What's your dream guitar?

NeciaPL

Reaction score
Are you keen on guitar? What's your dream guitar and what's your currently guitar? I have Takamine eg523sc and cheaper Aria. I want Lakewood custom with koa like this lakewood07_01.jpg

I'm fortunate to own my dream guitar, by Allan Beardsell:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Beardsell 10.jpg
    Beardsell 10.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 170
I'm fortunate to own my dream guitar, by Allan Beardsell:

attachment.php

This is wonderful guitar, headstock look great :D I never hear about this luthier. How it sound? Is it bright or wormer?

one with string spacing like a tenor ukulele would be nice.

Nice looking. Is it as big as it looks? Still my dream guitar is the used baritone sized guitar that I bought from Thomas on this board. It plays so easily and has allowed me to actually learn how to play and feel comfortable doing it. What a great builder he is. I think he's in the UK now but not building?

I have not heard about Allan Beardsell nor his lady Cate Friesen for many years. Alan was a great mandolin player as well as guitar builder. He had an emerald green F-style mando that was one of his earlier builds. Cate is a super singer/songwriter who had a weekly radio program on CJRT before they went to an all jazz format. The last time I saw her she was playing a guitar just like the one pictured above.
Are they still around and performing? Their son Sam must be a teenager by now.

I own my dream guitar. It's the 1962 D-21 that I bought/traded for about 35 years ago. I will never sell/trade it.
D-21.jpg

Last edited:
My dream guitar is a Gibson Hummingbird.

I love my current guitar. It's an Alvarez. I will never give it up and I would like to learn more about it. My dad bought it, from a friend, in the early 80's for my sister. She lost interest in it, so he played it for a while. He bought me a Mexican Fender Strat (that I still have). Then Dad gave me the Alvarez. It's the Cadillac of all the guitars in my house... Which is quite a few. It is beautiful and has Yairi's signature inside it. My dad passed away a couple years ago and this guitar is very special to me. My Alvarez is truly my dream guitar. But I'd still like a Gibson Hummingbird.

My dream guitar is a Martin Simpson Signature guitar by Stefan Sobell in Hexam England.

http://www.sobellguitars.com/martin-simpson-signature-model/

Stefan is an absolute master builder. I already own a cittern he built (a large mandolin type instrument used in Celtic music.) I got the honor to play one of his guitars when I visited many years ago. It was the single most magnificent sounding instrument I've ever played. And I loved he feel of it.

Now all I need to do is find a way to get the big bucks his guitars cost. Sadly, a Sobell guitar would be wasted on someone like me. it would be like giving my grandmother a Corvette. I am not a good enough guitarist to even approach the capabilities of such a fine guitar.

But I can dream.

I have been hankering for an acoustic archtop. I have been casually looking for a 1932 Gibson L5, with not much luck. The Parker archtops are extremely interesting, but I'm not sure that I could justify the price tag.

Ironically, I recently found this video with both instruments together:

I recently came across these 15" archtops by Weber, which may be what the doctor ordered...

http://webermandolins.com/instruments/arch-top-guitars

Had a Hohner 1960's dreadnaught for almost half a century that matched up to anything with six strings I found along the way. The older it gets, the better it sounds. Gave it to my 15year-old granddaughter earlier this year, as she's a heckuva picker already and I spend my guitar time now with tenor guitars. She makes it sing better than I ever did, or maybe it's just the joy of seeing and hearing her with my old (and her new) friend.

Had a Hohner 1960's dreadnaught for almost half a century that matched up to anything with six strings I found along the way. The older it gets, the better it sounds. Gave it to my 15year-old granddaughter earlier this year, as she's a heckuva picker already and I spend my guitar time now with tenor guitars. She makes it sing better than I ever did, or maybe it's just the joy of seeing and hearing her with my old (and her new) friend.

That's awesome you passed it down. She'll probably pass it down to her children or grandchildren. I plan on passing my guitars to my daughter. She can have my Strat as soon as she shows interest. Right now, she has enough instruments to focus on.

I am fortunate enough to own my dream guitar, a Taylor 2000 K-14c, cedar top, koa back and sides. Several years ago, I joined the Taylor Guitar Forum (which later became the Acoustic Guitar Forum). We gathered 1 or 2 times per year for several years for guitar jams. I met a guitar player there who owned the K-14c. At the jams, since everyone was a Taylor guitar owner, we passed the guitars around so everyone played everyone's guitar. I told my new friend that if he ever wanted to sell that guitar to call me first. He told me he never would sell it, but lucky me, 4 years later he had other guitars and other plans so he decided to sell it. I sold my Martin D18-12 12 string and purchased this K-14c. It is hands down the best guitar I ever played.

Right now one of these. This isn't mine, mine is prettier and has a Bob Colosi bone nut and saddle plus an inlaid blue paua "OM" on ebony truss rod cover. I'm trying not to negotiate with Rich for this.

My dream guitar would be a Gibson Super 200. I sold my Gibson Dove and ES-335 a couple of years ago so I could buy more ukuleles which I may forever regret doing. I now have a Gibson J-200 and Gibson Robert Johnson and Carvin CL450 nylon string and just recently traded my 71 Princeton Reverb for a Breedlove C25/CR H pro series which was a pretty fair trade for both of us. I've got 2 teles and 1 strat and a couple of others. I sold off most of my expensive ukuleles except for a few because I still play a little, and I realized how stupid I was wasting my money and buying a bunch of cool ukes which will probably not hold their value once this craze is over.

I gave up searching for the dream guitar years ago. And dream violin, dream bass, dream mandolin, dream synth...

These days I am quite satisfied to make music on just about anything. It is quite a revelation when the joy shifts from the instrument to the music!

I gave up searching for the dream guitar years ago. And dream violin, dream bass, dream mandolin, dream synth...

These days I am quite satisfied to make music on just about anything. It is quite a revelation when the joy shifts from the instrument to the music!
Quite. Wonderful instruments are wonderful. Affordable and available instruments are useful. In photography forums are many discussions of what lens is 'best' in a situation. My answer: it's the one you use. The OK lens on your camera is better than the masterpiece you left home. Same with instruments. The Martin Backpacker that I can just squeeze into my overpacked car for a long trip is better than a Martin 000 (if I had one!) that I was afraid to take traveling.

Sometimes (gasp!) I am without my own stringed instrument and I must borrow. I'm at a party. Somebody has a washtub bass, another a kazoo, and there is ONE old Yamaha student classical to pass around. We take turns, adjust the tuning (if we're sober enough), play the hell out of it, and pass it along. The music is a joy. I sing my signature faux-Hawai'ian piece KAHUNA BAY and the bass and kazoo are right there with me. I play that Bach gavotte solo without too many buzzes, and pass it on. Great fun!

Instruments don't make music. People make music. Instruments help. If I swapped guitars with Leo Kottke, who would sound better? (Hint: not me!)

Sure, I'd drool over a great tricone resophonic, or some luthier's masterpiece, or an antique cittern. How many liquor stores must I knock over to able to afford one? Maybe I'll just concentrate on getting the best sounds possible out of what I own.

Or maybe I'll get lucky and a dream will fall into my hands. Could happen. Right. ;)

I wouldn't mind a nice D-18, but I already have my dream guitar, a 1995 Marc Beneteau flattop, rosewood/spruce/ebony with a couple of personal inlays. Second to that is a 2008 Joshua House cutaway, mahogany/spruce/ziricote. Both are awesome guitars. Anytime I get horny for a new guitar I go home and realize that I already have equal or greater guitars.

www.beneteauguitars.com

www.houseguitars.com

Top Bottom