Best strings for Kala, solid cedar top with acacia body, tenor? Worth or…?

tenniscoach

Reaction score
I just bought the Kala, solid cedar top with acacia body TENOR.
I do like ukes with a rich, warm sound, would you recommend stringing my Kala with the Worth BT Brown strings, with a LOW G string? People love the Worth strings. If so, is $15 a good price. Where do ukers get a good deal on strings?
Cheers! Back to practicing…another 123,000 hours to go.

I'm a big fan of worth browns, so...

Though I've never had a cedar topped uke. Give 'em a go, if they suit your ear keep 'em, if not try something else.

$15 is reasonable - Worths are long enough that you get two sets out of each string pack.

Thanks River Driver,
Two sets from one pack, can't beat that!

Now does the Worth BT + low G string pack come with four strings and one low G string OR THREE strings and on low G string?
B/C what if I don't like the low G string, I would like the option of putting the regular high G string back.

Thank you for your advice and the links!
Now, I want to find a few good uke practice books, recommendations?
With a CD/DVD would be a nice bonus.

I used the Hal Leonard Ukulele Method books by Lil Rev when I was starting on uke...but I had background in guitar and really just used them for reference until I got my pins under me.

I'll leave other folks to chime in with their favorites. Cheers!

Hi Ubulele,
Thanks for the input, please let me know if you find a string that works up and down the neck.
I'm a newbie so I will take your lead until I can get in many many more hours of play time on my uke.
Happy holidays!

Living Waters, Fremont Blackline

At the risk of sounding redundant, the Aquila whites were the best I ever tried on either of my Kala ukes. I have the reds on one of them now, and I don't like them, too quiet. I'm changing them to Martins.
Elderly Music, Just Strings....good prices!

I have a cedar top, acacia sides Pono. I didn't like the strings on it, so I changed it to D'addario Nyltech stings and I love their mellow sound on this particular uke.

Last edited:
Give PhD Strings a shot. Jason's doing a good thing with these strings, and I'm lucky enough to live close to LA to see him at USpace and get his strings... my KoAlana concert tuned to B sounds so mellow it's ridiculous!
http://www.ukulelecreations.com/Accessories.html
(if the website is correct, paying $10 for a set w/ tax, S&H included is pretty much the same price as going up to USpace and grabbing a set from him in person)
To stay in a lower range for that mellow sound (linear tuning, low G/low 4th, gives you that mellow sound but the 1st string is usually pretty high) you can get a set made for re-entrant A or B tuning (high 4th) which will give you that warm, mellow sound you're looking for without a high melody string sticking out... look around Dirk's website (southcoastukes) and read up a bit on how they string ukes... it's really interesting and educating to say the least! http://www.southcoastukes.com/string sets.htm

Forgot to add: I mainly use Strings By Mail for my bulk orders of CG and uke strings... they're really reliable, even though they have a different/smaller assortment of strings for ukes compared to Elderly or otherwise. I live in SoCal and yet I can get a shipment from them in Michigan in 2-3 business days for only $3.99... check it out: https://www.stringsbymail.com/shopping-cart/

Last edited:
Rich and warm will mean different things to different people. If you really want "warm", I will second the Bb tuning or even DGBE . If you don't want to tune down, I will 3rd the Fremont Black lines. I will also 2nd the PhD strings, while not a "warm" string per say, they are such an incredibly balanced, articulate and rich (to me) string. In general, nylon strings will give you a warmer sound over fluorocarbon though.

I will give you a link to a video string comparison MGM did back in 2012. Eight string sets (offered by HMS) are tested on the same uke, not actual uke but model. It will give you an idea of the difference between Nylon and Fluorocarbon strings though. The second half of the video MGM will play closer together doing a "blind" test for you, so you can just decide based on sound what you might prefer. He will list the strings at the end so you will know which you like the most. A good tip is to write down the time that a couple sets are played (in that second half,) then you can click back and forth, you will really hear the sound difference that way versus just listening through and trying to remember the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjJ1L-QzHCY

Thanks for the advice!
Where can I buy the Living Waters, Fremont Blackline? Elderly doesn't carry them.
Maybe it doesn't make a difference, but I have the Kala solid cedar top with acacia tenor uke.

Top Bottom