Dampen a boomy nylon low g string?

ukemunga

Reaction score
I really like the sound of the Worth Brown medium strings with unwound low g that I put on my Kala concert. But the g is pretty "boomy" in relation to the others. Is there a simple way to tone it down to balance things out?

Something stupid like a sliver of paper towel under the string in the saddle? Or...

Thanks for any tips.
Fred

I had the same problem. Some strings brands are less boomy in the low G but I never completely resolved the problem by changing strings. Trimming my thumbnail helped for fingerstyle. For strumming, I adjusted my stroke to favor the other three strings, only lightly brushing the G. I'm interested in other solutions, too...

I really like the sound of the Worth Brown medium strings with unwound low g that I put on my Kala concert. But the g is pretty "boomy" in relation to the others. Is there a simple way to tone it down to balance things out?

Something stupid like a sliver of paper towel under the string in the saddle? Or...

Thanks for any tips.
Fred

My solution: Replace the g-string with a Fremont Soloist.

Doesn't the "boominess" of the uke owe more to the resonance of the body? If the resonance of the body is at or around g to low g, and your lowest note is now low g, it would seem like a bad fit sonically? I know strings can help or hurt any particular situation, but the uke can only do so much.

Doesn't the "boominess" of the uke owe more to the resonance of the body? If the resonance of the body is at or around g to low g, and your lowest note is now low g, it would seem like a bad fit sonically? I know strings can help or hurt any particular situation, but the uke can only do so much.

To my ear, all non-wound low G strings sound boomy, no matter what uke or what brand I've tried. Just my opinion but in the past, I did a lot of experimenting and ended up using wound guitar strings for low G because everything else sounded awful to me. Then Fremont came out with the Soloist and - no more experimenting necessary, it's "the one" for me.

I had the same problem. Some strings brands are less boomy in the low G but I never completely resolved the problem by changing strings. Trimming my thumbnail helped for fingerstyle. For strumming, I adjusted my stroke to favor the other three strings, only lightly brushing the G. I'm interested in other solutions, too...

I agree with everything written here, and even then, I find the low-G booming. I tried the low G Southcoasts (the ones Daniel did a nice review on), still booming to my ear (when plucked open; not when fretted).

Let us know on this thread please, Ukemunga, if the Fremont Soloist cured the boom for you.

The Fremont Soloist is a very good string. Here are a couple of additional choices for a wound low G:

Savarez Corum 540R - Beau Hannam offers this or the Fremont Soloist for low G on his ukuleles

D'Addadrio nyl026w - Mya Moe uses this string. This is the one I use with Worth clear treble strings, and I'm happy with the blend.

There is no "perfect" choice. The non-wound low G strings are always tubby sounding due to their thickness. The wound strings, being of a different material, will always sound different than the trebles. Wound strings also tend to be a bit louder and to sustain longer than treble ukulele strings. But, these are characteristics that can be tamed with technique. The tubby sound of non-wound low G strings cannot. So, I always use a wound low G but, though the zzzzzzzzzz sound you get from your fretting hand can also be tamed, it will always be there.

When learning to play a wound string, I say choose one (flip a coin), buy a few of that one because they do require replacement every few months, and practice with it for a year or so. Concentrate on making it sound like the rest of the strings as best you can. When you're getting good at it, then try one of the others. The string can only enhance your music. None of these choices can make the music for you.

Last edited:
All of the above are good suggestions. However, some ukes are just going to sound boomy with a low G.

That's what started my string quest when I started here at UU.

IMO the best balanced strings are Southcoast (I use the ML-SW) or Saverez for wound which is what I'm starting to prefer for the balance and PhD's for non-wound. My Compass Rose is set up for Southcoast and they sound very good on that uke.

I agree with everything written here, and even then, I find the low-G booming. I tried the low G Southcoasts (the ones Daniel did a nice review on), still booming to my ear (when plucked open; not when fretted).

Let us know on this thread please, Ukemunga, if the Fremont Soloist cured the boom for you.

I have to order one online so it will probably be a couple of weeks or more until I swap it. Will post my thoughts when I do. I'm very wound-string phobic so we'll see.

Top Bottom