What the word 'hand-made' really means.

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Just had this posted on my facebook group page:

I was offered a 'go' on someone's luthier-built ukulele the other night. I have to say that it was the most crudely built, heavy, dull-sounding instrument it has ever been my experience to play. It just goes to show that 'hand-built' only means something when you actually trust the hands that did the making...

There is lots of good advice in these few words penned by a client who is also a craftsman building the most stunning studio valve amps here in the UK.

"Hand made" doesn't not equate to well made. I think we all have experienced that at some point in life.

There are two local guys I know who are amateur luthiers. One of them just builds for himself. The other actually sells them. The one who builds for himself makes instruments that look great but when you play them they are dead - they are also bizarre - the balance is completely off. The other guy, who sells a few, I've tried some of his ukes and they are pretty awful. The main problem I have with them is that the sound is dull. I bought a beautiful looking uke off someone who sells them over the internet - at least he sells them cheap - and the sound was dead. I gave that one to a friend who loves it because it is so pretty and who does not play very well. Another friend has one of the famed Viet Namese ukes. It's got to be the most poorly built uke I've ever seen. It is very flashy with a lot of "inlay" which is not really inlay but thinly glued on abalone. It has a top that must be almost 1/4 inch thick and came with heavily applied lacquer. My friend removed the lacquer which helped a little. It has separated at the seams but she still plays it.

Just because someone built an instrument by hand does not mean it's going to be any good. Some people have fun building. The local guy who sells them at least doesn't try to pass himself off as some kind of expert uke builder. He makes clear that it is a hobby for him and sells them inexpensively. The Vietnamese uke was the one that surprised me the most - it is far far worse than I even imagined. Yet there are folks on this forum who crow about them.

I was just thinking about this very thought this morning and would like to offer this amateurs perspective:

I have one big strike going against me when I build an ukulele and that is voicing the soundboard. First, because this is a skill that has to be acquired over time and I just don't build enough instruments to get good at it. I'm sure there are people out there who can voice a piece of wood right off the bat, but I'm not one of them. Maybe if I built my 100th uke I would start to get pretty good at it. I will not be building a hundred ukes.

Second, we must have the skill of bracing with voicing in mind. I just brace. I also pretty much pick a target thickness and go with that and build away regardless. Why amateur built ukes tend to sometimes sound dead and dull (logs) is also partly due to not having the proper tools (drum sander ($$$), etc.) to properly thickness a top.

I tend to rely on hope and luck to get a good sounding uke and you know what that means: Do you feel lucky today punk? But happily sometimes it does turn out good in the end and I'm happy.

So three words that separate the boys from the men, the pros from the hobbiest: Tops, tops, tops.

It's a misnomer to think this craft is technical. Granted it can be. However, everyone who builds an instrument under my instruction produces a canon - watch Fred here:

It's all about obeying simple rules which I have posted here a number of times in the past. Just do a search for one of my rants. Advice - don't try to complicate what is a straightforward and simple process. The one piece of good advice you need to adhere to if you don't listen to anything else is 'build light'. And if you need confirmation, play ANY pre-war instrument, guitar, mandolin, ukulele. Instruments all got much heavier when the paranoia about warranty began in the late 60's.

Pete, good topic choice. The distinction between handcrafted and handmade is a subtlety lost on many. My wife Susan is a fine-fibercrafter. It is a one person operation except for shows and whippingboy support and occasional aesthetics consults. As your video clearly demonstrates though; much hard hand-work goes into handcrafting. It glosses over the planning and paperwork angle and the supervision required for one or multiple person shops in order to develop and execute good design and quality control. I have an appreciation for this because Susan's Cottage Industry in fact means I have a factory in my living room. I suppose I can claim to be an amateur luthier but never stuck with it long enough to achieve hobby-ist or apprentice stature. My engineering training quickly indicated to me the tooling costs alone, in time and money both would preclude me from getting enough return to justify spending the time to gain understanding of the physics and fabrication required to obtain a good let alone acceptable product.

How long does it take to get an appreciation for the nice-ities you folks are mentioning? Any kind of measure would do.

Can someone give me an appreciation of what voicing the soundboard means?

I presume the comments regarding removing the lacquer relate to reducing the mass of the sound chamber. If this is not or only part of the reason what are the other justifications? I hope it is clear here that I am interested in process as well as sound qualities.

Pete who did the soundtrack. It was superior.

Soundtrack is a Rev Gary Davis piece which he either called 'Stop Time' or 'Buck Dance'... I can't remember. It was recorded by me on one of my tenors when I had the ability to play this stuff :)

Saw a lady at the TBUG in November. Had a gorgeous "boatpaddle style" concert uke. Workmanship was very good. Said her husband, who is a carpenter, made it for her. Deadest uke I've ever heard or played. Didn't know whether to feel happy or bad for her.

There are two local guys I know who are amateur luthiers. One of them just builds for himself. The other actually sells them. The one who builds for himself makes instruments that look great but when you play them they are dead - they are also bizarre - the balance is completely off. The other guy, who sells a few, I've tried some of his ukes and they are pretty awful. The main problem I have with them is that the sound is dull...Some people have fun building...

Yes, I have fun building and that is why I do it and sure sometimes they might not be cannons, but I love them anyway. I'm not trying to build concert violins here and when they turn out sounding great, great, and when they turn out to be pretty logs, ok, it happens. I try and learn and I try some more.

I guess the point I really want to make is: Don't be too hard on us back-bedroom-dusty-garage uke builders. If you should come across one of our instruments and it sounds like a canoe paddle with strings on, smile, say something nice about the wood and move on. The builder is probably immensely proud of his/her creation no matter how bad it sounds. As a matter of fact it might be like a mother's love for her ugly baby.

That said, selling homemade ukes is a whole different matter and that shifts the discussion. You gotta produce more than pretty bling and give the customer a reasonably good sounding and soundly built instrument.

I would be very hesitant to order an expensive instrument from a small time luthier. I think all of them with good reputations are capable of producing an excellent instrument, but I have my doubts about their consistency. I've owned two individual luthier built Ukuleles and liked them, but in each case I was able to play them before I bought them. I actually think that a combination of factory built and hand finished may offer the most in quality and consistency for the online purchaser. That's how I would classify the better grades of Martin and Taylor Guitars, and Kamaka Ukuleles. Unfortunately, I don't know how much hand fitting and finishing go into the manufacture of other "quality" brands of Ukuleles. But I'm sure that a number of them out there do a good job. There is a big difference between the product of an experienced hands on worker who glues and trims bracing, sets the neck, etc, and a worker who is shown what to do on day one, and is building Ukuleles on day two. So, there really is a middle ground between the individual luthier build, and the cookie cutter factory stamp out build. And, I even think there is something good to be said for certain aspects of factory construction where large numbers of pieces are being cut and shaped in a uniform manner. That leads to overall consistency. But, the attention of the experienced craftsman is indispensable in the production of a quality instrument.

This may be a little off track but I think the most important thing a builder can do to up his/her game is to learn to play and to play often. I can always tell the difference between ukes built by players and those built by non players. Only through playing can a builder know what a great instrument demands. The differences may seem subtle to the eye but they can be huge when put into practice. I see some builders who have a lot of ukes under their belts making the same mistakes for years. It's because they don't know what's expected from their instruments.

The one piece of good advice you need to adhere to if you don't listen to anything else is 'build light'.

This quote should be burned in wood and mounted over every amateurs uke builder's bench. Thanks Pete.

Your shop is beautiful by the way. Just like your instruments. My shop does not look like that. But I wish it did.

Chuck you are right on the nut. The observations being made here about dead sound high mass ukes and such pretty much addresses this question http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...layers-can-t-build-and-builders-can-t-play%94

VegasGeorge: I am hesitant to buy online at all. On the two occasions I have done so I have had some difficulties. These were reputable dealers/builders and issues were satisfactorily resolved but I still was left with some resentment. That can't be good for business. On the other hand Small Time Luthiers, (assuming we mean the same thing here), can be the most reliable folks to deal with if you know who your dealing with. I am reminded of Walt Martin, RIP, Sunhearth. Very distinctive Trademark. If I see that trademark online I have no qualms doing business online or elsewhere.

There is something here that is troubling. I don't think there is much anyone can do about it but is troubling none the less. Some of the finest luthiers express heavy criticism of other luthiers who produce "inferior" products Luthiers who in many cases just learning their trade. They will in the next breath indicate how long it takes to acquire the requisite skills and experience required to produce "superior" product. I do not suggest the criticisms are invalid. As a young engineer I always sought out these crits and was happy, (sort of), to learn of my mistakes. Most professionals, and I include craftsmen in this class; are very reluctant to tell you this to your face. I do understand. Unfortunately the superior craftsman are in business and competing with folks who undercut their volume. A lot of rancor here. Understandable too.

Two results of this are the criticisms get a little nastier. - Who is happy about food being taken off their table? The less experienced luthiers are less likely to get the advice that would bring them up to par and raise market prices all around. The second result is that the customer reacts to this "nastiness" in ways that don't promote business as well. Sometimes Craftmen may even get flamed for this. - I don't know the answer. I don't think anyone can build too good a ukulele that they can dismiss goodwill in their marketing plans.

I don't think the experienced luthiers who criticize inferior work care about the impact on the volume of their sales. For the most part they have wait lists and more demand for their product than they can ever satisfy. But they are sensitive to inferior work when they see it, and they do want people to be careful about the "flavor of the month." They do the rest of us a service by pointing out things we might not even see. I don't see a lot of rancor, just honest observations. I also don't see the criticisms as nasty.

It's very hard to know from what people say here on UU about ukes. You don't know much about the person expressing opinions. You don't know their skill level, their experience, or their ability to discriminate. It's one thing if someone is a hobby builder, but when you start marketing yourself as a professional builder and turning out product, you subject yourself to criticism. The person buying your uke isn't going to be satisfied just because you don't have as much experience as Chuck Moore or Pete Howlett. People can make their own decision whether they want to spend their money.

What Katysax said.

There was a point in time when Pete was going to leave. Does he rub people the wrong way? Of course he does, look where he's from!:) Does that devalue his contributions here? If you don't like it, don't read. I've been called an old fart in Uke Talk (or something like that), and called out on my experience (which I usually never state to effect). Does that make me gun shy there? Yes. Here? Not really.

Of course, now if I have nothing nice to say, I don't. Which may discount "opening up" in the lounge.
Sometimes, silence can be non-consenting.

And I agree with Chuck. But I don't play as well as I build - I play bass a LOT better than `ukulele. Fortunately, I have the opportunity to expose myself to players, and get feedback from them. I got one of my most important from Bryan Tolentino, years ago. Because of him is why I pay attention to frets, and side markers, ever since. That's usually the first thing he looks at on my instruments. Tyler from PuaPua ALWAYS gives honest feedback, and he is the only guy I know that will reach inside the ukulele before he starts playing. Even if its not about my instruments, but instruments in general, talking to players are lessons in themselves. Kimo Hussey will always be honest about his feedback, and a recent lesson I learned from Daniel Nakashima, Aaron Crowell and Corey Fujimoto on a recent Maple Spruce build that was sold through HMS had to do with neck profile, which I changed a little on that instrument (for the better, fortunately).
Being a member of the `Ukulele Guild of Hawaii and participating in the annual Exhibition is still a learning experience for me, as much as it is a networking experience. For better or worse, Hand Made is there in spades. . .

Last edited:
I'd be honoured to be called an old fart :) I took a long sabbatical from here because there was a phase where a lot of posts put up by experienced luthiers, including myself (by the way - I am a BUILDER/MAKER not a luthier - despite studying it at college as part of my teaching degree and producing a dissertation on the history of the Spanish guitar I have no papers to qualify assuming that title) were being challenged by a group of newbies who took great offence to constructive and yes, sometimes harsh criticism. The result was that some post were 'over moderated' for want of a better word. I now only post where I think it is neutral or I am quoting what my clients say, hence this thread. I also post because I received so many kind private mails asking me not to quit...

Chuck is giving good advice - I just wish this essential tremor in my right arm would allow me to syncopate again, glue fret ends without any difficulty or pick up small screws from the bench! Being a player is so very helpful to the construction process, along with listening to what ALL luthiers say - Ken Timms is an engineer by trade (a braniac by profession) and an hour in his presence will tell you that the most important thing to be able to do is THINK. Professional and hobby builders alike are stunned at the ingenuity of this humble man who applies the simple mantra 'Can I find a better way of doing this' to everything he does. Coupled with the accuracy brought on by years of precision work, he produces arguably one of the best Martin style 0 reproductions available. Two reasons reason for his success - he is humorous and cheerful (except in winter - we are half way to spring Ken :) ) He takes the work seriously and not himself. Although his work and attitude is very professional, ukulele making is not his profession. By genius and hard work it is something Ken choses to do when it suits him and blessed you are if you are able to win one of his pieces!

There is a learning curve to getting this right and despite his great understanding of process, even Ken will tell you that. However if you are going to put your work out there under the banner of LUTHIER, BUILDER or MAKER, if you intend to sell your work in the professional arena you must be prepared to accept PEER review - nice as customers and clients are, apart from self, the only criticism worth having is that of those who you stand beside or want to be associated with. All professions have this. I think we are often more circumspect in our 'judgement' than they are - try being an actor for a while if you don't believe me...

Soooo if it's hand made, it don't necessarily mean it's well made. If you are starting out and want it to be 'well made' please be humble enough to take advice and USE it. Many new builders mistake wanting advice for actually wanting praise. Praise is what you get, after you have proved yourself. Proving yourself is the longest of journeys. You want to make that journey? Get a pair of sturdy boots and start walking the road of a true apprentice. Only by repetition and refinement through the fires of failure will you get there :)

Last edited:
There is a learning curve to getting this right and despite his great understanding of process, even Ken will tell you that. However if you are going to put your work out there under the banner of LUTHIER, BUILDER or MAKER, if you intend to sell your work in the professional arena you must be prepared to accept PEER review - nice as customers and clients are, apart from self, the only criticism worth having is that of those who you stand beside or want to be associated with. All professions have this. I think we are often more circumspect in our 'judgement' than they are - try being an actor for a while if you don't believe me...

Soooo if it's hand made, it don't necessarily mean it's well made. If you are starting out and want it to be 'well made' please be humble enough to take advice and USE it. Many new builders mistake wanting advice for actually wanting praise. Praise is what you get, after you have proved yourself. Proving yourself is the longest of journeys. You want to make that journey? Get a pair of sturdy boots and start walking the road of a true apprentice. Only by repetition and refinement through the fires of failure will you get there :)

You're a smart guy Pete! That was thoughtfully stated.

There are some key points being made by the better builders here while I qualify as a bloke mucking about in his shed. I like to make sure the fretboard is flat, the frets are in the right places and the action is nice and low. This, for the hobbyist will give you something fun to play. If the sound is not as sonorous as you might like I am prepared to call that character. I mean nothing but respect when I acknowledge that I am not aspiring to make something as beautiful as the ukes regularly posted on these pages but there is no way anyone could look at one of my creations and not know in a heartbeat that it was hand made.
To add insult to injury I usually sell them at handicraft prices for charity or give them away. I build to enjoy myself, it sure beasts scrapbooking and I lack the patience to knit anything worthwhile. If you think selling ukes is under valued you should see the hours my mum put in to knitting and the craftspersonship required for something that will never get a "fair" price considering the hours that go in to them.
Even worse, consider all those people who spend all day trying to get a small white ball into a hole in the ground, after which they don't even get to take the hole home with them.

...and I lack the patience to knit anything worthwhile. If you think selling ukes is under valued you should see the hours my mum put in to knitting and the craftspersonship required for something that will never get a "fair" price considering the hours that go in to them.

As a knitter and seamstress I have to thank you for this comment. It's so true! I would never, ever, knit something for sale. You're doing well if you can get $3 an hour. So I prefer to knit for myself or my loved ones.

But it also makes me understand that luthiers are not charging too much.

OK - honestly - why do you all spend so much time saying horrible things about other luthiers (without perhaps naming them - it's all the same)?

I have owned ukes by most of the best luthiers in the world. I've kept and sold quite a few.
For my money, the luthier I most respect is the one who builds instruments with integrity (perhaps not always perfectly but with serious intent) and doesn't slag people off.
Sven Nystrum comes to mind.

What is it with this need to be so mean?
Life is short and I'd have thought being nice was a positive thing.

x

Top Bottom