Between K and M is L

TheCraftedCow

Reaction score
The posts often mention instruments beginning with K or M, and sometimes L as in Lanakai. What about a Hawaiian company in transition from Made in China to Made in Hawaii? The brand name is Leolani. It seems even MiC are nicely made and play nicely. www.leolani-ukulele.com

There is another L company in the USA who has his instruments made in Brauga,Portugal from solid Acacia blackwood (melanoxylon) with all wood trim, and they were designed by Bob Gleason of PEGASUS Guitars and Ukuleles. www.lehuaukulele.com

Any comments yea or nay about these two, or any other L company you know?

Last edited:
K? When I get smoking I'm playing L&Ms: Mainland, Martin and Lanikai. I also like Gold Tone 100s and Melody Minor's.

What is the difference between classic tenor and traditional tenor? Are there any more pictures of back, sides ,neck joint, back of head stock? And type of tuners.....nut material etc. They look fine. What about sound? Any sound clips?
Thanks

I was curious to see these ukes, but the Leolani web site puts me off so much with the audio that can't easily be turned off, and the overdone Flash, that I just skipped it.

Last edited:
My friend has a Lehua longneck soprano, and for an inexpensive ukulele it's pretty impressive. Really easy to play and has a nice tone. If I needed a budget uke (or a beater uke), I'd definitely consider this one because unlike many other budget ukes I've encountered, I think I'd actually enjoy playing it!

And - yeah. Mike is correct on all points re: the Leolani site in terms of usability, but I wouldn't let that deter me from buying one if they were decent ukes (can't say I've ever seen one, so I have no idea). For comparison - I see that Koaloha is *finally* in the process of launching a new site, but it's taken them a good long time. The old site is full of pages gone 404 and does not play at all well with either Safari or Chrome, and it's been this way for years, yet it certainly didn't stop me from buying one way back when :)

Luna is a nice L company. Mine was nicely set up by HMS.

Those are excellent questions. Did you notice the 2007 date at the bottom? Seriously, neither the site nor the prices have been changed since then. I will call John tomorrow morning with your questions. The only difference between Classic and Traditional is the trim around the edges and the sound hole. Cl. is ivory and black--Tr is a rope look. Both trimmings are real wood, not plastic.

I was curious to see these ukes, but the Leolani web site puts me off so much with the audio that can't easily be turned off, and the overdone Flash, that I just skipped it.
The song does cause mind rot doesn't it? How did you turn it off?

The song does cause mind rot doesn't it? How did you turn it off?

There are two tiny icons in the upper right, the left speaker icon turns off the audio, but it does that with quick fade instead of an instant off, which at first threw me and I clicked it a couple times and kept turning it right back on. Even for 2007 it's way over done. That Leolani web company must have sold them a bill of goods and charged them a ton of money for such an over built site.

Screen shot 2014-12-28 at 8.16 AM.png

Last edited:
There are two tiny icons in the upper right, the left speaker icon turns off the audio, but it does that with quick fade instead of an instant off, which at first threw me and I clicked it a couple times and kept turning it right back on. Even for 2007 it's way over done. That Leolani web company must have sold them a bill of goods and charged them a ton of money for such an over built site.

Screen shot 2014-12-28 at 8.16 AM.png

I am sorry I did not separate that Lehua is the one (silent site) that has not changed the price since 2007. Leolani has made changes to their site, and I agree they need another one.

I'll add some more L names: LoPrinzi and Lichty. :D

Leolani is the "house brand" name for the Glory Factory which builds instruments for a lot of major brands in China. Most Chinese factories have their own house brands but use a different name than the factory itself.

Lanikai and Leolani are the only two brands I know of (at least that start with an "L") that are building both in China and Hawaii.

Lulu Ukuleles

Top Bottom