recording some "test ukes"

Pippin

Reaction score
I have been recording a bit with "test" ukuleles for Ukulele Player Magazine.

Here is a recording of my song Blue Waters with the Ohana BK-20ce baritone uke and an Oscar Schmidt OU2e (new version with UK-2000 electronics), Ibanez bass guitar, two vocal tracks. I recorded the tune on a ZOOM MRS4 digital recorder and mixed the two vocal tracks together.

Oscar Schmidt is working on greatly improving quality after moving operations to a new manufacturing facility. They have upgraded electronics in several models and now offer a line of solid wood ukuleles (including an Hawaiian Koa model with hardshell case (msrp $900).

Here is the file location:

http://www.tricornpublications.com/music/bluewaters.mp3

Sounds awesome! Recordings are a great way to supplement a review.

Also glad to hear that Oscar Schmidt is getting its act together. Their ukes are all you can find in the chain stores most of the time, and only one in ten is any good. A lot of new players on UU who have Schmidts seem to have intonation problems right off the bat. Hopefully their quality and consistency will improve enough to compete with the better ukes in their price range (Kala, Ohana, Mainland, etc).

There are several professional quality instruments in their fleet now. It's just that people don't know about them.

I tweaked the mix a bit. I discovered that there was an extra uke track in there that was slightly distorted... a virtual track that ended up in the mix. oops. I brought up the vocals a bit and also dropped that one track.

I might record again just for kicks.

Top Bottom