PDA

View Full Version : NUD: Custom Luis Feu de Mesquita Tenor

Laouik
12-22-2014, 05:29 PM
It's heeeeeeeere. I picked it up from Luis's workshop last week, but had to travel all of last week for work. And I've been playing it all weekend with no time to take pictures. Or eat. Or... yeah.

It has a Sitka Spruce top, with a bearclaw effect below the saddle:

http://i.imgur.com/6VpWVgx.jpg

I really like it because the bearclaw effect looks like a reflection, as though it always had a light source shining on it.

The binding is Leopard wood, as is the rosette. I also chose a green accent, which is also present in the binding. I really like it and I'm really happy with the colours and tones.

http://i.imgur.com/CqHQGzQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xyoRVgc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oOCLBKo.jpg

Laouik
12-22-2014, 05:30 PM
It features his signature slotted headstock. The leopardw ood is fantastic in person. It has this 3D effect that I've not seen in other woods (which says more about how few woods I've seen, I suppose):

http://i.imgur.com/LY0u0fd.jpg

The back and sides are Milo. The grain of the back makes me smile. So lovely. He even added a piece of milo to the back of the headstock, something he said he did to even out the colours on purely aesthetic grounds.

http://i.imgur.com/CaBA0Ei.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eQDvLr7.jpg

Other details are bone nut and saddle, zero fret, ebony fretboard and bridge, cedar neck with carbon fibre truss rod, geared tuners, MiSi pickup. He fitted it with Southcoast strings, but I... ugh. Let's not get into it but I've temporarily placed Aquilas until I get a new set of Southcoast strings.

Thank you for indulging me! There'll be a video or two soon, including comparing the sound between a decent mic and the MiSi pickup he installed.

http://i.imgur.com/0pa01jN.jpg

NewKid
12-22-2014, 05:56 PM
So beautiful! Congratulations. I like everything about your new LFDM. The back of the headstock is such a classy touch and I also love those tuning machines. The work is exquisite as usual from Luis. No wonder he is already sold out for next year.

Laouik
12-22-2014, 06:02 PM
So beautiful! Congratulations. I like everything about your new LFDM. The back of the headstock is such a classy touch and I also love those tuning machines. The work is exquisite as usual from Luis. No wonder he is already sold out for next year.

Thank you! He certainly outdid himself.

And yes, he's very busy. I waited roughly nine or ten months for mine.

Ukulele Eddie
12-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Amazing. What a beauty. He crafts such beautiful instruments. If he ever starts building concerts, I would order one in a minute.

Camsuke
12-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Congratulations Laouik, that is a knockout!

katysax
12-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Gorgeous! Enjoy!

Dan Uke
12-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Looks awesome! Congrats!

Doc_J
12-22-2014, 07:22 PM
Congrats! The design, fit, and finish look outstanding! Can wait to hear it.
Can you comment on how it compares to your 1st uke from Luis?

Laouik
12-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Congrats! The design, fit, and finish look outstanding! Can wait to hear it.
Can you comment on how it compares to your 1st uke from Luis?

Thank you. It's... well. Perfect.

Brighter tone (likely the woods, the other is an Indian Rosewood and Western Red Cedar top), more sustain, a bit lighter, the headstock has been slightly redesigned to give more hand manoeuvring room, there's a bit more space between the nut and zero fret... those are the things I've noticed.

mm stan
12-22-2014, 07:51 PM
Congratulations it's a beautiful ukulele. ....happy strummings :)

TheBathBird
12-22-2014, 08:26 PM
Wow, beautiful! I've never seen Leopardwood before, it's stunning. Looking forward to the videos... :)

kvehe
12-22-2014, 09:26 PM
So incredibly gorgeous! Congratulations!

PhilUSAFRet
12-23-2014, 12:12 AM
There's only one thing wrong with that instrument..........................it's not mine!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

Congratulations. It's so gorgeous, I don't know if I'd rather play it or just hold it and stroke it.

sam13
12-23-2014, 01:55 AM
Fabulous work by a master luthier. Congratulations. We need to meet up with DownUpDave in the new year. Cheers.

DownUpDave
12-23-2014, 02:04 AM
Congratulations........two LfdM ukuleles in your possession is like having two Ferraris in the driveway. No matter which one you decide to use you have made the right choice;)

As sam13 has told you we have been fortunate enough to visit with Luis a couple of times and I saw the last batch he sent to HMS. One had Leopard wood trim and it is a very stunning wood. I really like the green purfing and the milo to the back of head stock. We will have to get together sometime in the new year. Looking forward to a sound sample............showed up just in time for Christmas didn't it, nice.

dkcrown
12-23-2014, 02:10 AM
Lovely. And fantastic pics! I love looking, and listening to Luis' uke. Looking forward to your sound sample.

jonesy77777
12-23-2014, 03:38 AM
wow, beautifully craftsmanship.

M3Ukulele
12-23-2014, 10:05 AM
Congratulations, exceptional looking ukulele. I can't wait to hear and see a video. I love the sound hole which is different from the D sound hole. Any idea what Luis's waiting time is now...... his site says check HMS for 2014/2015......... and having two in your possession....... WOW.

Phuufme
12-23-2014, 11:04 AM
There's only one thing wrong with that instrument..........................it's not mine!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

Congratulations. It's so gorgeous, I don't know if I'd rather play it or just hold it and stroke it.

Yep same thing I thought when I saw this beauty.

Laouik
12-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Yep same thing I thought when I saw this beauty.

Just so you and Phil are aware, I've upped my insurance policy, put in steel doors with frames, lifted the building twenty feet higher into the air on stilts equipped with fire throwers, have acquired a kennel of attack dogs (with requisite lasers on their heads) and plate electrified plates into the floors of my apartment. I thought it important that I let the two of you know this.

Laouik
12-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Congratulations........two LfdM ukuleles in your possession is like having two Ferraris in the driveway. No matter which one you decide to use you have made the right choice;)

As sam13 has told you we have been fortunate enough to visit with Luis a couple of times and I saw the last batch he sent to HMS. One had Leopard wood trim and it is a very stunning wood. I really like the green purfing and the milo to the back of head stock. We will have to get together sometime in the new year. Looking forward to a sound sample............showed up just in time for Christmas didn't it, nice.

Indeed. It will be a very happy December :D

RichM
12-23-2014, 12:21 PM
I've never seen Luis turn out anything but beautiful instruments (his guitars are quite stunning, too), but this must be a personal best, even for him. What a remarkable instrument!

Laouik
12-23-2014, 12:25 PM
I've never seen Luis turn out anything but beautiful instruments (his guitars are quite stunning, too), but this must be a personal best, even for him. What a remarkable instrument!

Now you're just flattering me! But I must admit that there are subtle but present improvements from my Amigo VI. The man is relentless in his pursuit of improvement.

RichM
12-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Now you're just flattering me! But I must admit that there are subtle but present improvements from my Amigo VI. The man is relentless in his pursuit of improvement.

Actually, I'm flattering Luis :) But I'm glad you got this uke, you've done a lot to introduce Luis' work to the uke community.

Laouik
12-23-2014, 01:19 PM
Ok, here's the sound clip. Embarrassing how I've gotten rusty after six months of hardly playing... Yikes. Well, here it is, bruises and all. It's also a mic vs. pick up example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEzYDtMMp9w

DownUpDave
12-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Thanks for taking the time to do that. It was wonderful and your tenor sounds fabulous with or without the pickup

Laouik
12-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Thanks for taking the time to do that. It was wonderful and your tenor sounds fabulous with or without the pickup

Thank you! ow I just need to continue practising daily to get back to where I was and continue improving :)

kvehe
12-23-2014, 02:08 PM
That sounded super! Thanks for posting it, and Happy Holidays!

philpot
12-23-2014, 02:18 PM
That uke really sings on those high frets. Beautiful looks and sound. Congratulations!

Laouik
12-23-2014, 02:19 PM
That uke really sings on those high frets. Beautiful looks and sound. Congratulations!

Rings like a bell. And the sustain is ridiculous.

brimmer
12-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Unbelivable workmanship on that uke. You're a great picture taker as well. Congrats!

Laouik
12-23-2014, 03:05 PM
Unbelivable workmanship on that uke. You're a great picture taker as well. Congrats!

I loves me macro lens. But thanks for ignoring the unintended lack of depth of field on one of the pics :p

sam13
12-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Great sound sample. The tone is incredibly centred and the sustsin is wonderful. Nice choice of wood.

Rakelele
12-23-2014, 09:20 PM
You're going to have some happy holidays indeed! How does that "Petit Bouche" soundhole compare to the "Grand Bouche" of your other LFdM tenor? A sound sample comparison would be very interesting...

Laouik
12-24-2014, 03:20 AM
You're going to have some happy holidays indeed! How does that "Petit Bouche" soundhole compare to the "Grand Bouche" of your other LFdM tenor? A sound sample comparison would be very interesting...

I can make a comparison video, though the woods are different and there are improvements in the latest one (lighter bridge, etc.).

Edgeguy
12-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Very beautiful Uke!