Kala thinline travel soprano

Kim la

Reaction score
Has anyone out there played or owned a kala thinline soprano travel uke? It looks like a great uke to throw in the back pack and take anywhere. Curious what you guys think of them.

Have the "little brother" to the soprano and find it's well made and responsive.

I have one, and it's my only soprano. It sounds surprisingly good and I like the curved sides. I don't play it much any more, as I have a travel tenor, but would recommend it. Mine even has a compass!

I picked one up recently for a topical trip (that we're currently on :D ). I rather like it! Very good sound and quite loud for such a 'lil guy. I tried a few different strings and prefer Worth clear mediums...but that's me. Well made, and I love the slightly arched back. Tiny package and comes with a gig bag. I believe you will be pleased.
And I find it really shines when finger picking.

Last edited:
I have quite a few friends with this uke and I am always impressed with how loud and clear the little Kala travel uke is.

I have not played the soprano but I did have the tenor one and did not care for it. I found it odd to hold due to the thinness. Sound was so-so.

It's a nice uke with an equally nice gig bag. I've flown with mine frequently, and it's always emerged from the overhead storage compartment unscathed. It's surprisingly loud too, with good action and decent tone.

Last edited:
I have the travel tenor with electronics. It's a great, light, compact uke.

I don't use mine just for 'travel'. I like it for its unique tone too. Very bright and loud.

I have the travel soprano and I like it. I've travelled with it a couple times and it fits well in my suitcase so there is one less thing that I have to carry which is a good thing. It is also well made and sounds quite good.

I just measured a soprano at 21" tip to tip. In a soft case, that will be 22". I have an Eddy Finn thinline concert that measures 24 tip to tip. In a soft case, that is 25". Kala owners are impressed with the looks and sound of it. When they find out it is only $125.00, they tend to get really quiet. For the small difference in size and a big difference in playability and sound, I prefer the concert. It is strung Aquila white--low g. For the difference in price I prefer the Eddy Finn.

I've tried all three sizes. The loudness and tone increase with size, perhaps more so than other ukes. I am a concert fan, but after hearing the tenor, not sure would buy the soprano (unless as you say, it's for a backpack) or even the concert. Just my old ears' experience. A sopranino might be a good choice too.

I love them and every one I pick up surprises me. I can't believe so much sound comes out of that skinny little uke. If Kala made a travel soprano pineapple, I think I'd corner the market. :D

Last edited:
I've had one and thought it was a great little uke. I found the geared tuners to throw off the balance too much and I ended up retrofitting it with some deluxe friction tuners that I purchased from Mainland ukes. It cost about $25 and was worth it.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I did end up ordering one. Headed to the keys next month. Going to take it with me:)

I've had one and thought it was a great little uke. I found the geared tuners to throw off the balance too much and I ended up retrofitting it with some deluxe friction tuners that I purchased from Mainland ukes. It cost about $25 and was worth it.

Wow. That's genius! When I get one, I'll have to do that too. :agree:

Good job Kim la! The keys with a new uke sounds like heaven.

My Kala Soprano Travel 'Ukulele has nice feel, action, tone and volume. I like the ease of tuning with the geared tuners and the precise intonation at the 12th fret. It plays in tune all the way up the neck. The embroidered case is a nice touch, too, with good padding. Ric

Its a great modern classic. Ive had both mk1 and mk2 soprano. The earlier bag is better and the earlier uke is less fussy. But balance with frictions far better.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I did end up ordering one. Headed to the keys next month. Going to take it with me:)

Be careful about playing it in public, I understand they are extremely anti "illegal busking" as they see it. Permits costs hundreds.

Top Bottom