I Bought My First Ukulele Today

DSmusic

Reaction score
After many months of talking about it, I finally did it.

Its a Kala KA SCG (solid spruce concert gloss). And let me tell you, it is beautiful.
I spent a little more than I wanted to because I got a gig bag, extra strings and guitar strings. But I am very happy with my purchase.

I was debating between a tenor or a concert for quite some time. And when I went to the store and played them, the decision wasn't any easier for me. One had more playability (because it was bigger) and one sounded way better to me.
They only had one tenor in the store and the finish was very cheap looking and it just didn't feel smooth. So I put it down and played the Kala KA concert. I struggled a little bit at first to play certain chords but after a few minutes I was already getting the hang of it. So I bought it. And now I can't stop playing it. Haha

Congratulations and welcome to the club of Ukulele players ;)

You can't go wrong with a Kala nor with a concert Ukulele.

Congrats! I have a Kala solid spruce concert and love it! After you get used to it, try some different strings and see if there are some that make it sound even better! It can be fun to experiment, and often the results are surprising. I currently have Worth brown mediums on mine and they sound great. Results vary by uke, and mine has spalted maple back and sides, so that affects tone too. Have fun!

A first Ukulele, how exciting! I wish you many happy years of strumming. One thing I'm amazed by is the seemingly unending variations in playing styles on the Ukulele. What fun to be just starting out and having all those choices in ahead of you. Just keep playing (hate that nasty old word "practice") and let the Uke lead you in the right direction.

Welcome and congratulations on the first Uke. It was a good choice. Be careful though, they are like salted peanuts. You can't have just one!

Great choice for a starter. Nice sounding instruments. I prefer the concert size myself, but own and play the "big three" (still don't have a pocket type uke or a bari)

Good for you! My first proper ukulele was solid spruce top concert. Playing with nails or pads of fingers - it can sound sweetly soft or clear and bright. Experiment with different playing styles and enjoy!

Last edited:
Congrats on getting a nice first uke. A good uke make playing so much more enjoyable. Post some pics if you have time.

Thanks for welcoming me into the ukulele world everyone. :)
I've literally been playing all day. Once I got over the hump of struggling a little bit, and was able to actually play stuff that sounds good, i just couldn't put it down. Haha.
I already learned some cool leads for Hotel California and I'm able to play some things I already know on guitar.
Its just so much fun. And so portable.

Does anyone have any song suggestions I could learn. Preferably classic rock or folk .
Thanks

First uke huh? Betcha it won't be your last. I think you made a good choice to acquire a mid-range uke rather than a "Beginner" Uke. I gave my nephew an inexpensive uke for xmas. When I tuned it for him I couldn't help but notice the intonation deteriorated after about 6 frets. Good enough for a 16 year old who doesn't play anything else. When I am learning a new instrument I'm much happier to know I made the mistake rather than be blindsided by a uke that sounds wrong due to construction limitations.

Top Bottom