greetings from Philly

photoshooter

Reaction score
Absolute beginner here. I'm primarily a visual artist but was feeling the need for a new creative outlet. I heard an interview with Jake Shimabukuro on the radio a few years ago and couldn't believe that sound was coming from an ukulele. Been thinking about it ever since. Yesterday I finally decided to treat myself and jumped in with both feet.

red_kala_zps93b14487.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the club. Lived in Philly for ten years. Great music town. Check out the Mermaid up Chestnut hill way. And find out about the Tuesday Groups. There are at least two in your area. Great places to play with others and solo. The Mermaid usually has musical opportunities 6 nights a week. Tell them Tommy Coughlin sent you. They don't know IamNoMan from a Hoagie.

Be careful Photoshooter it's very addictive. Born and raised in Philadelphia, the Fairmount section. Retired now in Stone Harbor, NJ. You will really enjoy this sight, a lot of good info and most importantly good people. Welcome and enjoy.

Thanks guys. I've been lurking on the forum for the past week and there's an amazing wealth of info here and lots of great people. I bought my uke from a local dealer and got some info on a group nearby. I'm in S.Philly.
I'm thrilled with my first uke but I must confess I'm also very eager to try building one. Woodworking is a hobby of mine and I'm a tinkerer by nature. Never built an instrument before but it looks like fun. I can see where it all becomes a little addictive.

JJFN: Philly to Stone Harbor. Sounds like you done good :)

Greetings and welcome. My Dad was born in Philly, but I haven't spent any time there. Family was "estranged." I still have many cousins in the area.
Good luck with your uking. Get in a uke club for best learning if you can.

Yes, welcome!

Aloha, and welcome to the forum. I dig that selfie with the Uke! You definitely have the forearm of a great Ukulele player in the making.

Lol, thanks. Well I've got the forearm, now to see if I still have enough brain matter to learn something new!

Top Bottom