Ukulele Scales

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been wondering how necessary it is to learn scales when starting out (if ever)? I've been wanting to learn blues on ukulele and from what little guitar knowledge I have I know you need to learn the minor and major pentatonic scales to be any good at blues on guitar but I don't know if it's the same on ukulele.

Also do I need to learn scales for other genres?

Thanks.

Blues is blues. I play scales both by ear and with the dratted tabs. Doing so enables me to fingerpick, using music or playing by ear. I'm a big believer in scales. I play them on all my instruments. Arpeggios are great too. They teach one to hop around the fretboard with ease. As far as I am concerned, one must know where the notes are on whatever instrument he attempts to play.

How are ya gonna play blues if ya don't know the blues scales? :eek:ld:

Thanks,

Also do you know a resource to learn Uke scales one octave at a time?

I was very reticent to learn scales and only recently started to practice with them. I wish I would have sucked it up and practiced them sooner. I have progressed so much more in this short period, especially in finger dexterity and strength. So, yes, practice those scales, you will eventually be glad you did.

Last edited:
Question.,under the ionian mode, why do you call it A major scale, A#/Bb major scale and etc....
Search out ubulele's posts or PM him. He's real good about this sort of thing. Even better start a new thread. Be sure your title asks the question you want to know.
Blues is blues. I play scales both by ear and with the dratted tabs. Doing so enables me to fingerpick, using music or playing by ear. I'm a big believer in scales. I play them on all my instruments. Arpeggios are great too. They teach one to hop around the fretboard with ease. As far as I am concerned, one must know where the notes are on whatever instrument he attempts to play.

How are ya gonna play blues if ya don't know the blues scales? :eek:ld:
This is absolutely right. Actually your ears have to know what the notes of the scales are not necessarily your head. Your fingers will pick it up on their own and move you to the right notes after while. Knowledge of what notes are in the different scales is not to be sneezed at. If you don't play the wrong notes, ie the notes not in the scale, you can get by. Most scales have more right notes than wrong notes. I do not practice scales per say, I noodle them.

Dick: What's an arpeggio?

IamnoMan, it's the I-III-V-(I) notes of every scale-all octaves. Playing them with a little speed up and down the octaves helps one to become comfortable with where the notes are. There's other uses for them too. Each one also makes a chord for instance. Also, they're fun to play: Play them C-E-G-C, E-G-C-E, up and down. Always play scales and arpeggios down too. Play them minor too (i.e. C-Eb-G) etc.

Well, gotta go now--lunch. I try never to be late for lunch, and of course I never miss any meal. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
I have been playing a little over a year. I know a couple scales(movable major scale and the movable pentatonic scale) though I rarely use either tbh. Partly because I am afraid of soloing. I am working on my fingerpicking so someday might not feel so bad about them darned solos.

http://youtu.be/gizvWMppqyY

I've been playing uke for about 4 months. My ears and fingers are still finding out what sound is where, on the ukulele. I habitually run up or down the scale to transition between chords. Anybody should be able to figure out the scale pretty quickly. Non-musicians say ooohh! he/she is really good. Its a trick. it usually works. Sometimes you learn to do a chromatic scale rather than a diatonic scale, say for Mr Bojangles or Alabama Jubilee.

I hated learning scales and theory, when I took piano lessons. Then took more to it when I picked up guitar. I also use to participate at some accoustic jams and always was insecure about knowing the Circle of 5ths. I always figured it out but I'm still insecure about it.

Whenever someone asks me about scales and theory, I always try to encourage someone to just do it, even if it's not so fun. I say, "You've gotta eat your meat & potatoes."

Last edited:
Top Bottom