UAS leading to instrument favoritism

SteveZ

Reaction score
UAS has done its thing. Have found a "comfort level" with what I have, knowing now what each can do. It has resulted in an Orwellian "some ukes are more equal than others" situation, as I find I tend to go to certain ones first. The interesting thing is that my choices are circumstance-driven and have no relationship to cost whatsoever. Do other folk find themselves in the same position - favorite uke is not the most expensive?

Of the six ukuleles currently in the stable, their financial value is: 1) Pono Pro Classic tenor, 2) Lanikai monkeypod tenor A/E, 3) Gretsch 9470 banjolele, 4) Flea Soprano, 5) Kala travel pocket, and 6) Oscar Schmidt 8-string tenor.

I've found that my "indoor" playing preference order, based on which one I grab first, then second, etc. the most often. Ironically, that order is: 1) the Lanikai, 2) the OS 8-string, 3) the Gretsch Banjolele, 4) the Flea, 5) the Pono, and 6) the Kala.

My "outside" in-the-yard, on-the-porch, or take-to-jam order is: 1) the Flea, 2) the Lanikai, 3) the Gretsch and 4) the OS 8-string. The Kaka just gets time in the car while waiting for someone and the Pono stays housebound.

Based on the above, it probably means I'm more prone to trade the Pono (a great instrument) or the Kala (a neat special-use instrument) simply because there's less kinship to them. What it does show me is that the fun factor is not tied to instrument cost. The instrument-musician bond knows no pricetag.

While I only have 2-3 ukes at one time, I've owned quite a few in the 15 months I've been playing. My favorite to play -- Collings UC3M -- is also my most expensive. But it is available in less expensive forms with the same playability. While I really love it's sound and playability, I also find great joy in its looks. I believe it to be my first forever uke. But I have had other ukes that I loved to play that were among the less expensive, so your point resonates with me.

This weekend I scored a nice deal on a beautiful looking Ron Yasuda Koa concert that I cannot wait to try. He was hearing impaired and built ukes for Kamaka from 1958-1977. When he retired, he built some ukes under his own name. He no longer builds, but from what I've read he had quite the reputation for building excellent sounding ukes.

BTW, if your Pono has a radius fretboard and a spruce top, @sam13 may be interested.

I've been fortunate to have custom built ukes from Boat Paddle, Mike DaSilva, Licthy, LoPrinzi, Mike Perrra, and Barron River. I've sold all my customs except the LoPrinzi and Barron River, but the uke I always pick up to play is a used Kiwaya KS-5 koa laminate. It might not have the best sound (I think it sounds very good), but it's the easiest and most comfortable to play - for me. I often think about buying a 2nd one to have on hand just incase.

I bought all my Ukes with a specific use in mind. When I (try) to play that music, I use that Uke. That's just the kinda guy I am. I fully intend to keep all of them except maybe one, though I really do like it. I dunno . . .

"Who knows what (music) lurks in the minds of men . . . The Shadow knows--Ha ha ha ha . . ." :eek:ld:

P.S. Anybody remember The Shadow on the old radio show?

My current favorite Uke is also the cheapest I've ever owned. Kala-KA15S, I really dig the vintage vibe of the thing and the body shape.

I have a similar situation. My Lanikai 6-string is right next to my desk, so I pick it up the most. What is a bit surprising is that my second most frequently played uke is my least expensive one - an off-brand travel tenor. Part of this is because it's usually handy, but I also like the sound.

Every time I take my Collings tenor from the case, it's a thrill, but it's less often. That uke is at a different level from the frequently players, while the others are pretty similar in terms of playability and such.

What's a radio?

Ha! I spent many an evening laying on the floor listening to all those old programs. Waaaaaay better than TV. One could do a puzzle or draw or something while listening. And he/she could imagine what was going on. "The theater of the mind", they called it. It was just great.

Have you ever listened to (good) Audio-books? They're good too. :eek:ld:

I like to rotate around, but when playing with the jug band, I like certain ukes for certain tunes. I use a Kala concert for Ukulele Lady and Overseas Stomp. I like the S.S.Stewart tango banjo tuned gCEA with nylgut strings for Boodle-Am-Shake or Sweet Georgia Brown, I use my MayBell banjolele for I'm Satisfied With My Gal or My Ukulele Helps Me Beat The Blues.
I have a couple of old refurbished banjoleles that stay at home for now, but have been repaired and may be ready for some stage time. I also have a Harmony soprano with a molded plastic fretboard that stays at home, but is a lot of fun to play.

Speaking of The Shadow, wasn't his name Lamont Cransdon (sp)?
Like Down Up Dick, I listened to those as well. The Lone Ranger, Gun Smoke, The Green Lantern, The Cisco Kid, Our Miss Brooks, The Happy Gang, What's On Tap...

Last edited:
Yes, it was Lamont Cranston. Do you remember "I Love A Mystery"? I wasn't supposed to listen to it, because some times I'd have night-mares. But my big sister and I listened to it anyway. I loved those old shows.

I really and truly believe that the old times were so much better than the mess we're in now. Ahhh, well . . . :eek:ld:

In the 18 months I've been playing uke, I've gone through 12 tenor cutaways and have 8 now, see my signature. The best sound in my opinion is the Kala solid cedar/acacia koa with stock Aquila strings, which was $369 at McCabe's, but I traded in 3 for that, so it cost me $160. My custom gypsy jazz from Vietnam was $780 including overseas shipping, but it still needs to open up even when I tried Worth CT and now Aquila strings, so I play it as much as I can to help that.

Once I changed the Aquila strings to Worth browns on the Lanikai quilted ash and let it open up, it sounded much better. I also changed the strings from Aquila to Worth CT on the Gretsch and Uku 2 hole and they sound much better now. The recently arrived from Vietnam custom glossy black mandolele sounded very good right out of the box with stock Aquila strings and I added the tailpiece, which had no effect on the sound at all. It's one that I tend to grab very often.

I don't play the solid body electric because I put very heavy strings with low G that were just not right, and because I have basically no occasion to play it since it always needs amplification, it just hangs in my cabinet unused. I'll get to it sooner or later.

My first custom, a mahogany mandolele ($290), I ordered before I decided to replace it with the glossy black one. I've been trying to sell it, but no takers, so I have a gold tailpiece and gold strap buttons that I will install, and also add gold Ko'olau strings, gold tuners, and keep it in my collection as sort of a contrast to the glossy black with chrome hardware.

Last edited:
I have 11 ukes ranging from $100 beaters to $1500 keepers. I haven't reached the point where I have the ukes I want and know which ones to sell. Too emotionally involved, I guess. That day may come. I don't know. I still have a couple of want-to-haves on my list. My real challenge is to bring my skill up to a level where I can get more of what they have to give from them. Right now, the Clara and the Pono ATD are getting the most play. because of the lessons I'm taking. The ones I enjoy playing the most are a Martin C1K and Cocobolo concert. They are the easiest to reach for at home and office.

In terms of sound, no question, my favorite is my LFdM tenor, with my KoAloha super concert in second place. In terms of ease of playing, no question, it's the $ 99.99 Takamine tenor in my avatar. I have no idea why I like the Takamine so much. The shape of the neck, I guess.

My small luthier-built baritone is my most played (probably 50% playtime), as I often play songs that seem to be well suited to the baritone. It was moderately priced. But before I got that, my fav was my Lanikai LU-21B, quite a cheapie but much played and much loved. My second fav is my no-frills walnut LoPrinzi soprano (prob 30% play) priced under$300. I'm not crazy about my concert Flea (prob 10%) , not sure exactly why, but it's some kind of combination of not liking the concert size/sound in general and not loving the flea sound so much in particular, as well as not liking the tuners. I only play it camping/beach/boating. I do like its durability but it would never be my go-to uke. My most expensive uke, a custom LoPr tenor is only played about 10% of the time. It's a lovely instrument, just not my fav size, but size-preference can change over time (I did not like soprano when I first started). I coincidentally just ordered new Living Water low G strings for it and am gonna make a point of giving it some love. Who knows, I might find that I can connect with it, like I haven't before. I hope so. It seems a shame when your best instrument doesn't get played.

"What it shows me is the instrument cost to fun factor has no bearing". Truer words have not been spoken SteveZ. My first uke a Gretsch G9120 mahogany laminate tenor still gets a ton of play time. It makes it out at least once a week to a uke jam. I have some very high priced ukes but the Gretsch is a solid easy player that stays in tune forever, sounds good so gets played alot.

RichM, your radio is the thing in the middle of the dashboard of your car. What do you do, play the uke while you drive? You aren't the only one.
I discovered only today that my ears no longer like the sound of either of my Kalas. ARGH! Time for some string changes, and maybe a new side sound hole.
I think it's time to crack out the Ohana. I been so darn busy it's been in the case for over a week. Holy crap! If I don't like it's tone, now I'm screwed....or new strings, maybe a side sound hole.
I can't succumb to UAS for a while, so maybe it's time to fire up the new hammered dulcimer, if I can just tune the darn thing!

I had a similar conversation with a friend of mine a few months ago and we came to the conclusion that no matter the sound or the built of the ukulele, the musician can make a $60 ukulele sound like a $1000 custom built ukulele.

I agree that there is a bond between musician and instrument as I pick up my concert Kala ukulele quite often. It's my go to ukulele when I want to have a pick up and go sesh, or take to the beach. On the other hand, I do have several Kamkas around the house as well.

I feel, I've grow enough to appreciate each quality of each ukulele and find that its not the brand that I look for as much anymore, but more so of how the ukulele makes me feel. But ironically, I've been still biased to my favorite brand (although there are many great sounding ukuleles).

All I can say is I'm glad there are many brands and styles of the ukulele. In my day, there were maybe 5 at the most...including the plastic blue with white flowers ukulele.

Ukulele-$60+
Stings-$10
Bag-$30
The musicians bond with the instrument-Priceless

But the uke I always pick up to play is a used Kiwaya KS-5 koa laminate. It might not have the best sound (I think it sounds very good), but it's the easiest and most comfortable to play - for me.

I miss my Kiwaya KTS-4! I can't recommend them enough. If only I didn't have such massive hands I'd still have it and I may never have switched.

I have three wonderful tenors (LFDM, Boat Paddle, and Mike Pereira) that get equal rotation thanks to a three-instrument stand in my bedroom. They each have a distinct voice and I will often play the same song three times in a row, once on each tenor, to get a different feel each time. The more I play the greater my appreciation for the differences of each. This accounts for 90% of my playing time and for a change of pace I play my Ukiyo Vita soprano.

I know I have the right instruments because with each one, even the soprano, I have this feeling that 'if this was my only ukulele I would be more than happy.'

Last edited:
Top Bottom