Soprano Uke on Air Canada

pinkelephant

Reaction score
Flying from Toronto to Whitehorse (layover in Vancouver). Air Canada claimed that it will accommodate string instruments.

This is what it says on their website:
* Exception: String instruments (e.g. guitars, violins and violas) can be carried on board as long as they fit in the overhead bin and there is space available in the cabin at time of boarding. In some cases, a seat may also be purchased for these instruments. Contact Air Canada Reservations for more information.

However, they have also taken a public stance against violas. Violins can be carry-on, but violas need to be checked http://www.macleans.ca/society/how-does-a-viola-cross-the-ocean/. I DO NOT want to check my uke. It's the Martin S1 and therefore mahogany. Does Air Canada have a specific policy on ukes?

Flying from Toronto to Whitehorse (layover in Vancouver). Air Canada claimed that it will accommodate string instruments.

This is what it says on their website:
* Exception: String instruments (e.g. guitars, violins and violas) can be carried on board as long as they fit in the overhead bin and there is space available in the cabin at time of boarding. In some cases, a seat may also be purchased for these instruments. Contact Air Canada Reservations for more information.

However, they have also taken a public stance against violas. Violins can be carry-on, but violas need to be checked http://www.macleans.ca/society/how-does-a-viola-cross-the-ocean/. I DO NOT want to check my uke. It's the Martin S1 and therefore mahogany. Does Air Canada have a specific policy on ukes?
Why don't you call them up and ask someone there? I would think that you would probably get more reliable information that way.

I imagine a soprano uke in a usual case would fit easily in most overhead bins or even under the seat in front of you. The largest risk, I imagine, would be your flight from Vancouver to Whitehorse, which may be a small plane with very limited overhead space. However, I have found the crew on "puddle-jumpers" to be pretty flexible when it comes to storage, as the overheads can be small enough for coats and not much else.

A call to Air Canada may help you to be more comfortable, but the truth is, you won't know until you get there. Unless your soprano is in an unusually oversize case, I'm guessing it would be fine as a carry-on.

I usually just sling it across my back with purse, no one has ever said a word on a dozen flights. Only issue i ever had when some guy was cramming his stuff into the bin on top of my uke. I politely told him that was my instrument and he backed off no problem.

I've never had a problem with either Air Canada or Westjet with just carrying on my ukuleles. It should fit easily in the overhead bin.

Shouldn't be a problem on Air Canada--especially with a soprano. if the change to a partner airline, you need to check their rules.
I have brought Sopranos, concerts and tenor sizes in cases back from Maui to Fredericton NB using Air Canada via Vancouver, Toronto and sometimes Montreal....and no problem...

Suggest you loses strings a little before travelling and watch for fellow passengers who try to cram stuff in the overhead bins
Aloha
Terry

I just completed a seven flight trip via Air Canada/United. Wpg.- chicago- newark- Panama-nicaragua-miami-chicago-winnipeg. Kept my soprano Uke on the floor between my feet on every flight except one one where we were in the exit row and it had to go overhead. Never had a single bit of trouble. I think you should be fine.

I fly Southwest a good bit and never had a problem. Walking through airports, I see lots of people with travel and, even, full sized guitars they seem to be making it no problem.

Funny story, I was always a little nervous until I saw a youth orchestra walking around the airport carrying their Cello. Violins, Violas and other things. I thought, if they made it past they airlines folks, I'll be fine with my Sop. or Concert Uke!

P.S. I do recommend a hard shell case. I have a couple of the "Uke Crazy" Kala cases that work fine! If it's a crowded flight, someone may try to stuff their laptop bag in the (Overcrowded) overhead and squash your uke in a gigbag!

Years ago I heard a lovely story about two musicians flying with their cellos. One had a very old instrument, and had to pay for its seat on the plane; but the other cello travelled for free, because it was under three years old..
No idea whether it's true, but I so hope it is!

If you haven't yet booked the YVR to Whitehorse leg, you should consider Air North, the Yukon's airline. It's really old school from an airline service perspective- full meal on a 3 hour flight, etc.

I have flown with a soprano on American Airlines and Southwest without any problems. I travel with an upgraded gig bag (thicker foam) and can easily slide it under the seat in front of me. If your uke is a soprano size, with a typical sized case, it should be treated as a carry-on and you shouldn't have to check it. A soprano actually isn't much bigger than a large purse or computer bag.

FYI, if you do a search there are about 100 threads about taking ukulele's on airplanes.

67 Flights both CONUS and international this year. 67 Concert size Uke carry-ons.....................ZERO PROBLEMS.

Stop sweating Bro.

Never had a problem with AC and bringing on a soprano uke. I last flew from Ottawa to Toronto then to Sarnia with a soprano (mid October 2014) sans problem. :cool:

Petey

I flew on Air Canada with my Koaloha Pineapple soprano earlier this year. I had a window seat and I just placed the uke in its case on the floor beside my feet.

Worse thing that happened is that multiple people in the airport kept asking me how long I had been playing the violin. They seemed disappointed when I mentioned its a ukulele. Now I know how accordion players feel...

Jordan

Please do update us, pink elephant, with your experience in either calling the airline or flying with your Martin sop. Thanks.

Worse thing that happened is that multiple people in the airport kept asking me how long I had been playing the violin. They seemed disappointed when I mentioned its a ukulele.

Funny, the only time I ever played un-scheduled in public was for a music school director I met in an airport who asked how I got my "violin" in such a small case. After setting her straight, she practically begged me to play. So far, my most appreciative audience.

I flew on Air Canada with my Koaloha Pineapple soprano earlier this year. I had a window seat and I just placed the uke in its case on the floor beside my feet.

Worse thing that happened is that multiple people in the airport kept asking me how long I had been playing the violin. They seemed disappointed when I mentioned its a ukulele. Now I know how accordion players feel...

Jordan

My experience was quite the opposite actually, last year I took my tenor to the states for our winter get-away. Couldn't go anywhere without someone asking what's in the case ? Just the word ukulele made them smile immediately. In one long line up at customs the agent appeared to by Mr. Grumpy Face and seemd to be unnecessarily harassing folks, when I got to the front of the line he said "what's in the case" when I amswered a ukulele his face brightened up and he said in a exaggerated voice "REALLY " and then added "well maybe next time you come the line wont be so long and we'll have you play it" . I said to my wife, this thing is power, I'm never going anywhere without a ukulele again.

Funny thing is that with all the people that asked no one sought proof and asked to look. It could have been a Tommy gun for all anyone knew.

Once when I was at the Heathrow airport flying back to Canada, I asked the guy at the AC counter if I could bring my uke on the plane. He proceeded to ask me if I knew who George Formby was and I said of course. I quoted a few song names and he smiled. He then noticed in my booking I was sitting beside someone and asked me if I wanted an available three seater all to my self! Yes, sir! hehe

I have been asked a few times if I was carrying a violin, but there was nothing negative when I said it was a ukulele.

Petey

Top Bottom