Jazz: concert or tenor?

kafkapenguin

Reaction score
New to the Uke, but sting player for 50 years. I want to explore Jazz standards on the Uke. Concert or Tenor? Opinions?

thank you for your response.

rusty

Or soprano, or baritone.

It's which suits you. You can play jazz on any size of uke, it's about the player not the instrument.

I don't think the size makes much difference, I mean, of course they are "different" but which is more pleasing would be a matter of personal taste. More to the point, I think, would be the question of tuning, reentrant or low G. Jazz uses a lot of extended chords, which can only be approximated on the four string Ukulele. So, you'd want to listen to how the chords sound with the two different tunings, and decide which sounds more "jazzy" to you. If you like the low G, then maybe you should go for the Tenor, as the larger body gives you a bit more resonance in the low end.

Or soprano, or baritone.

It's which suits you. You can play jazz on any size of uke, it's about the player not the instrument.

Thank you

Maybe I should rephrase my question...for those of you experienced players that play mostly Jazz on Uke, what size Uke do you play and why?

Thank you

rusty

I prefer tenor low g for anything jazzy as the low g provides a nice bass line and wider range. The sound of the tenor is fuller and the fretboard much easier to play up the neck.

To a certain extent I agree with the other posters that size isn't the defining factor for jazz, however. If you want a classic jazz sound on a ukulele which doesn't stand out straight away as being a ukulele sound then a tenor ukulele stung low bass or a baritone ukulele would be your best starting place. I'm sure that there are many here who play jazz on a concert ukulele yet its a bright jazz sound. A soprano ukulele struggles to sound like anything but a ukulele which when it comes down to it is why many like the soprano.

Anthony

Last edited:
Rusty, I have been hard core jazz cat since I first picked up the guitar thirty some odd years ago. (Ouch, I'm suddenly feeling old!) I currently play two very different instruments - a concert sized (15" scale) acoustic and a semi-hollow electric (steel strings) with an odd 16" scale. (Most tenor sized ukes have a 17" scale.)

I really like the size of the concert because of its portability - plus it is a much clearer departure from my guitars. It can get a bit cramped at times, but not terribly so.

Truth be told, however, I play the semihollow significantly more often. The higher tension of the steel strings is partly the reason for me preference - but the fact that I keep it with a linear tuning is more significant. Those extra five half-tones make a big difference when I am working out jazz arrangements.

Don't get me wrong, reentrant tuning is perfectly workable, and sometimes the close harmonies that it produces are preferable. Just keep in mind that, if you want to use a linear tuning, the larger body of a tenor will provide a better match, tone-wise.

I hope this helps.

I am relatively new to uke and play more ragtime than jazz. I am working my way up to jazz though.

I think you should consider a Tenor. You will have a 17.5 inch scale length with corrrespondingly more frets to get a greater range. Make the most of the extended range rather than concentrating on the low end. Thats what the Bass and the big horns are for. I wouldn't ignore Low G tuning but I think the reenrant g and the A being one tone apart offers real possibilities for Jazz and other musical forms once you learn how to take advantage of this feature.

The only reason I would consider a Concert is if that is the "Right" Size for you. You will play best on a scale length that is more comfortable to you. Jazz is not so much about range or how good you play but about playing your best.

Edit. Some here speak of the ukulele not sounding like a "Jazz" instrument. I have no objection to that. When I got interested in playing cajun music on the banjo, (not the typical sound), I asked Dewey Balfa about this. He said: " Tommy, you want to play Cajun banjo, you do it. The important thing is you play Cajun Music. I Guarantee it gonna sound good".

Last edited:
It's not the size of the instrument, but the tuning that makes the difference. Folk have recommended low-G GCEA for that reason. I go even deeper with CGDA, the same as the tuning for a tenor guitar used in a jazz or R&B setting. Any ukulele will accept just about any tuning you want to put to it (Lord knows I've tried to find one that won't work). So, better to experiment with a $5-10 different-tuned set of strings on an existing instrument than buy another instrument only to hear no appreciable sound change.

I am a concert fan, but my "jazz/blues" ukes are tenors with low g. The lower you tune, the more benefit you get from a larger body (it's a string tension thing). Style of jazz should dictate what tones you are looking for, and then getting a uke that will get them for you. In other words, what would you like to hear coming out of that sound hole when you play your favorite jazz?

I agree that tenor with low G is the most popular option for jazz players. But Ohta-san plays jazz on a soprano and I believe Benny Chong plays a bari. So anything can work.

The Kamaka Ohta-San model is a concert with a fretboard extended a bit to make it more like a tenor fretboard.

Jazz chords can be quite challenging on a concert neck. Kanilea makes a concert with a 1.5" nut that gives a little more room for fingers. Like others here, for jazz I prefer low G and tenor. But sometime I'll use a low G Kanilea concert and sometimes I'll use a high G. It depends on your hands and your reach. With my hands some chords are a hard reach on tenor.

I've just taken delivery of a tenor as I was struggling to get a decent sound out of "four-finger" chords above the 5th fret on my concert, it was just too crowded for me to be able to play accurately. I'm no virtuoso, or anything near it, but I get a jazz-type sound that I'm much more pleased with from my tenor rather than my concert. To keep in with the ukulele "feel-of-things" I've stayed with a re-entrant tuning, I found "low-G" tuning sounded too much like a guitar ... and I've already got one of those!

Non-re-entrant tuning will give a much "fuller" sound, if that's what you want :)

I'm a 56 years string players also. For me, it's either a tenor or baritone linear tuned. I also knew with all the years and quality instruments I've accumulated thru the years, a quality uke is a must for me; especially for jazz. I'm have a jazz archtop baritone being built now by Toby Chennell of Jazzboxukes.com. It'll be braced so I can use steel strings rather than nylon. Should be pretty cool.

I prefer either my tenor or baritone when playing jazz. Both are strung in low g and can either be mellow or you can early wail. But, like most things, it's a matter of opinion.

Let me thank you all for the great informative responses. And friendly! I appreciate all of you that took the time to offer your insights. I really learned a lot from you all. THANK YOU!

So I'm pretty convinced now to choose a Tenor. May I open up a "hornets nest" and ask for a recommendation for a "modest" priced Tenor suitable for Jazz? ;) This instrument purchase will be strictly for my pleasure and to entertain myself. I have no plans of performing with the Uke.

Thank all you gracious folks once again

rusty

Last edited:
a recommendation for a "modest" priced Tenor suitable for Jazz?

Ideally, whatever you can find locally that you like and can afford ;) Failing local availability, if you're in the UK, I'd recommend the Barnes & Mullins "Brunswick"-brand instrument, the BU4T in dark wood or the BU5T in maple. They're available through Amazon and other on-line retailers, or a local retailer may be prepared to order you one ... Good Luck :)

I am a concert fan, but my "jazz/blues" ukes are tenors with low g. The lower you tune, the more benefit you get from a larger body (it's a string tension thing). Style of jazz should dictate what tones you are looking for, and then getting a uke that will get them for you. In other words, what would you like to hear coming out of that sound hole when you play your favorite jazz?

I agree with Phil. I play Tenors. Low G. Wound 3 and 4th strings.

Top Bottom