Super Snark tuner accuracy/Kala KA-C intonation issues

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone who's used the "Super Snark" tuner has had issues with its accuracy. I've used it on my Kala KA-C and it seems like from the 7th fret down the tune is about a quarter step sharp. It shouldn't be too big an issue but I was just wondering if the tuning is slightly off even though the snark says it's right, or, if the Kala KA-C does have intonation issues.

The strings on the Kala are Aquilas by the way.

Thanks.

if a snark tuner says your off, it's pretty off as I feel that they are very forgiving in pitch.

Thanks

Are there any tuners that you would recommend over the snark?

Snarks are very good tuners. I've never heard of problems with them. But, I don't understand the question. Are you saying the ukulele sounds out of tune when the tuner says it's right? Are you saying it's in tune up to the seventh fret, but sounds out of tune beyond that? Or is the problem that the tuner says it's out beyond the seventh fret although it sounds fine to you?

Snarks are very good tuners. I've never heard of problems with them. But, I don't understand the question. Are you saying the ukulele sounds out of tune when the tuner says it's right? Are you saying it's in tune up to the seventh fret, but sounds out of tune beyond that? Or is the problem that the tuner says it's out beyond the seventh fret although it sounds fine to you?

The tuner says the strings are in tune when played open. Then I tried playing a song that requires you to play at the 10th fret on the A string and it sounded slightly out of tune. I stuck on the tuner, played the A string at the 10th fret and it was a 1/4-1/3 step sharp (according to the tuner). I played around and figured from the 7th fret the intonation runs slightly sharp. I don't know if this is an issue with the tuner or the uke (or the strings for that matter). I was wondering if anyone had the same problem with the Kala KA-C or the tuner.

Let me clarify my answer, snarks are not as sensitive as other tuners, which is good in my opinion. I can't remember the name of the tuner I used in the past. Now I use the Istrobesoft Peterson app when I play by myself but use the micro NS Tuner, which is the similar to the Snark but smaller.

As for the pitch being sharper, it could be the action is too high so it goes sharp as you go up the fretboard, you press too hard, or you are bending the strings as you press. Could be several factors and hard to tell without looking at the uke.

Last edited:
Let me clarify my answer, snarks are not as sensitive as other tuners, which is good in my opinion. I can't remember the name of the tuner I used in the past. Now I use the Istrobesoft Peterson app when I play by myself but use the micro NS Tuner, which is the similar to the Snark but smaller.

As for the pitch being sharper, it could be the action is too high so it goes sharp as you go up the fretboard, you press too hard, or you are bending the strings as you press. Could be several factors and hard to tell without looking at the uke.

Daniel has explained it very well. In a nut shell it is most likely the uke that has the problems and not the snark tuner.

As
for the pitch being sharper, it could be the action is too high so it goes sharp as you go up the fretboard, you press too hard, or you are bending the strings as you press. Could be several factors and hard to tell without looking at the uke.

That was my thought.

When I buy ukes from a shop (as opposed to online) I usually try to check them at the 7th & 12th frets for intonation issues. It's also worth checking 1st or 2nd fret to ensure intonation is OK at the nut.

The tuner says the strings are in tune when played open. Then I tried playing a song that requires you to play at the 10th fret on the A string and it sounded slightly out of tune. I stuck on the tuner, played the A string at the 10th fret and it was a 1/4-1/3 step sharp (according to the tuner). I played around and figured from the 7th fret the intonation runs slightly sharp. I don't know if this is an issue with the tuner or the uke (or the strings for that matter). I was wondering if anyone had the same problem with the Kala KA-C or the tuner.

Your Snark is fine. A different tuner will not give you better results. I have owned six Kalas. They look nice, play pretty well, sound okay... That's about it. I've never played one with acceptable intonation. That's your problem. For the discriminating ear, Kalas are not intended to be played beyone the first few frets.

Hello

It sounds definitely like ukulele problem.

A quick way to check intonation: Hit 12th fret harmonics and then fret 12th fret. The pitch should be same. You can listen to it, or use your tuner.

Do that on all four strings.

Cheers
Chief

stevepetergal wrote:
For the discriminating ear, Kalas are not intended to be played beyone the first few frets.

I think that's being just a little over-dramatic ;)

My Kala KA-C is perfectly good up past the seventh fret ... I don't play it higher than that usually, but checking it just now with a tuner does show it going slightly sharp at the 10th fret and beyond, but not excessively so. It's still got it's original Aquila strings on it. I have lowered the action slightly, at the saddle and the nut, so that would have had some effect. I suspect that's probably all that's necessary on the OP's instrument. My strings are about 3-3.5mm (just over 1/8") clear at the 12th fret, if that's any help :)

if a snark tuner says your off, it's pretty off as I feel that they are very forgiving in pitch.

All the really cheap tuners are, because the large majority of them are made with the same chip, from the same factory. I think the Snark has the standard range of +/- 1 cent, so when you have the tuner set at A=440, anything from 439-441 is considered "in tune."

Only headstock tuner that is more accurate (that I know of), is the Peterson StroboClip, which has a range of +/- .1 cent, keeping everything within 439.9 and 440.1.

And even then, headstock tuners have varying levels of effectiveness depending on where the tuner is located on the headstock. Anything involving intonation up the fretboard I'd put up against an actual plug in tuner (or one that you can use a microphone with).

All the really cheap tuners are, because the large majority of them are made with the same chip, from the same factory. I think the Snark has the standard range of +/- 1 cent, so when you have the tuner set at A=440, anything from 439-441 is considered "in tune."

Only headstock tuner that is more accurate (that I know of), is the Peterson StroboClip, which has a range of +/- .1 cent, keeping everything within 439.9 and 440.1.

And even then, headstock tuners have varying levels of effectiveness depending on where the tuner is located on the headstock. Anything involving intonation up the fretboard I'd put up against an actual plug in tuner (or one that you can use a microphone with).

You beat me to it Monkey. I was going to say pretty much the same. I've found Snarks a bit better than average...............but location on the headstock will effect any tuner. In this case, seems like a uke problem.

Top Bottom