Building a Uke out of a Whisky Barrel ?

Ukador

Reaction score
Hello there !

At the moment I am planning to order a custom Soprano Ukulele and I wonder if it is possible to build a Uke out of a Whisky barrel. At least the back and the sides should be made of that barrel.

I would like to know if that even is possible and what kind of sound you guys would expect ?

Thank you in advance
Daniel

Here's a folding chair and bistro table that I made from a wine barrel. In general, oak makes better furniture than tone wood, but it could be done.

wine-barrel-chair-table.jpg

What sort of sound would you get from a whiskey barrel ?

You have asked for this and you deserve it and yourrre jolly weel gayin' ta geyt i'..

Sing "Ye tak the hay rood an' ahll tak' the low rood an I'll be in Glasgae afore ye...etc"

In my experience anyway.

Hopefully LOL by the way

Last edited:
I'd be afraid that everything would start to sound like "Roll Out The Barrel," or "The Beer Barrel Polka." That would be so embarrassing! :rolleyes:

Seems to me like the notes and chords would be slurred...

It is....wow that could change the future of uke building....they might cost a lot less, if we decide we don't have to have expensive wood like koa and rosewood....we'd never run out of wood, palets usually get ground up into mulch.

Nothing wrong with oak tonally, but there's a good deal of ignorant resistance to it. Roger Bucknall at Fylde uses whisky barrels for one range of instruments.
http://www.fyldeguitars.com/sm_ariel.html

Right, I saw and heard my first oak uke (I called it an oakulele) last week, and it sounded as good as any mahogany uke I've ever heard, and was actually prettier.

I wonder how long it would take the wood to "dry out". It's certainly worth a "shot". yuk yuk yuk
Oak is ok for wood but finishing whiskey oak would be very difficult......it's already "plastered". yuk yuk yuk

Top Bottom