Banjo ukulele identification help

posting pics, but now they are gone. hmmm.
031_zps73a36604.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yeah I'm not sure if I'm doing something I'm not supposed to, but my threads and posts aren't staying up. If I am someone just let me know. Anyways, heres the story. We got this for my dad for xmas and know that it is old and has alot of charm. Would love to know more about it so we can give him some background when he gets it on thursday. There are no names or models to identify it, but the inlay, markers and binding might be helpful, and the tuners are quite unique. Any clues from you experts?

nobody seen anything like it? I really have no knowledge of these. It doesn't matter in regards to value or anything like that, really would just like to narrow down an age. Its got alot of fine checking and the rosewood headstock looks really old and aged, kindof like brazilian too??? Hopefully someone can provide some insight.

wow, I'm kindof surprised nobody has any inkling. I thought the headstock inlay, fret markers and tuners might point to something. The original owner believed it was pre-40's, and I'm not seeing anything to rule that out. Are there any other pictures you guys might want me to take that will be of more help? cheers.

Jonesy something is seriously wrong with this thread. I know you started it but I have the first post. When others posted on it their posts disappeared. I think a moderator needs to look at this one.

Jonesy this thread is still bonkers but I think you may have a Keech. If so Keech was the first to make a banjo-uke and the name banjulele is a Keech trademark. They were introduced in 1916 or 1917. I think they were made until 1929 or so. there should be some patent numbers or evidence that a plate with patent numbers was once there. show us the backside of the resonator and don't get so close when you take the picture. How does it sound?

There are many of the early banjo-ukes with the ring type front instead of hooks ( i prefer the hooks myself )...Im not sure what this one is...but i don't think Keech made the ' ring front ' style.

yeah I don't know what is going on with the thread. Here are some more pics. THere doesn't appear to be any marks for plates or serials, and no indication of tampering or refinishing. I don't really have a frame of reference for tone, but it is fun and makes me smile, and as a guitarist that is what is important to me:)[/URL][/IMG]
002_zps2c64d2c1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
007_zps1f93776f.jpg
003_zps650ac04f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks like fun. When trying to take closeups always look for a tulip setting on your camera. Sometimes its on a dial other times its a button or toggle press.

Macro_icon.jpg

This is the universal symbol for macro, it allows the camera to take closeups. This function varies widely between cameras but they almost all have it available nowadays.

I like the heel at the back of the headstock, sexy.

~AL~

Sorry, cant help with the provenance of this instrument... but it has a number of nice little sophistications to it (stripes on the back of the neck, shape of the head, inlays on the fretboard).

Laouik,

Agreed, which led me to believe it was well made because they add alot of work for a luthier.

Now we simply expect you to make music videos like this with it:

Great video...............and if anyone out there is wondering what/who the dancers are.
They are Morris dancers.......... a traditional English ritual dance.
Don't know who these guys are but great to see the tradition evolving; I play button accordion for the Toronto Morris men and we don't look much like the video boys!

That is a very nicely made uke The inlays on the headstock are very fancy almost Vega Style !920s but the Headstock is a Martin Style. Looks like a 6" pot. Interesting construction of the pot too. Any Idea what kind of metal it is? Can't tell what the red color is where the scoring for the tail piece is. Is there any Identifying marks on the tailpiece. The bridge appears to be a modern grover. Tone rim might be mahogany neck might be Walnut. I'm no wood expert.
Jonesy your pictures are much better. I'm gone til the weekend. If somebody has not figuredit out by then I'll start again. You might post the pictures at BHO http://www.banjohangout.org/ If your not a member join that way the subforums are available to you. Jim Yates might have an idea.

Happy Christmas

thanks bud, will do. Would really love to know more about it and will check out the other place. thanks and merry xmas to you to!!!!

Top Bottom