PDA

View Full Version : People cycling out of UU

greenie44
12-18-2014, 05:31 AM
Hi all -

I was just looking at the CD by Ukulele Underground United, which I assume came out of people associated with this site. Although I recognized a lot of the names of the artists, they are not people I see posting much on the boards these days.

This could be user bias - I don't look at the threads where they are active - or it could be that people cycle in and out of posting. Or some mass extinction event.

Any old timers around here have thoughts? Just curious.

hoosierhiver
12-18-2014, 05:45 AM
People have come and gone over the years, occasionally some come back after an extended hiatus.

coolkayaker1
12-18-2014, 05:54 AM
The eternal question: Do they cycle out of UU, or do they cycle away from the ukulele?

I do not know. I do know that, regardless of how prolific they were on UU, most eventually cycle out (e.g Oldepharte, Lisaxy, Ukeeku, RussBuss, Mailman, etc.). An occasional head poked in, just to see that the uke still has four strings, and that the low G v. high G debate is unchanged. lol

I recognize that many who attend Mike's astonishing UWC, in Indiana, were once regulars on UU, and now not on the boards much, if at all, making me think they are still playing ukulele.

katysax
12-18-2014, 06:07 AM
The eternal question: Do they cycle out of UU, or do they cycle away from the ukulele?

That is the question. Reading this forum fuels UAS. It is also repetitive. At times it is annoying. Burning out on the forum and burning out on ukulele are probably interrelated but not the same.

fretie
12-18-2014, 06:26 AM
I tend to drop in and out of UU on a regular basis. It is a dangerous place if I'm in the 'I don't want to buy any more Ukes' mode but it's a fabulous place if I want to be inspired, informed or seeking some good ol' uke chat.

janeray1940
12-18-2014, 06:37 AM

That is the question.

I'm guessing the answer to this is "both," based on my experiences both here and "in real life." When I started playing, I fell in locally with a group of women who played uke and for a while, we met up to play every chance we got. Heck, we even went to Hawaii together! Fast forward 5 years and - I'm in touch with just one of them at this point (she and I still play together in another group). As for the others - some stopped playing entirely, some still play but the responsibilities of life have cut in on their free time. I'm guessing that last bit may apply to some old-time UU members: life happens, and sometimes gets in the way.

As for the group I currently play in - we've lost two members this past year, one to a move too far away, the other to "life getting in the way." In the coming year, we expect to lose two more due to babies on the way. The first two still play AFAIK; if the latter two manage to do so even with the needs of a newborn in the house, then great - but again, life may get in the way.

As for participation in the forums: speaking only for myself, I come and go, usually depending on free time and the general tone of the posts (there have been times when I have backed away for this reason alone). I personally began playing music precisely due to the fact that I work on a computer for 10 hours a day and wanted something low-tech to spend my non-work hours on, so I really try to limit my "just hanging out on the internet" time. But as a resource when information is needed - UU can't be beat, so I keep coming back.

bborzell
12-18-2014, 07:02 AM
My guess is that coming and going is more a forum related dynamic than uke related. Notwithstanding the fact that interest and time demands change, I would be surprised to learn that most folks whose presence here has dropped off are experiencing a similar detachment from their uke.

For my part, I find forums worthwhile when the ratio of helpful and informative posts to posts that reflect an individual's need to express themselves at the expense of others is almost exclusively in favor of the former.

UU is one of the few forums I frequent where I have seen fit to utilize the "ignore" feature. Not to say that cycling, woodworking, guitars, mandolins or audio doesn't get their share of folks for whom taking shots is a frequent opener. Maybe it just seems so out of place in a forum that celebrates the good feelings that come from holding a uke in your hands.

Ukulele Eddie
12-18-2014, 07:27 AM
I do not know. I do know that, regardless of how prolific they were on UU, most eventually cycle out (e.g Oldepharte, Lisaxy, Ukeeku, RussBuss, Mailman, etc.). An occasional head poked in, just to see that the uke still has four strings, and that the low G v. high G debate is unchanged. lol

Did anyone every hear from Oldepharte? Rather than gradually cycle out, he just disappeared. I recall a thread where somebody was asking about him and had not seen him on a motorcycle board they also both frequented. I was just wondering if anyone ever confirmed he was okay, just spending energy elsewhere.

hoosierhiver
12-18-2014, 07:41 AM
I just got the annual Christmas card from the Russbuss family. :)

sukie
12-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Did anyone every hear from Oldepharte? Rather than gradually cycle out, he just disappeared. I recall a thread where somebody was asking about him and had not seen him on a motorcycle board they also both frequented. I was just wondering if anyone ever confirmed he was okay, just spending energy elsewhere.
Yes! I got in contact with him. He was, and probably still is, swamped with day-to-day work.

Yep, people come and go. Some of the people who aren't around much I see in "real-life". I had lunch with LisaXy this summer. Others I see at ukulele stuff. They may not post, but they are still active in ukulele. I also do wonder how many gave up on ukulele. Gotta be a bunch.

Now I gotta watch the mailbox for a special card.

molokinirum
12-18-2014, 08:09 AM
Life gets in the way....I pop in and out, BUT, I still play the uke!!

philpot
12-18-2014, 08:14 AM
People generally pop in and out. I've been off the forum for probably about a year and a half because college took up the majority of my time. Coming back, it seems like a lot of old souls aren't around anymore. I never moved on from ukulele playing, though, and I certainly hope the people who have taken time off the forum haven't either.

Jon Moody
12-18-2014, 08:17 AM
My guess is that coming and going is more a forum related dynamic than uke related.

Agreed. There is always a cycle of new people coming in, old people leaving, the same questions being asked, etc..

UU is one of the few forums I frequent where I have seen fit to utilize the "ignore" feature. Not to say that cycling, woodworking, guitars, mandolins or audio doesn't get their share of folks for whom taking shots is a frequent opener. Maybe it just seems so out of place in a forum that celebrates the good feelings that come from holding a uke in your hands.

Part of my day job involves hanging out on forums (yeah, you can say I get paid to be on UU!!), and it's unfortunate that I agree with this statement completely. Having grown up with BBS, and then watched them evolve into what we now use as forums, it's easy to type something with "internet bravery" and hit send, instead of asking yourself "If I was having a conversation with this person in my house, would I say the same thing?"

philpot
12-18-2014, 08:43 AM
I can't speak to anyone else's experience, but FWIW, this is the most chill forum I've ever been a part of. Certainly there are jerks everywhere on the internet, but this place has always felt welcoming to me. Maybe I've missed some of the drama.

Debby
12-18-2014, 08:46 AM
I'm still too new here to "take a break," yet. My internet use goes in phases and it normally coincides with the weather. I won't be here as much in the spring. We have a small farm. We are busy with getting things going outside when the winter thaws. So in the spring, when I am here less...you'll know why. Same goes with autumn.

I also participate on a couple genealogy websites. I think they are use to my disappearances. Lol

Yukon Cornelius
12-18-2014, 08:57 AM
I changed my name. I am a recovering PoHo. I took a very long hiatus here. Not sure why. Might have been lack of interest or common interest in the PoHo scene as well as life. My oldest is almost 4 and I started becoming distant then. Then work (I'm a teacher) then it was the same basic threads just rethreaded.

I still play occasionally. Just not as much. I still lurk, just don't post as much. There was a changing of the guard a few years ago, and when a lot of those old timers left, you could tell the site changed. Not necessarily for the worse, just changed. No more Deaching. Heck, I bet most new UU memebers (last three years or so) don't even know what Deaching is.

Doc_J
12-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Folks come here first looking for an answer to a question, or to learn something related to ukuleles.
Seems people stay as long as they need to find their answers to old and new questions. Along the way we may find other reasons to stay. A lot of us find kindred souls with whom we enjoy sharing information and stories, so we stay longer.

I don't spend much time on other forums, but UU seems a whole lot more Aloha than The Gear Forum. :)

caukulele
12-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Well, I have been here awhile and have seen people come and go...I don't think leaving the forum necessarily means that people have stopped playing the ukulele...but interests change and focuses also. Unfortunately, I have seen a few leave this forum due to misunderstandings, and sometimes it all gets too much for me.... and I do agree with the statements:
"Quote Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Part of my day job involves hanging out on forums (yeah, you can say I get paid to be on UU!!), and it's unfortunate that I agree with this statement completely. Having grown up with BBS, and then watched them evolve into what we now use as forums, it's easy to type something with "internet bravery" and hit send, instead of asking yourself "If I was having a conversation with this person in my house, would I say the same thing?"
Sometimes, it is hard to see the sparks fly as the insults start flying..and unfortunately, I do think that people sometimes hide behind the "anonymous" (sort of) feature of the internet and can say things that they would never say face to face.... I believe in kindness and charity as much as possible, and I also know that there are always many different opinions and ways of doing things....

Yukon Cornelius
12-18-2014, 09:13 AM
Folks come here first looking for an answer to a question, or to learn something related to ukuleles.
Seems people stay as long as they need to find their answers to old and new questions. Along the way we may find other reasons to stay. A lot of us find kindred souls with whom we enjoy sharing information and stories, so we stay longer.

I don't spend much time on other forums, but UU seems a whole lot more Aloha than The Gear Forum. :)

UU was my first forum. I found it from a MySpace friend. I had a thread shut down while asking for Uke companies that donated to kids, bunch of members stood up for me, b/c I wasn't asking for donations from members. I was hooked at the Aloha spirit.

I've joined a few more forums over the years and am fairly active on one other forum. The rest are not pleasant.

soupking
12-18-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm on UU an embarrassingly insane amount of time each day. To date, I've found that it's the best way to keep my UAS thriving and my finances in ruins. :cool:

IamNoMan
12-18-2014, 09:24 AM
My guess is that coming and going is more a forum related dynamic than uke related.
I have spent much of my life as a volunteer, grunt and executive for many different types of activities. There is a dynamic here but it goes beyond forums or instruments. Enthusiasm waxes and wanes. After 2-1/2 to 3 years active duty burn-out occurs. If one perseveres in spite of burn-out for ~ 5 years; one will leave and not likely to come back. If you are an executive in this type of activity search for competent replacements or rotate the responsibilities of the individual involved. My experience has been that it takes about a year to recruit the right folks.

The saddest aspect of this is in Crafter Family situations. If the family doesn't share the same vision but the non-crafter continues to support the Crafter without furloughs after about five years the family all too often breaks up, permanently. Very, very sad. My wife is a crafter. I am not. Susan has been doing this for 25 years. I am on furlough.

Yukon Cornelius
12-18-2014, 09:26 AM
"Popular" UU posters (judged by numbers of posts) also come in waves...it's weird. Funny at times to look at an old thread while researching something, only to see a familiar name that only posted, like, 300 times, over a four month span. :rolleyes:

A flash in the pan.

(who could forget iamsambient's baritone-loving/everything-else-sucks posts of 10 months ago :))
(PDXuke's getting us all to buy vintage stuff in 2012...lol)
(the 2014 summer of Icelander53 and Ponos...lol)

Those are called Pohos:)

philpot
12-18-2014, 09:29 AM
I'm on UU an embarrassingly insane amount of time each day. To date, I've found that it's the best way to keep my UAS thriving and my finances in ruins. :cool:
I'm lucky I'm a broke college student, because despite all the talk of UAS, it's never managed to bite me yet ;)

engravertom
12-18-2014, 09:35 AM
Look at my post count, I have never posted a ton. I found a lot of help in the beginning, hope I shared some helpful stuff, tabs, opinions, etc. I drifted to the guitar for a while, then came back to the Uke. never gave up the Uke. thought about it some.

Now, I am more busy playing and writing music. I also have settled on alternate tunings for my Ukes, so i don't know how relevant what I have to say would be. Mostly, it is time though.

I don't think I am the sort of person one would notice whether I am here or not. I have always read more than post. I do plan to stay on, and we will see about the frequency.

It's been dicey at times, but I think I am a Uke lifer... hopefully a UU lifer too. Love this place!

Yukon Cornelius
12-18-2014, 09:35 AM
I'm lucky I'm a broke college student, because despite all the talk of UAS, it's never managed to bite me yet ;)

student loans:) LOl!! J/K don't.

I did buy a nice ukulele once from left over student loans refund.

70sSanO
12-18-2014, 09:52 AM
I cycle. Road biking for 30 years. I started mountain biking a year and a half ago, broke my clavicle in October, and turned 63 a week ago.

Oh... I guess you mean a different type of cycling, which I also do.

I started playing the ukulele in 2007. Joined the now defunct UkeTalk Forum in 2007 and UU after that in 2010. The people on both forums have been great.

For me personally, I got too busy to post very much between work and other pastimes. But that didn't mean I stopped playing. In fact, spending more time on the fretboard and less on the keyboard has really helped me improve my playing. I still like to check out things every now and then.

John

IamNoMan
12-18-2014, 10:05 AM
I post as a social activity as much as anything. I live in the boondocks, in a very reactionary neighbor hood. I am involved at BHO but to a much lesser degree. Lot of reactionaries there too. I guess it comes with the skin heads.:p Ultimate Guitar is good for tabs but the reactionaries there are too soft. Mudcat Cafe is my kind of reactionary: a Brit Wild Wild Wet.
Now UU is not too hard and not to soft but just right.

Ukulele Eddie
12-18-2014, 10:08 AM
I cycle. Road biking for 30 years. I started mountain biking a year and a half ago, broke my clavicle in October, and turned 63 a week ago.

Oh... I guess you mean a different type of cycling, which I also do.

I started playing the ukulele in 2007. Joined the now defunct UkeTalk Forum in 2007 and UU after that in 2010. The people on both forums have been great.

For me personally, I got too busy to post very much between work and other pastimes. But that didn't mean I stopped playing. In fact, spending more time on the fretboard and less on the keyboard has really helped me improve my playing. I still like to check out things every now and then.

John

John - Avid cyclist here, too (and local to you), though almost exclusively road (used to ride a lot of track, too). I need to follow your lead to read & post more and spend more time on the fretboard rather than the computer keyboard!

Ukulele Eddie
12-18-2014, 10:15 AM

That might be true in general, but on the recent thread we're not allowed to discuss here, they were much more understanding than some of our members were. But I'll leave it at that! ;-)

bbycrts
12-18-2014, 10:22 AM

I recognize that many who attend Mike's astonishing UWC, in Indiana, were once regulars on UU, and now not on the boards much, if at all, making me think they are still playing ukulele.

Mailman is alive and well and posting like the PoHo he is...not that I should be one to talk.

kohanmike
12-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Being that I've never been married, have no kids, semi-retired about the same time I signed up to UU about 16 months ago, I play with a group twice a week and constantly convert the music to my tablet, and I have the time to login here a couple times a day. I know UAS has very much infected me and until I sell the one I have in the Market Place, my cabinet is full, but I still like to look at what's out there and discuss various aspects of ukulele.

It's very possible that in a couple of years I will not be as active, which has happened to me on a Nikon forum where before I bought all the gear I wanted, I was an avid poster, but now 5 years later, I visit the same amount of time, but post far less.

gyosh
12-18-2014, 11:24 AM
I found a little corner of UU I like to hang out on and I don't venture out to the main threads that often.

From what I've seen, many of the topics tend to repeat and since I've most likely offered up my two cents in the past, it doesn't seem like I need to keep repeating thoughts that can be searched. I pop in to welcome people, spectate a toxic thread, or to see what's up with UU.

It is what it is. Although I will add I've noticed that "Aloha" spirit and community was more prevalent when I first got here, and now I see more and more of the typical trolling and name calling hid behind the anonymity of the internet.

It is what it is and what we make it to be.

mailman
12-18-2014, 11:28 AM
Mailman is alive and well and posting like the PoHo he is...not that I should be one to talk.

Indeed !! Still here, after all these years....;)

tattwo
12-18-2014, 11:32 AM
I've been around since 2008 and I still check in a couple times a week.....and I spread the word about U.U.

buddhuu
12-18-2014, 11:36 AM
I mostly lurk and read these days. I still play, but more of my time is taken up with guitar at the moment because I play that in a couple of bands. My other instruments - uke, mandolin, whistle etc - have taken a bit of a back seat. I still play uke for myself, but don't perform with it at the moment.

dkcrown
12-18-2014, 12:21 PM
I don't know if I am an old timer, but I have been here awhile. I don't post that much anymore, but I do lurk. And most importantly, I still play just about every day!

I will say that the same old threads that pop up time and time again do sap some of the interest in posting on the forum for me.

And I do miss Deach's unique sense of humor!

Garydavkra
12-18-2014, 12:56 PM
I don't participate as much as I did when I first joined. I do still play the uke more than I ever did. I have many interests such as cycling, ham radio, painting and drawing, working out, etc. I take more time writing and playing my own songs and have been participating more in a uke group and the local guitar society as well as open mics. As for the forum, well I just outgrew it, I guess. The topics being discussed are just about the same as they where when I first joined. I still read some of the posts but, I don't post that much now. I use to participate in the Seasons and did for about a year but, I couldn't keep up with the one week time limit due to other activities. So I started thinking about posting my videos elsewhere but, that didn't really materialize because, I was getting more involved with local uke groups and other playing opportunities.

Kanaka916
12-18-2014, 03:51 PM
There are still a few of us oldtimers around . . . like Rick, mostly lurk and read. I do still play, not as much. People come and go, that's just the way it is. We've got 110,000 + members and I gotta give kudos to the active members for the continued participation.

stevepetergal
12-18-2014, 05:26 PM
It gets harder, as time the sands of time dribble, to find posts or questions here that aren't the same statements and questions we older folks have addressed repeatedly.
I stay tuned in for those exceptions and for the few opportunities to help steer people away from the mistakes I've made. Some of them only seem stupid in hindsight.
I may be the most qualified person to counsel UU members on the particularly stupid mistakes.

Nickie
12-18-2014, 06:02 PM
"If I was having a conversation with this person in my house, would I say the same thing?"

This may be one of the most important statements in forum decorum I've ever read. I was a member of 3 scooter forums before selling my scoots and coming to UU. I don't recall anyone EVER seeing anyone sling oily exhaust at anyone else....I may take a hiatus now and then (some of you may be saying "whew")....but I'll probably always come back....fair warning....

sam13
12-18-2014, 06:15 PM
I am new to Ukulele and so I really enjoy the forum ... and the peeps I am getting to know. Great folks.

In balance, I think this is a great additional resource and opportunity for friendships across the globe. For me, it works.

Markr1
12-18-2014, 06:23 PM
I'm still around too tho much more of a lurker now. Just don't have much to say anymore. Still playing ukes but more into my guitars at this time.

IamNoMan
12-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Reading this thread I cannot tell if all the melancholia herein is nostalgia or if there is serious concern about the State of the UU. I'm a relative newcomer here and still in the height of the initial enthusiasm stage. From what I can see the forums work pretty well. OK the old-timers would like to see more original content but you can only have the first Woman on Mars once.

When I look at things objectively, at least a objectively as a crazy person can; UU is a solid community endeavor. About the only time I see tempers flash is when CeeJay doesn't understand English. Its ESL for him I know, and much calmer than say Mudcat Cafe. They have a lot of ESL Brits too! The pros whether they are Dealers, musicians or Luthiers are most helpful to us prols. Very little trade squabbling. The UU university seems to be on track. The Seasons is a marvelous program. Playing with other people is the best way to improve quickly and UU has figured out how to do it in a virtual environment. Amazing! Of course the apparent melancholy could just be Seasonal Affect Dosorder. It is the Dark time of the year you know. As ukecan1 might say "don't worry be happy".

kohanmike
12-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Where do we find "The Seasons" link?

Dan Uke
12-18-2014, 09:50 PM
"If I was having a conversation with this person in my house, would I say the same thing?"

Seems like a bogus question as why would you be in my house?

RAB11
12-18-2014, 11:07 PM

It's a subforum within the Contests section. Weekly challenges, each with a different theme, each 'hosted' by a different member each week. Lots of fun, lots of support for your playing, lots of great playing from fellow members to watch, and a great way to improve your skills. I've been doing it since March and not looked back. Think I've only missed 2 or 3 weeks since then.

consitter
12-18-2014, 11:17 PM
Being that I've never been married, have no kids, semi-retired about the same time I signed up to UU about 16 months ago, I play with a group twice a week and constantly convert the music to my tablet, and I have the time to login here a couple times a day. I know UAS has very much infected me and until I sell the one I have in the Market Place, my cabinet is full, but I still like to look at what's out there and discuss various aspects of ukulele.

It's very possible that in a couple of years I will not be as active, which has happened to me on a Nikon forum where before I bought all the gear I wanted, I was an avid poster, but now 5 years later, I visit the same amount of time, but post far less.

Dude. You need somebody to leave all those ukes to.

PM me and I'll give you the details you need to put me in your will. :)

consitter
12-18-2014, 11:22 PM
I found a little corner of UU I like to hang out on and I don't venture out to the main threads that often.

From what I've seen, many of the topics tend to repeat and since I've most likely offered up my two cents in the past, it doesn't seem like I need to keep repeating thoughts that can be searched. I pop in to welcome people, spectate a toxic thread, or to see what's up with UU.

It is what it is. Although I will add I've noticed that "Aloha" spirit and community was more prevalent when I first got here, and now I see more and more of the typical trolling and name calling hid behind the anonymity of the internet.

It is what it is and what we make it to be.

GET OUTTA MY HEAD!!

He said word for word, what I have to say about UU. The only difference is, I would've probably used a little better punctuation and diction. ;) Seriously, he hit spot on what I think about this place.

Jon Moody
12-19-2014, 03:08 AM
Seems like a bogus question as why would you be in my house?

Given that we never talk, you'll have to give me the benefit of the doubt in terms of trying to read your comment as either genuine or joking.

But, you know what I mean. Too many people online are quick to post something completely out of character than what they'd actually say to someone face to face. Internet bravery is an odd thing. I've had the ability to meet a large number of people I've conversed with online, and there have been a couple that offline were so much cooler and easy to deal with than their online persona.

coolkayaker1
12-19-2014, 04:06 AM
Reading this thread I cannot tell if all the melancholia herein is nostalgia or if there is serious concern about the State of the UU.

It's not melancholia (the wintertime, i.e. now, is usually the most active time on UU), or the State of UU.

It's the state of the ukulele.

hawaii 50
12-19-2014, 06:37 AM
It's not melancholia (the wintertime, i.e. now, is usually the most active time on UU), or the State of UU.

It's the state of the ukulele.

Haha...Cool...it is the state of the UU....not the Ukulele..

since there are very few members that post on the UU from Asia(Singapore,Thailand,Japan,China,Hong Kong,Taiwan,Korea...etc) and even Hawaii for various reasons.... seems like the uke may be slowing down...but there is a larger ukulele fan base for the uke than just here on the UU....IMO

Tudorp
12-19-2014, 07:23 AM
I used to post regularly, but don't post much these days. I do visit the site nearly every day as a lurker, but don't contribute like I used to. My reason is I am not as active with the uke as I was due to health reasons. I still play, but not as well as I used to due to those health limitations. I used to have a lot of ukulele projects, but for the same reason, don't anymore. It might be my own mind, but I don't feel I have as much value to contribute as I once did. As my daughter has gotten older, now a senior in high school, I don't have as much interaction with the kids in the community as I did as I used to teach and play for the younger kids as she was growing up. Now, the older kids and teenagers have their own lives, and other interests. Some of them still play around with the ukulele, but many times it is lost amongst their other activities. I'm still around, just been slowing down over the years.

Dan Uke
12-19-2014, 08:43 AM
Given that we never talk, you'll have to give me the benefit of the doubt in terms of trying to read your comment as either genuine or joking.

But, you know what I mean. Too many people online are quick to post something completely out of character than what they'd actually say to someone face to face. Internet bravery is an odd thing. I've had the ability to meet a large number of people I've conversed with online, and there have been a couple that offline were so much cooler and easy to deal with than their online persona.

hahaha...if you're at NAMM this year, I'lll try to stop by as long as you're at the uke section...NAMM is way too big!!

Jon Moody
12-19-2014, 08:44 AM
hahaha...if you're at NAMM this year, I'lll try to stop by as long as you're at the uke section...NAMM is way too big!!

Definitely will be at NAMM; I work for GHS Strings, after all. I'll mainly be in our booth in Hall C.

ichadwick
12-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Some of us don't always have a lot of time for the Net, and there are a lot of sites that demand our attention (a growing number, it seems)... but we still love the ukulele.

I don't come here as often as I used to. Perhaps it's because I got tired of responding to so many of the same threads and questions repeated over the years; I simply ran out of new things to say. Perhaps it's because I prefer to arrange and play music than talk about it. Perhaps it's also because often I simply read threads without commenting, so my presence isn't noted as much.

Teek
12-19-2014, 09:58 AM
UU used to be way more about the aloha spirit and filled a need for community and social interaction for me, but it has acquired some trollish members over the last couple of years. Every forum has them (just like in real life) but this one was better than that for a long while. A few of them have shaped up and dropped their constant snarkiness or have left, some are still over-reactive needlessly abusive name callers, and I have to use the ignore button. Seems to me that now when I try to help someone or attempt a thoughtful post, I more often get a cold shoulder or slammed, so meh. I can get that from my own toxic dysfunctional family. I have gone several months at a time without bothering to post because of this. Maybe others feel the same way.

I am working though UU+ and enjoying it. I currently have the roadtrip Clara and may comment about that later, or just thoroughly enjoy it and keep my observations to myself.

I also like to lurk on FMM and some of the guitar forums now too. Or read a book.

hoosierhiver
12-19-2014, 10:23 AM
For all those nostalgic members who miss the good ol' days.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?8411-Growing-pains/page2

Tudorp
12-19-2014, 10:29 AM
UU used to be way more about the aloha spirit and filled a need for community and social interaction for me, but it has acquired some trollish members over the last couple of years. Every forum has them (just like in real life) but this one was better than that for a long while. A few of them have shaped up and dropped their constant snarkiness or have left, some are still over-reactive needlessly abusive name callers, and I have to use the ignore button. Seems to me that now when I try to help someone or attempt a thoughtful post, I more often get a cold shoulder or slammed, so meh. I can get that from my own toxic dysfunctional family. I have gone several months at a time without bothering to post because of this. Maybe others feel the same way.

I am working though UU+ and enjoying it. I currently have the roadtrip Clara and may comment about that later, or just thoroughly enjoy it and keep my observations to myself.

I also like to lurk on FMM and some of the guitar forums now too. Or read a book.

Since you brought it up, I have to admit, that is one of the other reasons I don't participate as often. I don't do well with drama, especially internet drama. I have always avoided it whenever possible..

ricdoug
12-19-2014, 10:55 AM
105,984 is the current number of registered UU members, which does not include the lurkers.

I know a lot of members here in California that used to be prominent on the UU that are now full time performing musicians. They tell me they still read, but don't have the time to post.

Forum bullies exist all over, but the UU is still more civil (thanks moderators) than others I participate in.

The UU is an encyclopedia of information for people searching for anything 'ukulele. Ric

coolkayaker1
12-19-2014, 10:57 AM

That was cool to read, Mike. Other than you, not one (maybe haole, occasionally) still on UU.

And even back in the "aloha" days, bitching about bad spirit on contest threads. So, human nature was always there -- it's just that one remembers the past as more "aloha" than it truly was; just as we all remember our kids making us laugh when they were learning to ride a two-wheeler bicycle, and yet we tend to forget their teenage years when they whipped us with our own leather belt while we lay, facedown, on the living room sofa, tearfully wishing they would move out.

Life's memories are funny that way.

Down Up Dick
12-19-2014, 11:25 AM
What the heck does the ignore list do? Can't one simply ignore comments? Hmmmm? :old:

Pukulele Pete
12-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Sorry , I was out cycling , did I miss anything ?

Uncle Leroy
12-19-2014, 12:05 PM
I started a different job that takes up a lot of time. I still play my Uke an hour a day before bedtime and each morning with coffee. If I spend too much time here, I end up buying stuff. Which, of course, isn't always a bad thing.

Nickie
12-19-2014, 12:17 PM
I love UU, don't get me wrong. I'd rather play or just listen to music than lurk here, but I cant do those at work. Bleah. But I can UU to my hearts content if Im not busy. I bet there are just as many people buying ukes and starting as there are quitting or dying. Almost everytime I go to a uke event, I meet somebody new, and it's hard not to see someone buying thier first uke if you hang around music stores at all.

Dan Uke
12-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Maybe people realized that they can have fun with the uke without being on UU.

itsme
12-19-2014, 12:25 PM
I probably post less than I used to, but I still visit regularly.

Like some others have mentioned, it gets old seeing the same topics over and over, so I just don't bother. Then there are all of the what I call "circle jerk" threads that I have no desire to respond to anymore.

buddhuu
12-19-2014, 01:35 PM
UU used to be way more about the aloha spirit and filled a need for community and social interaction for me, but it has acquired some trollish members over the last couple of years. Every forum has them (just like in real life) but this one was better than that for a long while. A few of them have shaped up and dropped their constant snarkiness or have left, some are still over-reactive needlessly abusive name callers [...]
As a mod maybe I shouldn't comment on this but I'm going to.

I agree with Teek. Things have changed. UU is still a great place, and still many times more cordial and civilised than most (for example) guitar or gear forums. That said, I do miss the slightly fluffier days of a few years back. Some members, including some mods, feel differently and think that there is somehow something bad or sickly about "nice". I don't believe that: I think it's just a line that too many people have bought.

I don't know if we have more trolls - they were always here - but they seem to be more accepted as a feature now. In the old days, abrasive types would get told off more by the fluffy-aloha brigade, which was kind of cool.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not the fluffiest guy in the world; I'm a loud, obnoxious, hyperpolitical anarchist - but not here. This was always a calm oasis.

Meh. Things change, I suppose. That's fine, but change isn't always progress.

Like I say though, UU is still way nicer than, for example, The Gear Page.

CeeJay
12-19-2014, 02:21 PM
I'll bite....gently ....often what is seen as toxic or trolling ,is a misguided attempt at wit or banter ....forgetting that there is:

a) A generation gap.

b) A lack of comprehension of each nations sense of humour.

c) Misunderstanding of a common language.

d) But the most important is this one ...when you hear the phrase "I play the ukelele"..once upon a time it meant one thing and one style.

That has changed so dramatically on this third Wave of popularity and often leads now to the bust ups and crossed wires .

So many different methods , styles and schools of thought .......and so many different levels of experience.

Still ,it's been fun,mostly.

good_uke_boy
12-19-2014, 02:40 PM
When I started playing a uke, then ukes, about 3 years ago, I didn't know I was part of a wave. I just happened to see a uke in a music store and thought, "that looks like fun." Then, I discovered UU, which opened my eyes to the passion and skill that UU members bring to the instrument, and which made it even more fun to try to elicit music from these little works of art. To UU members who've cycled out: thanks from a relative newbie. I've learned a lot, and acquired a lot of enthusiasm from you.

itsme
12-19-2014, 02:41 PM
Things have changed. UU is still a great place, and still many times more cordial and civilised than most (for example) guitar or gear forums. That said, I do miss the slightly fluffier days of a few years back. Some members, including some mods, feel differently and think that there is somehow something bad or sickly about "nice". I don't believe that: I think it's just a line that too many people have bought.
If by fluffier days you mean the "land of happy happy joy joy" then I disagree. I remember receiving PMs from mods and others about how I wasn't being aloha enough and shouldn't go counter to the spirit of the forum.

Sure, there are a few annoying people here, but I think the rest kind of keep them in check. If not, give them a warning or a vacation from their posting privileges. If they persist, then ban them.

I've done the forum admin thing, and you walk a fine line. You try to be fair, but there comes a time to pull the plug on problem children.

haole
12-19-2014, 02:50 PM
A lot of old regulars who left the forum a long time ago got sick of the same threads ("what strings for my new ___", "what uke to buy", "how do you pronounce ukulele") and the belief that everyone here is too sappy and nice and that the mods are tyrants who close threads where anyone dares to post anything negative. Now we have the same string threads but the "popcorn" threads go on much, much longer and greatly outlive any kind of civilized discussion. Funny how that works. D:

I still love UU and check it regularly, but there just aren't a whole lot of new discussions. That, and it's more satisfying to play music than to be on the panel of armchair experts who show up whenever a thread about a uke brand shows up. :confused:

Debby
12-19-2014, 02:54 PM
Well, I can only offer up my perspective of a newbie, here. The old threads hold a great wealth of information, and I have spent many hours reading through them and learning. This site has helped me learn a lot about the ukulele in a short amount of time. The old threads are very valuable. However, it's no fun to participate on a thread that is several years old. If someone new wants to add to it, or ask a question....it is kind of weird when it's an old thread and everyone within it has moved on.

It also bums me out that I apparently missed the glory days here...

CeeJay
12-19-2014, 02:54 PM
If by fluffier days you mean the "land of happy happy joy joy" then I disagree. I remember receiving PMs from mods and others about how I wasn't being aloha enough and shouldn't go counter to the spirit of the forum.

Sure, there are a few annoying people here, but I think the rest kind of keep them in check. If not, give them a warning or a vacation from their posting privileges. If they persist, then ban them.

I've done the forum admin thing, and you walk a fine line. You try to be fair, but there comes a time to pull the plug on problem children.

There are always going to be frictions and fractions between people though .
Human nature. The problem that seems to manifest is an ability to harmonize and reset....for instance I get a lot of cold shoulder and ignored because of a past misdemeanour...there seems to be no leeway or forgive and forget ..

However , I am making a noise and running the risk of being a problem child so I will shut up and go to the naughty step..:o

Nickie
12-19-2014, 03:13 PM
I'll bite....gently ....often what is seen as toxic or trolling ,is a misguided attempt at wit or banter ....forgetting that there is:

a) A generation gap.

d) But the most important is this one ...when you hear the phrase "I play the ukelele"..once upon a time it meant one thing and one style.

That has changed so dramatically on this third Wave of popularity and often leads now to the bust ups and crossed wires .

So many different methods , styles and schools of thought .......and so many different levels of experience.

Well, CeeJay, your take on this IS interesting....thank you, I will try to be more open minded about what I feel is fiestiness on UUfrom now on.....and I bet just as many new folks cycle on as cycle off....I can't cycle anymore, it hurts to ride a bike now....darn it

CeeJay
12-19-2014, 03:24 PM
Well, CeeJay, your take on this IS interesting....thank you, I will try to be more open minded about what I feel is fiestiness on UUfrom now on.....and I bet just as many new folks cycle on as cycle off....I can't cycle anymore, it hurts to ride a bike now....darn it

I love you Nickie....I wanted to do that gag ..but well I behaved myself ...for once..
I find cycling a pain in the arse.....sorry ass now as well...:nana:

Biscuit says hello to Mrs H and Goofball.

philpot
12-19-2014, 08:18 PM
If there's something we miss about the "old days of UU," especially when it has to do with forum attitude and demeanor, isn't that something we can bring back? :) I'll admit, since I've picked back up with checking on the forum regularly, things do feel a bit different. I miss some of the old souls I bonded with through this forum. I made some great friends. But maintaining or restoring that atmosphere is dependent on the people who frequent the forum now.

bird's eye view of my ukelele
12-19-2014, 08:59 PM

right here

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/forumdisplay.php?47-Seasons-of-the-Ukulele

Teek
12-19-2014, 10:06 PM
CeeJay, just in case I feel I must clarify I'm personally not having issues with misunderstandings as you noted (and that guy from Wales is someone I like a lot!! :D). I grew up with old people when I was young and am older now so I span a broad time period and probably have a better grasp of the last 110 years than most here. I'm also fluent in different versions, variations, usages, slang and patois of English.

a) A generation gap.

Rock-A-Hula
12-20-2014, 12:32 AM
I stop by from time to time... :)

Pukulele Pete
12-20-2014, 03:44 AM

Funny ,...........sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that reads my posts so I post less often

coolkayaker1
12-20-2014, 03:45 AM

Just that we've finally resolved the low G versus high G debate.

it's high G exclusively from here on out. Any threads to the contrary will be unceremoniously closed by the Mods. But no, you didn't miss anything, Pete.

Pukulele Pete
12-20-2014, 03:59 AM
Just that we've finally resolved the low G versus high G debate.

it's high G exclusively from here on out. Any threads to the contrary will be unceremoniously closed by the Mods. But no, you didn't miss anything, Pete.

Thanks , nice to hear about high G , its about time . Merry Christmas to Everyone.

CeeJay
12-20-2014, 04:21 AM
CeeJay, just in case I feel I must clarify I'm personally not having issues with misunderstandings as you noted (and that guy from Wales is someone I like a lot!! :D). I grew up with old people when I was young and am older now so I span a broad time period and probably have a better grasp of the last 110 years than most here. I'm also fluent in different versions, variations, usages, slang and patois of English.

Well, cool...I'm a bit lost on the "guy from Wales is someone I like a lot" part though.........? please to shine a little light on my befuddlement :D

gyosh
12-20-2014, 05:45 AM

a) A generation gap.

All your points are valid, but they've also been offered up as an "apology" for someone just being an ass.

From what I've seen lately is when a thread starts to go sideways someone will step in and say "let's keep the aloha spirit in mind" (or something to that effect), and then that person gets attacked from a barrage of people implying first amendment rights, opposing ideas are good, "civil" discussion is needed, etc. etc.

Usually that person is genuinely imbedded in the "aloha spirit" or from Hawaii where it's not only practiced, but an actual law. The people who say the forum Is different aren't romanticizing something that never truly existed, because at one time, when UU was smaller, it did exist.

I think people come aboard now a days trying to establish themselves, to puff out their chests and be noticed as the UU alpha when really we are all guests of the people who truly do own the forum, Rayan, Aaron and Aldrine. Their goal was to spread aloha through the ukulele and the forum is their playground where they allow us to play. We lose sight of that. We think it's ours to control and it's not. This forum is by no means out of control and is still one of the friendliest on the Internet . . . but it isn't as aloha as it used to be and that's not me waxing for the old days.

Like a growing family, as the generations pass, we lose some of our culture and start to blend with the larger society and the elders sit back and mourn the loss of traditions, and cultural identity. The UU Ohana grew fast, and we're just experiencing the result of that growth. We also have less of the original posters participating, many of which are from Hawaii and live that aloha spirit, so there are fewer examples to listen to, and learn from by example.

When people say it's changed, it's because it has.

Are change and growth a good thing?

Not always. But like I said in my earlier post. It is what is or what we make it to be.

Down Up Dick
12-20-2014, 06:07 AM
Nobody answered my question about the darned ignore list. I guess I'm being ignored--nice people! :old:

janeray1940
12-20-2014, 06:18 AM
Nobody answered my question about the darned ignore list. I guess I'm being ignored--nice people! :old:

If you click on the member's profile, below their picture and name is a list of options. One is "add to ignore list." Basically it just replaces their posts with a message that says something like "this person is on your ignore list" and you don't see what they've written.

It comes in handy from time to time but really, how hard is it to just ignore what someone's written if you don't like it? I mean - this is an internet forum, if we don't like it, we don't have to look. Easy peasy.

CeeJay
12-20-2014, 06:18 AM

I believe that it does as it says on the tin. It ignores that persons post on your browser view of the forum .....

There are a couple of people on here with whom I have had a run in. I have tried to build bridges to no avail.:(..I therefore assume that they have put me on the "ignore" list....I know that Hippie Dribble openly told me that he was going to do this (and fairplay to him, he was open about it) over something I wrote on another thread ...which I forget , he said that he did not want to read my posts and was putting me on his "ignore list" . This is for information purposes only and by way of example ,not raking up old spats. Just to be CRYSTAL CLEAR on that point please .

I presume that it must also work on the PM side of things as well.

Try it on me for a day and see if it "blanks " me....I have never tried it.

The question I have is can you find out who is ignoring you..because you could save time not responding to their post in a thread .

Tudorp
12-20-2014, 06:23 AM
This might be a little off subject, but it does come up on threads all over the internet in forums. I belong to many forums of different interests, and when someone is called out for saying something that might not be so popular is, "Freedom of speech". One thing we all need to remember, is "freedom of speech & exppression" is an American thing. Not all countries or cultures recognize that in their constitution. When I served in the Air Force overseas, I would hear Americans try to impose their American "rights" there, and one thing they forgot was, they weren't in the United States there. They were guests in another country that may, or may not recognize the same rights we enjoy and practice here. That needs to be respected, period. Another thing, being a veteran, don't believe in "free" speech. Sure, the right is free, but you are not free from repercussions of that speech or expression. Just because you may have the right to an opinion, or the right to say it, the question should be, "SHOULD" you say it? Not always. An example would be, someone may have the freedom to think or even say that my wife is a <insert derogotory adjective here>. However, when you come into my home and feel the need to express that free speech. Ok, you have free speech, but you are bound to get your A$$ whooped for expressing that free speech in my home. You are not free of the repercussion of that speech. Free speech is a myth. When you are a guest of someone in their home, whether it be a real home or place, or virtual (forums), it is a private place owned by the creator of it, or home/property owner, and you do not have free speech there. When I am in a forum, I may or may not agree with something that is practiced there, but I also find it isn't my place to challenge that as a guest there. Free Speech is not free. It comes at a cost. The "right" came at a cost from our veterans, and it also comes at a cost to those that feel the need to practice that freedom via repercussions of what they say.

sukie
12-20-2014, 06:24 AM
I put somebody on ignore once. He was a horrible troll. Know what happened? I kept un-ignoring him because I had to see what outrageous thing he had said. He is still on ignore, but he got permanently banned.

Down Up Dick
12-20-2014, 06:31 AM
I really hate to say this, but I'm getting a little tired of "the Aloha Spirit" stuff. It's a truly nice idea and really should be followed, but I hate being nagged and nagged and having stuff rammed down my throat.

We are not Hawaiians; probably most of us are mainlanders. Many of us are not nicey, nicey people. We live in a country that mostly allows us to say what's on our minds. I guess I spent twenty one years in the Air Force to help keep it that way. I'm very careful not to swear or curse on the net to keep from offending any one, but I really like to say what's on my mind without being censored or told over and over to "be nice".

Lighten up people! We're not in Kindergarten anymore. People get angry during debates--get over it! :old:

hoosierhiver
12-20-2014, 06:37 AM

Did anybody read this aside from Coolkayaker? This thread was started when UU was just one year old. I'd say the first year was pretty clean, but after that we've always had a couple active trolls at any given time, so all the missing the ol' days is pretty much selective memory. The cool thing is I've always been able to count the trolls on one hand even when the member count soared. The only new-ish thing is the regular bitching that things aren't like they used to be (which doesn't help).

CeeJay
12-20-2014, 06:46 AM
Did anybody read this aside from Coolkayaker? This thread was started when UU was just one year old. I'd say the first year was pretty clean, but after that we've always had a couple active trolls at any given time, so all the missing the ol' days is pretty much selective memory. The cool thing is I've always been able to count the trolls on one hand even when the member count soared. The only new-ish thing is the regular bitching that things aren't like they used to be (which doesn't help).

Sorry off Topic --- but I just noticed your "slogan " next to your piccie.....is that by any chance from an unfortunate "X Factor / Got Talent" or similar clip from you Tube ? anj attempt at a Harry Nilsson / Mariah Carey(?) song.....sorry ..back On.;)

Down Up Dick
12-20-2014, 07:00 AM
Definition of a troll please. Someone who's not nice? Might just as well define snarky while we're at it. Probably some of us newbies might need it.

Down with trolls (?) and snarky (?) peeps! :old:

hoosierhiver
12-20-2014, 07:01 AM
Sorry off Topic --- but I just noticed your "slogan " next to your piccie.....is that by any chance from an unfortunate "X Factor / Got Talent" or similar clip from you Tube ? anj attempt at a Harry Nilsson / Mariah Carey(?) song.....sorry ..back On.;)

That's correct. Ken Lee!

buddhuu
12-20-2014, 07:02 AM
[...] Lighten up people! We're not in Kindergarten anymore. People get angry during debates--get over it! :old:
Nope. The people who get angry are the ones who need to get over it. Anger management and all that. A lack of self-control is not a positive personality trait.

We do not expect the majority of members to have to put up with a minority of angry, abusive "debaters". People who cannot hold discussions without losing their tempers are on the wrong forum.

GinnyT11
12-20-2014, 07:06 AM
Americans' constitutional "free speech" only means that the government can't silence you. In a public forum, saying whatever comes to mind--with whatever attitude you put on it--can lead to other people ignoring you, or choosing to stay away from thread conversations you're in. I try always to be encouraging and kind, and I am completely turned off by condescending sarcasm. It's not funny, and it's not fun to be around.

As for participation, I'm not posting as much. When I started in 2011, each morning when I hit "new posts," I'd get four pages of threads. Now it's maybe two, and many of the conversations have recycled (as others have said). I also have passed through UAS and have the instruments that make me happy, so I'm not shopping. I also have developed a coterie of UU friends that I am in regular email contact. I've been participating in Seasons challenges since July 2012 and it's helped me a lot, but I'm not getting any better at learning a song quickly and posting it, and it's nearly impossible to watch all the submissions, so I'm resting from it for a while.
Nevertheless, I lurk and I often start PM conversations with someone based on something in a thread.

I still think UU is the best, happiest resource for uke players and I'm grateful for it. And I salute the mods; I think they do a great,job.

Inksplosive AL
12-20-2014, 07:07 AM

I haven't read it. I wont bother really I'm not waxing nostalgic here. I was guilty of doing much the same on another site but for the opposite reasons. There I long for the sarcastic slam your weak thoughts to the ground and grind them to a pulp of the old guard.

I only stated such in a random thoughts temporary thread though, and only because a 6 post per 24 hour period was implemented.

~AL~

Down Up Dick
12-20-2014, 07:16 AM
Nope. The people who get angry are the ones who need to get over it. Anger management and all that. A lack of self-control is not a positive personality trait.

We do not expect the majority of members to have to put up with a minority of angry, abusive "debaters". People who cannot hold discussions without losing their tempers are on the wrong forum.

Well, I guess I'm outta step again--my bad. I'll just have to work on my "Aloha Spirit". Have a very nice Christmas and a friendly New Year, Everyone. :old:

bborzell
12-20-2014, 07:17 AM
I really hate to say this, but I'm getting a little tired of "the Aloha Spirit" stuff. It's a truly nice idea and really should be followed, but I hate being nagged and nagged and having stuff rammed down my throat.

We are not Hawaiians; probably most of us are mainlanders. Many of us are not nicey, nicey people. We live in a country that mostly allows us to say what's on our minds. I guess I spent twenty one years in the Air Force to help keep it that way. I'm very careful not to swear or curse on the net to keep from offending any one, but I really like to say what's on my mind without being censored or told over and over to "be nice".

Lighten up people! We're not in Kindergarten anymore. People get angry during debates--get over it! :old:

I wrote a paper in graduate school that was predicated on the notion that anger is not a feeling, but rather a strategy or manipulation designed to change behavior of others.

Pretty much all "feelings" can be attributed to reactions to events that are beyond our control. Sadness comes from a sense of loss. Fear from perception of impending doom. Love from a sense of uniquely rewarding affiliation. Joy from strong satisfaction with what is going on around you.

Strangely enough, none of these natural feelings are unique to humans. Both research and common observation have clearly demonstrated that nearly all but the simpler organisms demonstrate sadness, fear, joy and love. What those same animals don't demonstrate is anger (snarling tigers and grizzly bears are not angry, they are hungry). And, perhaps that is because anger requires a cognitive process where the behavior of others is evaluated and found to be unnacceptable; thereby triggering an over the top reaction that has as its primary reason for being; to get the other person to change their behavior. Just ask yourself if there was ever a time that you got angry and could not relate it to the unnacceptable behavior of others (or yourself as in hitting your finger while trying to drive a nail or chopping onions).

So, yes, some people get angry during debates, (though most do not.) But, in my view, that anger, when expressed, is is a choice and not a natural feeling. Attempts at manipulation rank pretty low on my scale of acceptable human behavior. There are a lot of things that people might do well to lighten up over, but giving in to manipulative outbursts is not one of them, in my view.

People who see a need to defend their right to use anger as a tactic are likely to see things differently from me. The "ignore" feature is here for a good reason.

Down Up Dick
12-20-2014, 07:35 AM
Good Lord, bborzell . . . good Lord. You must be a very, very nice person. :old:

CeeJay
12-20-2014, 07:48 AM
I wrote a paper in graduate school that was predicated on the notion that anger is not a feeling, but rather a strategy or manipulation designed to change behavior of others.

Pretty much all "feelings" can be attributed to reactions to events that are beyond our control. Sadness comes from a sense of loss. Fear from perception of impending doom. Love from a sense of uniquely rewarding affiliation. Joy from strong satisfaction with what is going on around you.

Strangely enough, none of these natural feelings are unique to humans. Both research and common observation have clearly demonstrated that nearly all but the simpler organisms demonstrate sadness, fear, joy and love. What those same animals don't demonstrate is anger (snarling tigers and grizzly bears are not angry, they are hungry). And, perhaps that is because anger requires a cognitive process where the behavior of others is evaluated and found to be unnacceptable; thereby triggering an over the top reaction that has as its primary reason for being; to get the other person to change their behavior. Just ask yourself if there was ever a time that you got angry and could not relate it to the unnacceptable behavior of others (or yourself as in hitting your finger while trying to drive a nail or chopping onions).

So, yes, some people get angry during debates, (though most do not.) But, in my view, that anger, when expressed, is is a choice and not a natural feeling. Attempts at manipulation rank pretty low on my scale of acceptable human behavior. There are a lot of things that people might do well to lighten up over, but giving in to manipulative outbursts is not one of them, in my view.

People who see a need to defend their right to use anger as a tactic are likely to see things differently from me. The "ignore" feature is here for a good reason.

I find my view to be opposite to yours entirely. Anger is perfectly natural and derives from the opposite to " Joy from strong satisfaction with what is going on around you."

Anger is not always a tactic , though it can be.

But on a forum it would be quite the opposite for some people who may lose a bit of control over their cognitive process as as the red mist descends.

I am put in mind of "bezerkers" who did use anger as a tactic ,but in a physical sense ...though it would be interesting to see what a vikingr beserker would make of a forum ...LOL

Provided that the anger does not descend into abusive invective and openly insulting language then a free and frank exchange should be possible and

allowed.

Sometimes it really does feel like having to tiptoe on egg shells and then you stare in amazement at some of the lofty and outrageous things that are written by other contributors.

Furthermore , it is often not "anger" that gets one into trouble but the quip or put down to someone else that is either taken too seriously to heart .....I mean at the end of the day these are just conversations.....

Teek
12-20-2014, 08:38 AM
It comes in handy from time to time but really, how hard is it to just ignore what someone's written if you don't like it? I mean - this is an internet forum, if we don't like it, we don't have to look. Easy peasy.

Because if someone is a belligerent ass and they trigger my shenpa, it makes me want to post a reply, and I prefer to refrain as much as possible now. If I can see the post I will have read part of it before I realize who it is. You're a reader, you probably read whole blocks of text in a few seconds too. I have around 10 people on my ignore, in fact I added another this week. I sort of hope his ban is permanent but I think it's taken more as a personal merit badge.

bborzell
12-20-2014, 09:03 AM
Good Lord, bborzell . . . good Lord. You must be a very, very nice person. :old:

Welcome to my ignore list.

WhenDogsSing
12-20-2014, 09:05 AM
I put somebody on ignore once. He was a horrible troll. Know what happened? I kept un-ignoring him because I had to see what outrageous thing he had said. He is still on ignore, but he got permanently banned.

Was that the guy about 3 or 4 years back who claimed to know it all and begged people to ask him any question they wanted...???

Inksplosive AL
12-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Man is all this talk of ignoring people very Aloha?

To me you get angry when you get hurt feelings. From my perspective its your weakness not mine should you feel the need to ignore or lose control of your emotions and get angry or hurt at things others say.

I do so tire of the Internet tough guy excuse or they must be angry like any can read emotion into text all of a sudden? The answer to the question a few days ago is Yes people do talk to other people in real life as they do here, worse even.

The difference is here being a member of a forum we put our "thoughts and ideas" on the Internet for others to see and react to days, weeks, years later. In real life if we disagree greatly we would likely just not bother with each other. As someone stated "why would you be in my living room?"

Many people have a problem detaching their "thoughts and ideas" from their physical self feeling any attack on a thought or idea they have is personal and only to try to make them look or feel stupid and they get angry. If my ideas or thoughts are attacked and they cannot survive then I had weak thoughts and ideas that deserved to die this only makes me grow. Its been a very longtime Ive allowed wasted emotion on a person whom I never met that didn't physically harm me.

The forum rules of don't be a jerk are so open to interpretation by the moderators. We are all different people me I'm an old school tattoo artist, since the late 80's I have dealt with many different types of people including but in no way limited to the criminal element. I grew up in and around Bridgeport CT. I would expect an older person from a quieter location to think at times I'm quite rough, rude or gruff. They might see me the aggressor and not see that I'm merely reacting to the situation at hand.

Hell in 1990 in Jasper TX I was pulled over (while walking) for not waving to a police officer while looking like I was "not from round here." (long hair and tattoos) In another county I also had a woman at a liquor store throw open the register and yell out that me and my friend can take anything we want. We asked if it was OK if we just shopped as we didn't know what we wanted and Jasper's a dry county it was an hours ride back. Recommended for a job by my friends uncle to only be called hoodlums by a guy who never roams further than Beaumont.

EDIT: Im so long winded but. With the cop in TX it was funny I made jokes about waving at a cop in my hometown getting me thrown in the car and taken for evaluation. We had a laugh. The lady at the liquor store seeing the look of shock on our faces then our laughing while we were asking if it is OK to shop made it funny. Later one night after learning he had been called a hoodlum my buddy was pretty down, jobs were tight in 1990 in Jasper TX. I made a joke about Porky (god was this man who owned a lumber yard HUGE) being dropped by magic into the middle of Father Panik Village in BPT CT and his possible reactions to being out of his element thrown into a real hoodlums realm. My buddy cheered up as we both used to do AAA towing in the area.

Not everyone has had the experience of visiting a very different region than the one they are used to. I could easily say get outside more but its more PC to say I suggest everyone try it.

EDIT: In the best words never really said: Can't we just all get along?

~AL~

Inksplosive AL
12-20-2014, 09:10 AM
Welcome to my ignore list.

We all seek attention in different ways.

~AL~

bborzell
12-20-2014, 09:15 AM
I find my view to be opposite to yours entirely. Anger is perfectly natural and derives from the opposite to " Joy from strong satisfaction with what is going on around you."

Anger is not always a tactic , though it can be.

But on a forum it would be quite the opposite for some people who may lose a bit of control over their cognitive process as as the red mist descends.

I am put in mind of "bezerkers" who did use anger as a tactic ,but in a physical sense ...though it would be interesting to see what a vikingr beserker would make of a forum ...LOL

Provided that the anger does not descend into abusive invective and openly insulting language then a free and frank exchange should be possible and

allowed.

Sometimes it really does feel like having to tiptoe on egg shells and then you stare in amazement at some of the lofty and outrageous things that are written by other contributors.

Furthermore , it is often not "anger" that gets one into trouble but the quip or put down to someone else that is either taken too seriously to heart .....I mean at the end of the day these are just conversations.....

Maintaining that anger is perfectly natural ignores the reality that most of our reactions to the world around us are learned. Some people learned early in life that anger is ineffective as a social interaction unless what one is looking for is to intimidate others. In that regard, anger can be effective. But, it is not natural. We are not born with the need to intimidate others. We all learn that and some of us choose to keep it in our bag of tricks. Others make every effort to limit inclinations to intimidate. Unfortunately, all it takes is a general persusal of daily headlines to realize the toll on human lives that is taken when people feel justified in acting out of the anger that they feel is natural and justified for them.

Down Up Dick
12-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Sometimes, when I'm bored, I go all the way back to the beginning of some of the threads to look for names that I know and there just aren't any. I wonder where all those people are now and if are they are still playing ukuleles.

I wrote a comment somewhere about the newbys who are buying expensive ukuleles, and, then, one never hears from them again. I wonder what they do with them if they don't learn to play them. Are they wall hangers now?

I was in another forum where people joined, asked where to find free music and then disappeared. No one ever conversed much, except for our group of old musicians who talked about whatever came into our minds. It was lots of fun for awhile, but it broke up. Ahhh well . . .

The old days are always beautiful and golden. I wonder why they didn't stay that way . . . :old:

CeeJay
12-20-2014, 09:42 AM
Maintaining that anger is perfectly natural ignores the reality that most of our reactions to the world around us are learned. Some people learned early in life that anger is ineffective as a social interaction unless what one is looking for is to intimidate others. In that regard, anger can be effective. But, it is not natural. We are not born with the need to intimidate others. We all learn that and some of us choose to keep it in our bag of tricks. Others make every effort to limit inclinations to intimidate. Unfortunately, all it takes is a general persusal of daily headlines to realize the toll on human lives that is taken when people feel justified in acting out of the anger that they feel is natural and justified for them.

I still totally and utterly and very calmly disagree with you . Anger is a natural emotion. You don't learn how to be angry ...you just become it ...

you do not learn to love,hate or any one of the other "feelings" that we have. Or perhaps I should say that we do not "conciously" learn them.

We do learn what triggers those responses and which are preferable and which are not so desirable. Give me a cake or a Pint of ale I will love you...kick my sandcastle over ..not so much.

Anger is something that can be controlled better by some and not so well by others. Whatever one does with the anger is a learned process , I will give you that ...however , what I maintain is that it is not anger , but assertiveness that causes the problems we do have .

You are asserting a proposition that I take an opposite stance to. Now we both have the right to that assertion , but there are contributors who will not accept that both sides have opinions which are valid .That's when it gets runny !!

But anyhoo this is supposed to be a uke forum not Social Studies Philosophy and Psychology 101 (what does that term 101 actually mean ..we don't use it in the UK?)

Dan Uke
12-20-2014, 09:48 AM
if you've been banned more than once on UU, then you don't get it. Most people leave but a few continue to come back. I like to push it on certain topics I strongly believe in but haven't been banned...YET! LOL

mm stan
12-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Aloha Nongdam,
Most of these new member trolls are confrontational and like to say they want discussion, which is just a guise for their bad behavior and flaunt their intelligence, um I mean wit, ..you will see them so easily, look for the long meanless threads and posts.... it really tarnishes the UU
there are some old time members who promote this type of behavior and go along and praise them....so sad to see, we who love UU have to see them ruin our beloved
forum....what is wrong with these people who just want to flaunt their wit and post blah blah blah yada yada yada threads with no actual useful content
I see low self esteem and self confidence and being anonymous behind the computer screen that gives them courage.
I used to like the posts where members actually ask questions because they want to know, .not just for discussion and to be more populary known
It was a pleasure to answer and help those, maybe many are not here for that simple reason, make sense?.... aside getting the same questions again and again? I'd would rather help those who ask the same questons over and over if they are sincere to know....get it
to all the trolls, get a life... or simply fade away from UU.... you think we dont know who you are or want you here? Can I say it any clearer

Down Up Dick
12-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Aloha and love to you, mm stan. I hope your Christmas is very, very nice, and your New Year the very friendliest. May your ukuleles bring forth all the music that you love best.

Keep being your nice, happy self. :old:

Toucan Mango
12-20-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm still here, I come in to read once in a while. Sometimes I log in to see a photo of a ukulele for sale. There is a few old timers I miss, Also I have not been here as much after MGN passed away, it seems like a piece of UU left with him.

bborzell
12-20-2014, 11:05 AM
I still totally and utterly and very calmly disagree with you . Anger is a natural emotion. You don't learn how to be angry ...you just become it ...

you do not learn to love,hate or any one of the other "feelings" that we have. Or perhaps I should say that we do not "conciously" learn them.

We do learn what triggers those responses and which are preferable and which are not so desirable. Give me a cake or a Pint of ale I will love you...kick my sandcastle over ..not so much.

Anger is something that can be controlled better by some and not so well by others. Whatever one does with the anger is a learned process , I will give you that ...however , what I maintain is that it is not anger , but assertiveness that causes the problems we do have .

You are asserting a proposition that I take an opposite stance to. Now we both have the right to that assertion , but there are contributors who will not accept that both sides have opinions which are valid .That's when it gets runny !!

But anyhoo this is supposed to be a uke forum not Social Studies Philosophy and Psychology 101 (what does that term 101 actually mean ..we don't use it in the UK?)

I didn't state or suggest that natural feelings are learned. I am talking about a pseudo feeling that many people seem to want to justify as being beyond their control. My point is quite simple. Anger is a reaction, as opposed to a feeling, to seeing, hearing or otherwise experiencing that things are not going the way you want them to. Given that the world is populated with many people who don't get angry under those circumstances but rather mobilize the resources within their control in order to correct their problems, it is just not accurate to suggest that they are being "unnatural" when they choose not to get angry.

I spent nearly 20 years as a therapist for many people who had killed others. To the last person their opening line was some variation of the premise that they killed out of anger. It wasn't often that "The devil made me do it", but frequently the main theme was that they acted the way most would have under the same circumstances. They came from a position that anger was natural and for many, that gave them cover for what they did. People always wonder why murderers frequently don't show remorse. Well, feeling justified for having acted out of a "natural" feeling has given many people both the impetus to act out as well as the basis for not accepting responsibility for what they did.

Yes, we have very different views on this subject. For a topic that relates to this thread only as it pertains to the fact that some people come on forums and act out toward others, some might see it as tangential. But, defending anger as natural serves only to give cover for bad behavior. There is a reason why there are anger management classes. And, the basic premise behind any successful anger management intervention is to develop the skills to not get angry in the first place. It's a choice to all but those who reserve the right to believe that getting angry is out of their control.

I'm going to go play my uke.

Rllink
12-20-2014, 11:48 AM
The only other forum I regularly visit is an airplane pilot's forum. It is toxic. I came here to learn about ukuleles. I like everyone here a lot. But I come from a world of meat eaters, both figuratively and literally. Thin skin people need not apply. That is how I grew up, and that is how I spent most of my adult live. I try to be better than that. I try very hard to not say anything that can be construed as offensive. I've deleted posts as soon as I've posted them because I thought there might be a possibility that someone would find offense in what I said, but more, that someone might just disagree with me. I've found here that disagreement is disagreeable for some. I consider myself a guest here. I don't want to wear out my welcome. But it isn't always easy coming from my world and trying to fit in to this world. Sometimes I am not sensitive enough to be sensitive enough. I just want to say, that the aloha spirit is always with me, even if it does not always make it to the top.

As as post script, I can promise you all, that no one here is ever going to say anything that will hurt my feelings, or that will make me angry. While I might not be the most sensitive soul, I seldom get angry. So feel free to speak your mind with me.

Down Up Dick
12-20-2014, 12:07 PM
I lost track of some very good friends from the past. I don't really know why. I guess when one's life experiences change we just drift away from old friends. It's too bad that we can't keep them all our lives and add more new friends, but we don't seem to do that. And the new friends aren't always the same.

I read many comments that UUers make about strummers who usta be friends "when the UU was good," and I guess it was very nice--all that "Aloha Spirit" and all. But it certainly doesn't make us newbies feel very welcome. And that's not very "Aloha" either. Ahhh, well . . .

Some of the people who are chastising us for not having the "Aloha Spirit" are really puttin' it to those of us who don't comment the way they think we should. Is censorship part of the Aloha Spirit? Aren't Hawaiians part of America? We mainlanders have old beliefs too, and though, freedom is almost wiped out, some of us still believe in it. Ahhh, well . . .

I guess human nature must be kept in check at all times as bborzell and buddhuu say. Ahhh,well . . . :old:

CeeJay
12-20-2014, 01:31 PM
I didn't state or suggest that natural feelings are learned. I am talking about a pseudo feeling that many people seem to want to justify as being beyond their control. My point is quite simple. Anger is a reaction, as opposed to a feeling, to seeing, hearing or otherwise experiencing that things are not going the way you want them to. Given that the world is populated with many people who don't get angry under those circumstances but rather mobilize the resources within their control in order to correct their problems, it is just not accurate to suggest that they are being "unnatural" when they choose not to get angry.

I spent nearly 20 years as a therapist for many people who had killed others. To the last person their opening line was some variation of the premise that they killed out of anger. It wasn't often that "The devil made me do it", but frequently the main theme was that they acted the way most would have under the same circumstances. They came from a position that anger was natural and for many, that gave them cover for what they did. People always wonder why murderers frequently don't show remorse. Well, feeling justified for having acted out of a "natural" feeling has given many people both the impetus to act out as well as the basis for not accepting responsibility for what they did.

Yes, we have very different views on this subject. For a topic that relates to this thread only as it pertains to the fact that some people come on forums and act out toward others, some might see it as tangential. But, defending anger as natural serves only to give cover for bad behavior. There is a reason why there are anger management classes. And, the basic premise behind any successful anger management intervention is to develop the skills to not get angry in the first place. It's a choice to all but those who reserve the right to believe that getting angry is out of their control.

I'm going to go play my uke.

Umm, I'm not defending anger ..or defending getting angry..I am just saying that it is a natural feeling ...however undesirable.
If getting angry is not a natural procedure , then why do we need lessons in how to control it for those to whom it is difficult ? Rhetorical.

Twenty years as a therapist to murderers eh. I'll see your twenty and raise you another 12 .

Prison Officer and Senior Officer two of the most maximum security establishments in the UK. And we interact and mentor and guide as well as supervise and police our charges. Not like a lot of US establishments were it is very hands off. So,you see , you aren't the only kid with big toys.

And now in deference to mmstan and the others ,and sincerely and genuinely this part of the thread for me is finished and like you I shall go and play some uke.

What is your preference? Oh I note you are a Tenor man ...I prefer the
Soprano ,Concert sizes myself and the banjo uke.....I will hazard a bet that you are more a finger - picker . I try that on the Concert . Bit of light jazz or Russian tunes ..among others.

dkcrown
12-20-2014, 04:37 PM
To get back to the OP's original question as to why so many of the "old timers" have cycled out of the UU, the course that this thread has taken should answer the question.

CeeJay
12-20-2014, 04:45 PM
To get back to the OP's original question as to why so many of the "old timers" have cycled out of the UU, the course that this thread has taken should answer the question.

I know Greenie44, he'll understand..but threads drift like a conversation when they get so long ...Is that a bad thing ? I mean a conversation has many

twists and turns and convolutions.

I understand your point though DKCrown, and you have adjusted the thread.

Politely,pleasantly and with aplomb.:D

buddhuu
12-21-2014, 01:38 AM
I think this is true to an extent. There does seem to be a tendency for some posters to want to justify anger rather than to accept that UU might not be the most appropriate place to display too much of it. But, as CeeJay says, conversations meander a bit and, although the opinions in this thread differ, the actual discussion has been conducted pretty well. A bit of sarcasm, but nothing to call the cops about. As opinions and feelings are pretty entrenched, I think this just illustrates that it is possible to exchange conflicting views in a reasonable manner, thus making failure to do so all the more unnecessary.

At the end of the day, people will conduct themselves as they choose. Those whose conduct is compatible with UU rules will remain and those whose conduct is incompatible will depart. As for the leeway that the mods have with the Golden Rule, "Don't be a Jerk", well that's a good thing because it allows for leniency as well as rigour. Indeed, if it weren't for our tendency to exercise restraint there would be more jerks banned than there have been. People are usually given quite a lot of chances to chill out before being shown the door.

coolkayaker1
12-21-2014, 03:23 AM
As for participation, I'm not posting as much. When I started in 2011, each morning when I hit "new posts," I'd get four pages of threads. Now it's maybe two, and many of the conversations have recycled (as others have said). I also have passed through UAS and have the instruments that make me happy, so I'm not shopping.

I'm at the same point as Ginny. Yes, Ginny.

Pukulele Pete
12-21-2014, 04:34 AM
Now that I know how to : change strings , adjust action,fix cracks , do simple repairs , what is left ? I've been lurking here for years and have learned alot but I guess there is a limit to the info that interests me. I'm no troll but lately the threads that interest me the most are the ones where everyone is arguing , insulting each other , making fools of themselves , those are the threads
that I read the most now. It would be nice if everything would be " Aloha Spirit " but it wouldnt be interesting. So many times I've posted and then thought " Crap , I shouldnt have said that,
it is not what I meant" . Then again when I post something genius ( as I think I always do ) , and get no response I tell myself to stop posting , I'm just making a fool of myself like I am now.

Down Up Dick
12-21-2014, 05:04 AM
I've been thinking about some of the stuff I posted yesterday, and I have a slight apology. Though I believe what I said, I suppose I am a guest on this forum and should abide by the rules. Even though I don't care much for them.

Lots of posts were about how nice and friendly it was in the "good ol' days", but there were a lot about how boring and stale they are now. Too bad all the posts about strings and new ukuleles, etc. can't be gathered into one place for the newbies to read. I am bored with them too, but I do enjoy the conversations (debates?) about other aspects of ukuleleing.

Anyway, I will try to police myself a bit more and mebbe be a little less combative in the future even though it will probably make the forum less interesting for me.

Maybe posting more on the Groups would a good idea . . . :old:

SteveZ
12-21-2014, 05:16 AM
Having read through the dozen-plus pages, one fact jumps out. People come, people go. It happens. Interests change.

I've come and gone from forums dealing with politics, motorcycling, firearms, guitars, travel and a couple other themes that I just can't remember anymore. Transitioning from one theme to another occurs as we become interested in other things, want to learn more about the new thing and that takes up the majority of "forum time" that we allocate each day/week/month. If a forum becomes so narrowly (real or perceived) themed that any expansion from the center theme is not considered proper, folk then find another forum less restrictive and the new forum eventually gets the lion's share of forum time. It happens a lot on musical instrument forums, which is why the more popular ones have a center theme, but includes sub-forums dealing with similar/related instruments, genres, playing styles and the like.

I visit six musical instrument forums, but the percentage of time on each is not equal. One forums get probably 50% or better of of my forum time, mainly because its sub-forums get into related areas I find interesting. The irony is that the themed instrument is the one I play the least these days, but the sub-forums on genres I enjoy, another related instrument and repair/building are really informative and sharing.

The ukulele is cool, but it's more of a family of instruments which folk play in a variety of genres. UU is quite interesting, but the focus seems generic, and if a person wants more specificity on genres, relation to other instruments, etc., then checking for forums with that specificity happens. Example - if one plays a lot of banjolele, the probability that the person will visit, find enjoyable and later spend more time on a banjo forum should not be surprising. Tenor and baritone ukulele players finding tenor guitar a natural interest will visit tenor guitar forums. The end result is time away from UU, and for some that time away becomes "gone" because time is a finite resource.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy UU, but it doesn't fill my musical forum bucket because my interests include other four-stringed instruments and genres beyond those seen as "traditional" ukulele-centric.

Eventually, some of the "gone" may return. That will depend if what they seek for forum time is available on UU, or won't return if someplace else provides not only what UU does but more.

greenie44
12-21-2014, 05:58 AM
Whoa - what hath this thread wrought? I just started it to see if it was a normal natural thing for people to come and go on the forums, and it has taken quite a few twists and turns, including some of the more insightful posts I have ever read on UU from bborzell. Thank you all.

But I felt like I had to weigh in on the overall topic of the Aloha spirit, and keeping it going here. I have only been here for a couple of years, so I can't think about the good old days. I can say that I was, and remain. pleasantly surprised by the openness of folks on this particular board to all kinds of music. I don't play any real Hawaiian music, but still love the ukulele, and it's amazing to me that I can post a Tom Verlaine song with multiple layers as a Seasons entry and have more than a few people recognize it and like the attempt.

I do think it is possible to have the Aloha spirit on the board, and make it even more present. I recently joined a new company, an industry analyst firm, the absolute leader in the field. Analysts are essentially paid to have opinions, and sharp opinions, if well founded, are also approved. This firm is full of analysts, and they are not only opinionated, but the smartest group of folks I have ever worked with, by a long margin. And the corporate culture is, well, amazing. Everyone is open, solicitous of others, kind, respectful and honestly interested in what others think. This has been 100% true in my time there. I am sure that some of those attitudes may have been less than heartfelt, on occasion, but they are universal. It's the corporate culture.

We could ALL do a better job of making this great place even better. My three step plan -

1 - Take a breath before you post. Alo-HA! Turn down the heat. Go for a walk. Count to 10. Count off four and play a song or two. Whether anger is learned or not, it definitely has a physical component, and simply waiting a bit can turn down the volume. It's tempting and frequently satisfying to hurl yourself into battle, but the great advantage of forums is that no one hears what you say to your monitor - they only see what you type. If your anger is justified, you can still express it, but in a better way if you aren't so pissed off.

2 - Spread Aloha actively. On other social sites, I have been struck how some political mentions seem to turn people into crouching, cornered animals, lashing out anyone who dares come near. It sucks to be the recipient of such bile, but it probably sucks even more to be in a place where you feel that that type of reaction is your only response. Instead of returning in kind, see if you can help to soothe, either in a post or a PM. I will admit that I don't do much of this, but we all should. You can multiply Aloha, rather than subtract - a much better mathematical action.

3 - There is always the option of ignoring. I only used the ignore list once, and this was because the particular poster not only seemed to have nothing worthwhile to say, but said it aggressively and, worst of all, insisted on having enormous images in their signature, so it would take loads of scrolling just to look at a thread they engaged in. Others are certainly on my personal ignore list, but that just means I scroll by them, the old fashioned way.

Thanks to all for taking this thread places I never imagined. You all are one interesting group, I tell you!

And, just for the record, this site has not only increased my appreciation of the uke as well as my playing time, but has resulted in at least half a dozen friendships that I think will last beyond any direct uke connection.

Down Up Dick
12-21-2014, 06:27 AM
It is to your credit to be so nice and easy going and in control. You must be a very happy person.

Have a nice Christmas and a friendly New Year. :old:

Dan Uke
12-21-2014, 06:41 AM
One topic I never get tired of is NUD!!! I love to read about the excitement the new owner has

DownUpDave
12-21-2014, 06:59 AM
One topic I never get tired of is NUD!!! I love to read about the excitement the new owner has

Now we are talking. I stayed away from this thread because it had all been said. But what nongdam said was pure genius. If more people would buy more ukuleles and post more NUDs with more pictures we would not have the problem of same old, same old.

So get with the program and start buying............just saying:cheers:

Down Up Dick
12-21-2014, 07:05 AM
Hi, Bro! In April, I gotta wait 'til April. Gotta spread 'em out. :old:

CeeJay
12-21-2014, 08:34 AM

Haha ...PS Thanks for the tab ..This guy is what this place is all about ..he has a tab for a song and if you ask he'll e-mail you a copy ..."Cant Take My Eyes Off Of You " as by K Fuchigami... cool stuff...

NUD for me will be 25th .....looking forward ....

flailingfingers
12-21-2014, 12:11 PM
Reading the posts I was reminded of something: when I rode motorcycles I was on a couple of motorcycle forums, and the same for guitars, guns, kites (yes kites), and a new car. I learned something from every forum. I saved some money in many cases. I usually learned of modifications/ accessories that made the item(s) better. I bought and sold stuff. I had fun. I no longer visit those forums because I: a. no longer have the stuff b. learned what I needed to know c. just lost interest in the forum.
I suppose I am following the same journey on the UU forum. I find I now spend more time on the "Uke tricks" etc sites than the "Uke Talk" because my interests have become more specific. I don't envision leaving the site altogether since music has such a huge sweep of possibility and the uke in particular has become an essential part of my life. (And it doesn't crash and break my ankle as did the motorcycle even when I play it fast) Gotta' admit though that some of the wilder threads hold me like a bad soap opera. I get hooked in spite of myself and actually that's fun too. Go figure.

Nickie
12-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Kudos to all you peacemakers here. I love intelligent, kind people. And I love ukulele people.
May I say that UU is owned by those who moderate it and pay for it. The rest of us are guests, and we shape it too.
I also want to tell you all my Motto....
"it's okay to get pissed, but it's NOT okay to stay pissed"
I don't know about other people, but these days, Americans seem too thin skinned, too ready to find insult or offense. Too ready to Blame, too ready to fight.
Sadly, there was just a pissing contest between two people at my church. For NO damned reason. There is no place that anger cannot find, if we allow it.
Anger is a useless emotion, it comes out of fear. And fear is the symptom of a perception of a lack of Love. Fear is an attempt of the ego to control. Love is the lack of the desire to control. If we can remember to love, we won't have any ugliness here. There is no lack of Love in the universe.
The ukulele is a beautiful, wonderful, healing instrument. Like others here, I suggest that if you are angry, go play your uke a little before you post. Or if you can't, do some deep, cleansing breathing.
One person here became angry with me, and I'm not sure why, but she put me on ignore, and told me, in a very angry tone. I put her on ignore, so as not to be hurt.
She knows who she is, and I am going to take her off ignore, because I might learn something from her. So what if she doesn't like me, I don't have to suffer for it. If she continues to ignore me, she might miss something I say that might be worth her knowing. That's her loss. It's none of my business who doen'st like me, they are such a small minority I don't care.
I will not take any barbs or slurs here toward me personally any more. I WILL take compliments and kind remarks personally.
I know it's been stated many times, but let's start now, this Christmas season, to be kind to each other. If your'e pissed, try to hash it out as though you're in the room with the other person, looking for peace.
Remember to love. Ukulele people have an edge....it's easier for us to be happy!
Sorry if I sounded to preachy....

coolkayaker1
12-21-2014, 02:13 PM
I don't know about other people, but these days, Americans seem too thin skinned, too ready to find insult or offense. Too ready to Blame, too ready to fight.
Sadly, there was just a pissing contest between two people at my church. For NO damned reason.

(A) I don't know why you're picking on poor, defenseless Americans. Why single out a particular group?

(B) One can expect that behavior of church people. Church people are like that.

:o (kidding, Nickie)

Nickie
12-21-2014, 02:18 PM
(A) I don't know why you're picking on poor, defenseless Americans. Why single out a particular group?

(B) One can expect that behavior of church people. Church people are like that.

:o (kidding, Nickie)

Well, like I stated, I really don't know how people in other countries behave toward one another. I've never been to a foriegn country, excpet for shopping forays into Mexico, The Bahamas, and Bermuda (which I don;t do anymore)

flailingfingers
12-21-2014, 02:19 PM
Hey Nickie,
Your profile says you have an interest in "comedy gardening". Now that's worth a thread!

Nickie
12-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Yes, I sow seeds by telling jokes and saying quippy one liners. Then I harvest the laughter.

flailingfingers
12-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Yes, I sow seeds by telling jokes and saying quippy one liners. Then I harvest the laughter.

You can't beat that. The talent on the Forum always amazes.

CeeJay
12-21-2014, 02:28 PM

Nice one ...oh yurst, me owd china*, very nice one.

(*oh yes me old mate)

Down Up Dick
12-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Well, I'm glad to see that the thread is loosening up a bit. Humor is like a salve; it smooths out bumps and bruises. And yes, some here are very thin skinned. This ain't heart surgery.

Let the good times roll! :old:

lovedcfc
12-25-2014, 03:43 AM
Idk if this discussion is over yet but I'd just like to say that this is my first post since I've joined in 2009. I have made youtube videos up until 2011 and then pretty much ignored ukulele for 3 years. Recently this month I picked it up again and I'm yet again obsessed. My reasons for having such a long hiatus are many...
(1) school getting in the way
(2) lost motivation because I reached a learning plateau
(3) less of a community around me to motivate me to play
(4) less encouragement and feedback from non-ukulele-playing friends
(5) bouts of depression
(6) pure laziness - to learn or record/upload new songs
(7) no new songs I feel like playing or learning.
(8) my musical taste changing from pop songs to indie songs as I grew from my teens to my 20s.
The list is endless! But all that really matters is that I am back now and will continue to play uke :D

Debby
12-25-2014, 05:16 AM
Kudos to the folks who manage to keep a cheerful demeanor all the time. I am not as cheerful as I use to be. But I do have self control...especially when it involves typing. Sometimes verbally I'm not so well behaved. Lol

I would also like to add that sometimes I wish there was a little more offered in the forums, like maybe discussions on other interests. I guess that would be in the non-uke section. Maybe we could share about our pets, gardening or art (just examples). I assume maybe that is what is maybe discussed in the private forum for paid members... I dunno. Just some food for thought.

coolkayaker1
12-25-2014, 06:01 AM
For those familiar with Deach, he did just post a new Xmas song on his Utube channel. As did Seeso, a truly great one.

philpot
12-25-2014, 06:27 AM
Idk if this discussion is over yet but I'd just like to say that this is my first post since I've joined in 2009. I have made youtube videos up until 2011 and then pretty much ignored ukulele for 3 years. Recently this month I picked it up again and I'm yet again obsessed. My reasons for having such a long hiatus are many...
(1) school getting in the way
(2) lost motivation because I reached a learning plateau
(3) less of a community around me to motivate me to play
(4) less encouragement and feedback from non-ukulele-playing friends
(5) bouts of depression
(6) pure laziness - to learn or record/upload new songs
(7) no new songs I feel like playing or learning.
(8) my musical taste changing from pop songs to indie songs as I grew from my teens to my 20s.
The list is endless! But all that really matters is that I am back now and will continue to play uke :D
As someone who is about your age and shares interest in indie music, if you haven't heard them, check out The Last Bison. Classically-influence Folk Rock that's just good for the soul. Their songs are super fun to play and arrange, too. You just have to keep finding things to get yourself excited about uke, that's the key. For me, it was doing jam sessions with all of my musical friends at school. That pushed me past my comfort zone and made me want to learn more. Keep on keeping on, bro :) it's good to have you on UU.

lovedcfc
12-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Aw thanks but I'm a girl :P I'm still open to be called bro. haha. I will definitely check out The Last Bison. It's good that you keep your motivation up throughout the years and glad to meet someone my age group on here as well :D

philpot
12-25-2014, 05:07 PM
Aw thanks but I'm a girl :P I'm still open to be called bro. haha. I will definitely check out The Last Bison. It's good that you keep your motivation up throughout the years and glad to meet someone my age group on here as well :D

Excuse the inappropriate pronoun xD I use it universally, but that's my bad. I should be more careful on the internet ;)

Inksplosive AL
12-25-2014, 09:32 PM
I assume maybe that is what is maybe discussed in the private forum for paid members... I dunno. Just some food for thought.

Lol the hidden is always better but I will share and can assure you the grass on that side of the fence is dead and brown. I've been deconstructing the word aloha with interesting results. As expected my utopia is only that its my vision, but I'm not the one forcing aloha on anyone. Just the AL! :)

~peace~

Teek
12-27-2014, 10:34 AM
Staying off the forum and just making use of the UU+ classes is my new years resolution for 2015.

Big Bob
12-27-2014, 11:16 AM
Well folks I must have been having a seniors moment.I could not remember my password the past few days so I was unable to log on to UU.Yes I am still around and still plucking away on my 3 ukuleles .Not really getting any better at it but let me tell you,when I purchased my first ukulele on our first trip to Hawaii in October 2004 it was the best investment I ever did.After 5 trips over and the purchase of my 2 Kanilea ukuleles these instruments have given me thousands of hours of fun relaxing moments.And this forum answered all my beginners questions .I have no wheres else to turn to when I have questions .So thank you to everyone involved with this forum.

philpot
12-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Staying off the forum and just making use of the UU+ classes is my new years resolution for 2015.

That's a sad resolution! But if it helps your playing, so be it ;)

Dan Uke
12-27-2014, 04:10 PM

just peruse in stealth mode

deach
01-05-2015, 12:35 PM
Hi, I'm new here.

kvehe
01-05-2015, 12:39 PM
OMG, it's the famous deach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...and it's post # 6666!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mm stan
01-05-2015, 12:40 PM
Welcome back old timer.... :)
Lookie at your post number...oh dear :)

ScooterD35
01-05-2015, 01:55 PM

This is one of my favorite topics as well.

I'm much to lazy to cycle anywhere. I'm more of an "ass-on-couch-with-ukulele-in-lap" kind of guy. Don't get me wrong though, I get plenty of exercise jumping to conclusions, pushing my luck, throwing my weight around and running off at the mouth.

Seriously though, I'm always baffled when folks get angry and nasty over anything ukulele. I mean, it's easily the happiest instrument in the world, there are an endless array of styles, shapes, sizes, and sounds, and nobody has to own or play anything they don't want to. (In a parallel universe, I hang out on a Godzilla page on FB where some people can't seem to refrain from using profanity and personal attacks. It's a group dedicated to a shared love of guys in rubber suits stomping on model cities, for Pete's sake!)

So... rather than cycling in or out, I'm pretty content to wander aimlessly around mumbling and singing to myself, occasionally chiming in on something I have actual experience with or plugging our little NJ ukefest.

I like it here. I once stopped into another uke forum, but people seemed pretty grumpy. Someone was actually dissing our festival...because we had James Hill there. Go figure.

If you folks will continue to have me, I'd like to stick around!

Peace,

Scooter

Nickie
01-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Love the 6666! Scooter, I would LOVE to have James Hill at our fest. He's my fave. He's coming to East Florida, and I wanna go see him. It's pretty pricey though, he's in a uke fest over there. But I have no idea when he'd be in florida again. I can't even imagine a workshop with him! Wow!

Lalz
01-05-2015, 03:08 PM
I haven't been very active on the forum in the past couple of years due to a heavy work load and a wrist fracture, but now that I'm recovered I still play the uke every day. When available time is limited, I tend to prefer playing than talking about playing ;) I'd NEVER stop playing.

Skinny Money McGee
01-05-2015, 05:44 PM
I haven't posted in quite some time either, but lurk every now and then. Mostly because of the trolls, one particular one from Nu Joysey...

I visit a forum that has no rules at all. You don't have to be nice, you get get as pissed as you want, can use foul language etc... nobody gets banned for anything... Funny thing is, it's one of the most civil forums I've ever seen. The Keyboard Commandos don't last long because they know they won't get a rise out of anyone.
I guess it's kind of like, 9-11 wouldn't have happened had they issued a Louisville Slugger baseball bat to everyone on the airplane.

Anyway, thinned the Uke heard down to my two favorite Kamaka's, Style 1 Martin, and a George Banjo uke, and still play most every day.

Safe 2015 to everyone! Cheers!

Now going off the air...

Rock-A-Hula
01-06-2015, 08:08 AM
Just stopping by to say Hello deach! :cool: