NUD - Camp Uke

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
Reaction score
My darling wife got me a Camp Uke for Christmas.

CU - full.jpg CU - headstock.jpg

I believe it is “Lyon Healy Camp Uke” from what I could find. They were made in the 30’s & 40’s. It has the number 7240 on the neck block so is probably a later one.

CU - crack.jpg CU - back.jpg

It came without tuners (I had a couple sets already), two cracks by the sound hole and some separation on the back. I have made a uke before and have worked with hot hide glue so this isn’t that big of deal

CU - Bridge height.jpg

I put some used strings on it and was pleased to find that the frets were fine. No buzzing at all. The action is a bit high up the neck. The strings are at 5mm at the 12th fret. Since I won’t be selling my wife’s gift I will probably shave down the bridge to get the strings down some.

It has plenty of “warts and all” which adds to its character. KVL decided to put a decal on the neck and Rob scratched his name on the back. It definitely sounds more like a banjolele that a standard uke. It should be lots of fun. I told my wife that I now need a canoe and a straw hat! Maybe next year.

If anyone can point me towards someone with more info on this uke, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Now, that's different! First one I've ever seen (pics of). Congratulations!

cool. How did she know to get you that uke? Did you give her clues?

Quite the opposite. I'm not really a fan of banjoleles or vintage ukes. I just got lucky in love.

I have to admit that the sound and history of these camp ukes is pretty neat.

I would check with Jake Wildwood of Antebellum Instruments before you cut down the bridge...hes an expert on restoring these little beauties. He adds a 2nd rod to the neck to correct neck angle. Check out his blog.

Top Bottom