5-String Ukes...Converted back to 4-String and back etc.

warndt

Reaction score
I realize that the 5-String uke has been very popular for the last few years and I bought one to see what it was all about. After about month, I changed mine back to a 4-String Low-G. I changed it back to a 5-String after a while thinking that I didn't give it enough time to appreciate it as something new, but it still didn't take. Great uke either way with the initials BP.

Unless you are exclusively a STRUMMER...I really don't get it.

Anybody else have a similar view on this?

Or not.:cool:

Wm.

Last edited:
Interesting did you just take one of the strings off and put it back on or did you convert the nut and bridge ?

I wondered about taking a 4 string ukulele and drilling a few holes in it to and putting on a different bridge to convert it into a 6 or 8 string ukulele. has anyone tried that ?

I just took the high-G off which leaves four equally spaced strings. It plays just fine this way, without any mods.

I realize that the 5-String uke has been very popular for the last few years and I bought one to see what it was all about. After about month, I changed mine back to a 4-String Low-G. I changed it back to a 5-Sring after a while thinking that I didn't give it enough time to appreciate it as something new, but it still didn't take. Great uke either way with the initials BP.

Unless you are exclusively a STRUMMER...I really don't get it.

Anybody else have a similar view on this?

Or not.:cool:

Wm.

Yes, I had a similar experience. Beautiful sound, but I'm not dexterous enough to pick out the g's separately. Thought it sounded best strummed.
Guess, I am strictly a 4-string player. Had a similar experience with a 6-string, fabulous sound, but just strumming. Thought the 5-string would be better for me. Only 4-strings remain in my collection of ukes.

Last edited:
BTW...I do not feel the need to sell this 5-String due to the above issue.

I'm very happy to keep this one as is, even with the non-utilized 5th tuner. It really does play GREAT as a 4-string.:cool:

Last edited:
I've had a 5 string since last April and it's been my main ukulele since then. I play blues and on the guitar I am 100% finger picker blues player, so when I play my 5-string now, I use it alot in that style, which means that the Gstrings are played as bass string. I really like the sounds I can get out of it for blues. I also think it sounds really good for clawhammer, you just have to learn how to get the angle right with your thumb; that subtle bass gives the song a lot more fullness.

I prefer 5strings over 4strings because of my style. I can see why it might become cumbersome for certain songs.

I have a 5 and 8 string ukulele, but then again they are not my only ukes. I can fingerpick the 5 string fine but these uses are better for the background strumming than. For lead and do provide a nice full sound to many songs or musical pieces.

I plan to use the 8 string for some Latin American music as it sounds much like a tiple.

I did a short review of my Ohana 5 string and have used it in some recordings.

Changing the position of the two Gg strings to gG makes a big difference when picking and strumming.

A set of charrango strings on an 8 stringer allows you to octave all of the strings.

A tiple strung with Aquila white as dD GgG BbB eE is what I have on my 1923 Martin T-18. That really is a full sound good for Bluegrass or The Blues.

Yes, I had a similar experience. Beautiful sound, but I'm not dexterous enough to pick out the g's separately. Thought it sounded best strummed.
Guess, I am strictly a 4-string player. Had a similar experience with a 6-string, fabulous sound, but just strumming. Thought the 5-string would be better for me. Only 4-strings remain in my collection of ukes.

I've gone back and forth more than a few times. I get lost in the beautiful tones played as a four, but am distracted by that doubled high/low G combo when played as a five. I guess that I am strictly a 4-string player too.

Though mine is meant to be a 5-string ukulele...this Boat Paddle all mahogany ukulele plays and sounds incredible as a four string. I'm very happy that it is versitle enough to play either way.

I will however, re-visit this issue with every string brand change down the line.

Nice playing there Mr. Olarte!!!!!!!

Last edited:
This is what I've always wanted. A five string with the low G on top then I could put the bass in when I wanted. Why can't all the strings be evenly spaced? Or should I say....Why aren't they? I could also mute the top string with my thumb. Which I do occasionally on the 4 string anyway.

Changing the position of the two Gg strings to gG makes a big difference when picking and strumming.

A set of charrango strings on an 8 stringer allows you to octave all of the strings.

A tiple strung with Aquila white as dD GgG BbB eE is what I have on my 1923 Martin T-18. That really is a full sound good for Bluegrass or The Blues.

Top Bottom