Christmas / Birthday Ukulele - LFDM

Dan Uke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I got this uke some time ago but introducing it now since it's my Christmas / Birthday gift. The rose inlay represents my wife's family as her grandma, mom, sister, my daughter, all have Rose in their name. Oddly enough, my wife doesn't since she was the second daughter but she sees herself as a Rose too. Luis' wife is named Rose so there is definitely a connection.

This is the first petite bouche Luis made so I was a guinea pig but I had complete trust in Luis. There is a lot of purfling and the arm bevel is very comfortable.

Wood choice is sinker redwood top / milo back and side / koa bindings

3S2B9770.jpg3S2B9776.jpg3S2B9788.jpg3S2B9777.jpg3S2B9780.jpg

3S2B9775.jpg3S2B9778.jpg3S2B9787.jpg3S2B9790.jpg3S2B9781.jpg

More Pics.

Here's a sound sample shot on an iphone. I had dual mics set up but somehow screwed it up so this is audio from the iphone.

Last edited:
Very nice. I saw it in Luis's workshop when I went down at one point. The rose inlay is lovely, and you certainly got a very choice piece of Milo there. It's an LFdM Christmas for a few of us :)

Very, very nice. And I hope I get to see it in person sometime. And happy birthday!

Aloha Dan, merry Christmas are you a Capricorn? Awesome uke, wow you sure have the best congratulations happy strummings

Congratulations, happy birthday and Merry Christmas! That's a lovely looking and sounding ukulele, and the story behind the rose inlay is very cool.

Congratulations on your uke and Merry Christmas Daniel.

Beautiful Daniel! Great pictures. Lovely sound sample. I just realized yours has no zero fret. Was that the first uke Luis made with no zero fret?

Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas! :)

Wow, oh wow....this is one of the few uke pics that have made me say wow, wow , wow, oh wow! What an eye catchng uke! I love the stretch soundhole. And the headstock is very very pretty. The wood on the back is like wow....
Did I say it wows me?
I wish this dumb cheap craptop would play videos....
Congratulations! I hppe we get a review, you know, the rest of the story...

Congratulations Daniel! Thanks for kicking off the LFdM Petite Bouche. That Milo is beautiful, the rose inlay, arm bevel... okay everything about it. And I like that the zero fret is gone too!

Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas. You're becoming quite an accomplished player as well. I really enjoy your videos.

Best regards,
Don

Good eye. I think Luis has made big improvements that are quite noticeable compared to his earlier ones. First, he uses 1 3/8th' nut space vs. 1.5" nut. Also, the original ones had a zero fret and no guide nut, which was a problem when you bend the strings. He added a guide nut but I personally didn't like the zero fret as intonation was a little off at the first fret. Since strings have different diameter, I believe the depth of the slot should be different. Most importantly, his top thickness is slightly different so sound has improved imo. Finally, finish is so much nicer. I spoke with Jen, who also got two and she likes her second one better and Len has seen many that have gone through HMS.

Kudos to Luis for constantly improving as he's only made about 50 ukes.

Last edited:
Good eye. I think Luis has made big improvements that are quite noticeable compared to his earlier ones. First, he uses 1 3/8th' nut space vs. 1.5" nut. Also, the original ones had a zero fret and no guide nut, which was a problem when you bend the strings. He added a guide nut but I personally didn't like the zero fret as intonation was a little off at the first fret. Since strings have different diameter, I believe the depth of the slot should be different. Most importantly, his top thickness is slightly different so sound has improved imo. Finally, finish is so much nicer. I spoke with Jen, who also got two and she likes her second one better and Len has seen many that have gone through HMS.

Kudos to Luis for constantly improving as he's only made about 50 ukes.

Nice Daniel....

yeah I got my Lfdm from Luis on Monday..it is non-cutaway and a solid headstock with binding and purfling on the headstock...
mine is Bastogne Walnut with a Carpathian Spruce top...

yes mine has no zero fret either and I think Jen left it off of hers too...personal preference IMO

I agree but am no expert...that Luis's work has improved with every build and he has it down now(or getting close) I like how he asked me if I can give him any feedback to make his ukes better...:)...the fit and finish very,very nice....:) the tone is top notch too

I am so glad to have met Luis and to work with him...he is a man who builds and thinks with his wonderful Heart....

btw I will have a sound sample with Corey...when Andrew gets back from a much deserved vacation...

Merry Xmas Daniel...:)

Last edited:
Merry Christmas Daniel,

WOW!!!! Really nice! Thanks for sharing it with us ... you must be so pleased ... Luis' attention to detail and quality are amazing!

Len's Uke is equally gorgeous ... hoping for a sound sample Len when you get to it! I know you are busy ...

I am getting something similar in April 2015 ... Sinker Redwood with Malaysian Blackwood back and sides ...

Very happy for you.

Top Bottom