Humidifier Advice Needed

VegasGeorge

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have a Ukulele cabinet being made to fit a wall niche in my new house. The Uke display area will be approximately 67 X 62 X 23 inches. The Ukes will hang in there on hooks arranged on a slat wall in the back of the cabinet. That comes out to about 53 cubic feet of display space. My question is: How should I plan on humidifying the area? I've read on the Taylor Guitar website that a large sponge soaked in water and exposed to the air inside the cabinet is a "perfect" solution. If so, that's unbelievably simple and easy. But I have my doubts. Have any of you tried humidifying a large area such as I'm talking about? What is your experience, and what would you recommend?

Last edited:
Having to humidify 30 ukes in a larger space, including packing 8 to a plastic "condo", I have found the cheap DIY options to be the best. I use plastic containers filled with water storing crystals and they do an excellent job - no mold and the crystals simply need to be hydrated after a week or two.

When I had a uke cabinet, I used some if the humidifying gel crystals in little containers - I got mine in Amazon but cigar stores may have them too. They were a little bigger than 35mm film canisters. I also placed a hygrometer in the cabinet as well as one in the same room outside the cabinet, so I could constantly monitor the humidity inside and refill the canisters with water as needed.

A hygrometer is a must. I recommend the caliber IV, by all accounts it's the most accurate of the cheap consumer models.

The water storing crystals I use I got from Home Depot, made by miracle gro. You'll find them in the plants department, they are used to keep soil hydrated.

Posting just to tidy up the thread. The cabinet is in place and a big success. I use two Pyrex lasagna dishes filled with water beads for the humidity source. I have calibrated digital hygrometers on each side of the cabinet interior, attached about half way up. It's been a while now, and I have no trouble keeping the humidity between 55 and 65 percent.

I converted a shelf into a uke cabinet. I added plexiglass doors and sealed all the edges inside with weather sealing tape. Then I put two trays on the bottom shelf filled with water and covers that I slide to expose more or less water surface depending on the current humidity that the two hygrometers inside show. I'll even remove the trays when the humidy gets really high. It averages 42-57% humidity all the time.

1 Shelf.jpg

Thanks. I was originally inspired by a post by wickedwahine11, but procrastinated on it over a year ago when suddenly during a dry spell here in Los Angeles, the top of one of my solids cracked from the bridge down to the tail. Made me finish it quickly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom