The Tao of Ukulele

IamNoMan

Reaction score
This is a response and spin-off of the "Just the way it is" Thread started by Rllink.
I think that the spirit of the thread got lost fairly quickly, if I even conveyed it well enough in the first place, but it is true that where I was going when I wrote it might be a little abstract, and probably not a good subject for an internet forum. I was hoping for something a little less literal and a little more spiritual, but what the heck,a strap/no strap thread is always fun.

I am a Taoist. You can call it Unitarian or Deist or what ever you want. But I believe there are 1000 ways to God. Any form of spiritualism that makes the burdens of your life more bearable is OK by me. (Atheism is OK if it works for you but I do draw the line at Thuggee).

Tao means Path or Way or even Word, (in the Biblical Sense). More importantly it is Your Way.

I have many paths I follow but the most important, and satisfying path for me is Sound. I am a musician, singer and storyteller. One of my favorite things is to go outside at night and listen. I listen to birds, thunder, trains in the night. If its cloudy that's OK I won't be distracted by the stars. One of my other favorite sounds is the sound of snow falling. Far and away my most favorite-ist sound is Music.

Your turn.

Right on bro. I am an atheist but practice the philosophy of Dudeism which from what I understand from others quite like Taoism so we have some kindred of sorts. Still following a path of least resistance(thus the name) and trying to make the world a better place.

My recent success has been with patience and saving money for a new uke. I haven't been stressing over not being able to afford it because I have been busy enjoying the uke hunt. Therefore looking to not add negativity to the world, abiding my time patiently. TBH it doesn't really even matter when I get the uke since I am already happy.

Right on bro. I am an atheist but practice the philosophy of Dudeism which from what I understand from others quite like Taoism so we have some kindred of sorts. Still following a path of least resistance(thus the name) and trying to make the world a better place.

Say what you will about Dudeism...at least it's an ethos.

I am a professional Christian, from the mode of Christianity that is generous to the spiritual quest generally. Music is the beginning and guide of my path. The only imperatives are to keep moving on the path and be sensitive to the flow.

A member has reported this post and thread because of the religious angle.

To clarify: there is NO rule against talking about religion. So long as this thread remains cordial and free from the intervention of jerks (something we DO have a rule about) then it does not present a problem. There is a rule about not posting stuff that is obviously headed for destruction but, IMO, this thread does not fall into that category.

Only thing is, if it turns out to have very little uke content then it may get moved to "General Discussion".

So, carry on, play nice and have a good day.

A member has reported this post and thread because of the religious angle.

This will almost certainly break the don't be a jerk rule but that person needs to have a long hard look at themselves. Getting offended about the mere mention of religion, whether you're religious yourself or not, is pretty pathetic. Ignore the thread and get on with your life.

And have a nice day,

This will almost certainly break the don't be a jerk rule but that person needs to have a long hard look at themselves. Getting offended about the mere mention of religion, whether you're religious yourself or not, is pretty pathetic. Ignore the thread and get on with your life.

And have a nice day,

I actually thought the moderators response to the complaint rather a rich, unneccesary and belligerent comment ......but then he and I have views ;)

Ukulele as a metaphor for life:

"...before we can even think about learning how to play it, we must first concentrate hard and learn the RULES of ukulele:

1. Music is about invention and expression, not being tied to lists of rules telling the student what is and isn't allowed.
2. That's it.
Will Grove-White, Get Plucky with the Ukulele, p15

I actually thought the moderators response to the complaint rather a rich, unneccesary and belligerent comment ......but then he and I have views ;)

That is a totally unwarranted remark. When posts and/or threads are reported the moderators have a responsibility to act on behalf of the membership. Given the nature of this topic and issues that can and do sometimes arise as a result of religious discussions, I believe that buddhuu's post was extremely sensitive,fair minded and even handed. He has given us all the benefit of any doubt, left the thread open and explained his reasons for doing so. Without people like buddhuu et.al this forum would not be the place we all enjoy. Keep on fishing but be careful what you catch.

I am ESL. You guys really talk like this?
I'm guessing "ESL" is "English as a Second Language"?

In answer to your question, from my personal experience, yes, there are people who "really talk like that"! Any further comment could be seen as inflammatory, so I'll leave it there ;)

And have a nice day,

I don't think the person was offended, I think it was just a misunderstanding about the rules.

No matter. All is calm.

The Tao of Ukulele.......or path or way.....is an interesting concept. If the the ukulele makes a joyful noise then the way would be one of giving. I am also very much in tune with the vibrational qualities of a well made uke held against your body while playing. An old hippie singer/uke player said it healed the heart and soul. I know it makes me feel better as it resonates through out my body.

For me, whatever faith one professes, music brings us closer to the Truth than anything else.

MUSIC

The skin we wear.
The masks we hide behind.
Lives spent building fortresses
guarded by pleasantries
and feigned smiles

are nought but a house of cards
buffeted by the wind.
Icebergs
at the sun's mercy.
The bark of trees
Layers of onions
Sliced, diced
Stripped to the core.

A kind of perfect death is
the epiphany of life itself;
that expresses what language
cannot:

For truth begins where words end -
and, when the music plays
is captured in the phrase of a melody,
a perfectly struck single note.

That is a totally unwarranted remark. When posts and/or threads are reported the moderators have a responsibility to act on behalf of the membership. Given the nature of this topic and issues that can and do sometimes arise as a result of religious discussions, I believe that buddhuu's post was extremely sensitive,fair minded and even handed. He has given us all the benefit of any doubt, left the thread open and explained his reasons for doing so. Without people like buddhuu et.al this forum would not be the place we all enjoy. Keep on fishing but be careful what you catch.

It was actually a robust and off the cuff quip, but intended as humourous ...and as I pm'd you .....that has perhaps evaded your attention....sorry if it offended you.

Top Bottom