WHOOPS! Oh, the humanity!

L'Ukes Lutherie

Reaction score
broken blondie  - compressed.jpg

I had just taken "Blondie" out of my work-bag, still in its case, and set it on the floor (never put an instrument on the floor, you idiot). I was about to sit down when someone came to the door. As I stood from my half-sit, I lost my balance, missed my step, and... crunch. I almost couldn't bear to open the case.

This was my personal player. Such sweet tone. For a year and a half I've carried it everywhere, to and from and in New York City almost every day without a scratch, and now I've squashed it like a grape.

Fortunately (Ha! Good one.) the damage is limited to the soundboard, but I think a new top is the only solution. That and a new name. If the patient survives the operation with that sweet sound restored, I think I'll start calling her "The Phoenix".

Yes, it can be repaired, and money is no object (because I never charge myself) so I think it's worth it. But this is not a vintage instrument; I built it in the summer of 2013, so provenance or authenticity are of no consequence, and even if they were I built it. How's that for provenance and authenticity?

My thought is that it would end up being a lot more work to repair rather than replace the top, and in the end a new uncompromised soundboard will sound better than a compromised and repaired one, all other things being equal.

I'm just bummed because I've got new builds to start, but I know myself. If I don't fix it now it will just sit on the bench gathering dust, and might never get fixed. I've got plenty of ukes but this was the one I really liked to play, so now I've got to go fix it or find a new best friend. Bummer....

Been there. Done that. The crunching noise is enough to make a person want to puke. Bummer. Sorry... My uke was even worse than that and awaits getting a new top. Still waiting... I'll get around to it eventually. Meanwhile... new projects!

Thanks for the commiseration. Remarkably it stayed pretty much in tune, and is still playable... sounds like doo-doo, though. Except strangely now the E string (and only the E strung) is exhibiting ridiculously long sustain. Weird, right?

Yup. That would be the way to do it, if I decide to save the soundboard. But what to call it? Perimeter Kashi bracing? By the way, they ain't just cracks. The top is straight-up broke into three pieces: left, right, and center. The lining is the only thing holding them on. Still, it could be done....

Which begs the question: To refinish, or not to refinish?

"Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever." Evel Knievel

Just requires a bit of skill. . . .

. . . sadly I can't take any credit, however much I wished.

WOW. Nice work. My hat's off to wherever the credit is due.

Thanks (he said with a wink). No pressure.... Why do I suddenly feel like I'm hosting a dinner party and Martha Stewart just walked in the door?

That was a good one. I actually laughed out loud (not very loud, but still...).

Now, much to my wife's chagrin, I'm contemplating a "best of both worlds" approach. Salvage -or should I say re-salvage (it all came out of someone's garbage in the first place)- the useable bits from "Blondie", which would be basically everything but the body, and incorporate those bits into a new uke. I've been tinkering in my head with a minimally-braced domed top design (think macaferri but looser and freer), but have hesitated to start an experimental scratch-build because of time constraints, and the high failure rate of my experiments. But if all the heavy lifting were already done.... Hmm... Do I hear a knock? Is that opportunity?

Top Bottom