How to properly strum a ukulele??

merrit

Reaction score
Hey, so for a whilke I've been wondering how you properly strum a ukulele like a hawaiin/expert. I used to strum with my thumb, up and down. Then, I started bringing my thumb down and my index finger up. However I can't seem to get a good sound. Any ideas?

Hello merrit. Welcome to UU. I'm a tyro at strumming too. Probably not the best to give advice. First as you strum keep a steady down up rhythm. Make sure you understand what the time signature of the piece is. Start counting 4/4 is 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &.

I have great difficulty strumming with my thumb. I must be doing something wrong. I try to strum with all my digits at different times to see what does and doesn't work. I like using my middle finger to strum with when I am not attempting a specific strum. The middle finger is strongest and potentially the most accurate.

Pay some attention to what your wrist is doing. If its not working try using your wrist differently.

You want to strum like a Hawaiian expert? At a guess I'd say move to Hawaii, Find a nice sugar daddy/mama to support you and practice 6 hours a day for a year. Repeat every year til you get it right.

Hey, so for a whilke I've been wondering how you properly strum a ukulele like a hawaiin/expert. I used to strum with my thumb, up and down. Then, I started bringing my thumb down and my index finger up. However I can't seem to get a good sound. Any ideas?

I am by no means an expert. I'm still a newbie to the uke. I tend to strum with my middle and ring fingers. Kind of like an open and close motion. I find that when I strum with my thumb only, then there is nothing left of my hand to chunk with. Sometimes I may use index finger, and I can still chunk. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

You want to strum like a Hawaiian expert? At a guess I'd say move to Hawaii, Find a nice sugar daddy/mama to support you and practice 6 hours a day for a year. Repeat every year til you get it right.

:rofl:How's that fer "Ukulele Advice of the Year" Award! :biglaugh:

Can only speak for myself and I am no expert in music. I went to only one concert of two bands and all the uke players were using a variety of strums, but relied heavily on thumb down strums and clawhammer technique with a picking with the thumb for a bass note followed by a strum. Both bands were playing Jazz age standards and not hawaiian style FWIW. The ones I see on youtube use lots of flamenco stuff too(Jake Shimabukuro, Derrick Sebastian to name a couple.)

I recommend lots of youtube staring of artists that play the style you desire.

If you check out most you tube instructionals plus right here at UU+ the vast majority recommend using your index finger. You strum down hitting your nail and strum up making contact with the flesh pad. I attend 3 different regularly held uke jams, all three leaders teach that technique and two of them are music teachers. Check out uke minutes right here with Aldrine. Lots of other styles as well thismone just seems to be a fundamental

Last edited:

Too funny! We need a thumbs up button for that!

Stu Fuchs also has some good instructional vids online, too. If I remember right, his Flamenco and chunking tutorials cover basic strumming as well.

Kimo Hussey has a number of wonderful videos that cover Hawaiian strumming techniques. http://kimohussey.com/category/blog/
Aldrine has some Uke Mintues about that too.
But you want to see some real Hawaiian strumming?
Check this out!

Kuana Torres Kahele playing Lepe Ula Ula.

you are going to see strumming techniques "all over the place." Many folks just fall into what's comfortable. I tend to use the "standard" of thumb and forefinger. Want to see lots of strumming demos, go to YouTube and search ukulele, how to strum. Many online sites teach strumming techniques. I've seen professional ukulele recording artists use mostly their thumb, some more traditional. Stay open to experimenting and finding what works for you.

I slowed down the video (using the gear tool) and also noticed how often Kauna used his thumb to make chords.

I slowed down the video (using the gear tool) and also noticed how often Kauna used his thumb to make chords.

How often was it? I don't know how to slow it down from my phone.

Alright thanks for the help! This is my first post on UU and I definitely got a lot of attention and support! Appreciate it.

Try viewing it on a computer. The gear will be in the lower right of the screen.

I will. I haven't turned my computer on much lately. Maybe tomorrow.

This whole thread has me critiquing my own strumming. I'd like to improve. On guitar I can do fingerpicking real well and I struggle with it on the uke. Always reaching for strings that aren't there. Strumming doesn't feel as odd.

I'm just spitballing here, but it seems to me that if you want to strum like a "real expert" then you should learn as many strumming patterns and techniques as possible. I gave up on that notion long ago... I rather prefer to learn strums I will actually use.

I had been playing about 6 weeks when I went to my first group. The very first night I was there I was told by the group leader that I REALLY needed to learn how to chunk, because "chunking is the bread and butter of ukulele". I remember this phrase exactly, because in all the time I've been in that group, about 18 months, we have not done a single song that's had a single chunk in it.

If you want to play Hawaiian music on the ukulele, then by all means study Hawaiian experts. If you want to play like George Formby, study him. Regardless, I'd suggest looking at some of the videos here on UU and learning the strumming techniques you think you will actually use.

well, tell ya what, i shoot ya 4 whilkes if you teach me the method.

I'm still learning. All I know is that I get the best sound using my index finger nail, but it depends on what I am playing how I do it. I tend not to strum with my thumb as I find it difficult to get a sweet sound that way.

Top Bottom