-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Interesting question and fun to see others' responses.

To me, I stumbled on the ukulele by chance while shopping for a violin for my daughter and decided it was a way to challenge myself with something new and completely different as I approached 50. I soon discovered how it can be deceptively simple on one hand, and yet on the other, surprisingly complex. Little did I know how much of an obsession it would become. Besides many hours of fun and frustration learning to play, I have uncovered a whole world of great musicians I never knew existed who really demonstrate how versatile the uke can be. And I've discovered remarkable artisans who build mindblowingly beautiful instruments. All this is woven together by a very wide variety of people who find some common ground in our love for this four-string craziness.

engravertom
12-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Ukulele has been the "re entrance" of music into my life.

I started 5 years ago, almost to the day. It has blessed me, my family, and many others. It has taught me to make music, and not stress over "perfection", or "the way it should be". The joy, peace, patience, and fun it has brought to me has spilled over into other areas of my life.

It has lead to my family making music together, and it has opened up songwriting to me. I had written a poem for my wife on our 10th anniversary. I wanted to set it to music, but never did, really did not understand how. last year, on our 25th, I was able to sing and play a song for her. I just played it again a few minutes ago for her.

Without the ukulele, none of this would likely have happened.

At 50, 5 years in, I probably should be better by now, but the ukulele won't let me fret about that. ;)

Whatever years I have left, music through the ukulele will be a wonderful part of the rest of my life.

Music is one of God's gifts to us, and the ukulele is one of the ways we can access it.

I love drumming, my first instrument, but i would give up the drums before the ukulele, even though i am much more accomplishes as a drummer.

The ukulele would be second only after my Bible with me on a deserted island, as far as material things go.

Totally did not see it coming into my life, so thankful it did.

:)

UkerDanno
12-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Thanks Danno. You just wrote the opening credits brother!!! But we shall attempt to dig deeper nonetheless... :p And thankyou George and Dave. Beautiful responses. :)

you asked what it meant to me...

mm stan
12-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Nice to have good discussion Jon, thank you :), just hope the ones are here to promote discussion and not the cost of ruining others..

PereBourik
12-17-2014, 05:46 PM
So far so good Stan.

aman
12-18-2014, 03:25 AM
One of the things the ukulele means to me is connections with people. I played guitar alone in my room for 25 years. I play ukulele with friends, for my family, for charity events, and for myself as well. It's been an emotionally healthier instrument for me.

^^^This^^^^

I have tried making music all my life and have always been self conscious about playing in public. Now I play the Ukulele you can't stop me playing for people.

I love the fact you can be playing and singing within a few minutes of picking up your first Uke

paul

Rllink
12-18-2014, 03:42 AM
^^^This^^^^

I have tried making music all my life and have always been self conscious about playing in public. Now I play the Ukulele you can't stop me playing for people.

I love the fact you can be playing and singing within a few minutes of picking up your first Uke

paulIt seems like when my oft mentioned friend plays his guitar, people are generally lukewarm about it. If I whip out the ukulele and start playing, people get all excited, like they are thinking, "holy cow, look what he can do with that little thing." I mean, you have to be pretty good on a guitar to impress people, not so much with the ukulele.

TheCraftedCow
12-18-2014, 09:30 AM
I am a PEGHED distributor. For five years I have been sending them all over the world. Many of them have been sent before payment is received. Many have been paid for by a personal check rather than go through PayPal and their fees. I have yet to have someone not honour their side of the transaction. Do you have any idea how liberating it is to having experienced over and over throughout the world that there are still people who are people of their word? This will never make the evening news or anything in print (other than what I am saying here), but the ukulele has introduced me to a group of players of an instrument who have a common core of decency and personal honour. Yes....I have been treated the same way by guitar players and makers.....and even banjo players and makers.

The ukulele has brought me into contact with people whose reputations leave me breathless and others who have the competencies of a newborn....but yet all are people who are people of honour. I am blessed to be surrounded by such people.

It's also a giggle to ask myself, " Which four or six ukes do you want to take with you?", rather than "Do you want to try to make room to take along your guitar?"

deschutestrout
12-18-2014, 10:05 AM
For 42 years the guitar has held and will forever hold me. About 16 months ago I bought my first uke. The journey has been magical. It has become my "go to" instrument, and has opened doors to my songwriting. My son asking "dad, can I mess with your uke?" Is the icing on the cake. First instrument he's shown keen interest in. I'm a believer in the awesome power of uke.

deschutestrout
12-18-2014, 10:20 AM
THE question that needs to be answered!!! What does the ukulele mean to you?

Please post your responses below (and a youtube clip of your answer if you feel so inclined). Spread the love. We are making a short film about what the uke means to folks around the globe incorporating live interviews and the written word. Blessings, friends. Here is the first one, unedited. I was the willing guinea pig. x

I would LOVE a tab or something of this! Great banjo-sounding uke tune!

philpot
12-18-2014, 10:27 AM
For 42 years the guitar has held and will forever hold me. About 16 months ago I bought my first uke. The journey has been magical. It has become my "go to" instrument, and has opened doors to my songwriting. My son asking "dad, can I mess with your uke?" Is the icing on the cake. First instrument he's shown keen interest in. I'm a believer in the awesome power of uke.

It's great to have you here! I'm glad you're enjoying your ukulele and spreading the love on to the next generation ;)

Edgeguy
12-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Happiness Fun. It's my little heaven on earth.

ohmless
12-18-2014, 07:40 PM
For me it is a language and connection to others. I am a shut in disabled person and never been a good talker. I can express myself with a uke much better than I can verbally. Also going to the group strum once a month gets me to meeting people.

Kyle23
12-18-2014, 08:37 PM
If you want some more opinions, I made this thread almost 2 years ago. Wow time really flies.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?76099-What-Does-the-Ukulele-Mean-to-You&highlight=kyle23

johns777
12-18-2014, 10:49 PM
What the Ukulele means to me: For about the last year I have been suffering with constant depression; I moved thousands of miles from home and I am doing a different job than I used to. The last year has had me struggling with weight gain, constant stress, and drinking way more than anyone should be drinking. I bought a ukulele for $100 yen and started to learn to play. Over the last year I have ended up with 4 ukuleles and it is my way of venting some of my stress from work and life in general. I mainly try to play punk/rock music and it helps to remind of better times in my life more simpler times than I am in now. I never seem to be depressed when I am playing the Uke.

wickedwahine11
12-19-2014, 03:14 AM
It is a way to have a tangible reminder of a place I dearly love (Hawaii) - as well as a way to finally be able to play a musical instrument to intermediate ability (after trying and failing at piano, trumpet, bass and guitar)...not because it is necessarily easier to play but because that love for Hawaii made me keep trying when it got hard.

Debby
12-19-2014, 03:58 AM

This is awesome!

Kayak Jim
12-19-2014, 10:02 AM
Playing the ukulele helps round out my life. I'm a technical guy so build things and analyze, but also create with my hands, art, furniture. The uke has awakened my musical side that has been long dormant (40+ years since high school).

Great thread Jon. Thanks for starting it and to all that replied.

Nickie
12-19-2014, 11:56 AM
This a great idea for a thread. I think I do remember seeing one like it before.
To me, the uke means I can finally play something decently, without faking it, and really enjoying it rather than seeing it as a conquest or a pain in the a-- I have to practce at.
It means that I don't listen only to Classical or Bluegrass music anymore, but all of it....yes, even rap sometimes. It means that I try to play about everything, and sing, which I never used to do, and it means that I might even finally play some Classical and Bluegrass music (gasp, horrors) on my uke.
It means that no matter how crummy life might feel like, I can always enjoy a song, even when there's no electricity or friends around.